Binary Options

Options

Comments

• iAMaLONDONER
    iAMaLONDONER Posts: 1,669 Forumite
    Options
    All to do with taxes. Your winnings from gambling are free of tax. Returns from Investment are not.

I see- I assume it applies to spread betting and the like too
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Options
    I see- I assume it applies to spread betting and the like too
    It depends what you are lumping in with spread betting as "and the like"...

Spread bets aren't taxable (if you're looking at it as a UK taxpayer).

However, CFDs (contracts for difference) which can provide very similar exposure to leveraged gains and losses on the same underlying assets, are taxable. Similarly a 'real' option contract that you buy for a price and sell for a different price, could produce a taxable gain. Whereas if you go to a spreadbet provider and bet on the change in underlying value of the option, you don't pay tax on your betting gains.

In some situations it can be handy to be using a taxable investment (for example, if you're in a situation where you have sufficient CGT allowance or CGT losses to cover the potential gains while any losses would allow you to bank more CGT losses for the future). There may also be a cost disadvantage to be doing a deal via spreadbet (e.g. size of the spread or margin interest payable, versus what it would cost you to be working with the real underlying financial instrument).

However, spreadbets can be a useful tax-free method of getting exposure to a market or a company if you can handle the level of risk involved.
  • Really Nice Discussion! I am using short term trades and getting much benefits. To this way you can Risk in Loses.
  • SallyAnne
    Options
    I came across "Binary Options" when I was researching Jason Taylor and his Brit Method which apparently is a replica of the Aussie Method, which boasts the "Binary Option" for quick profits, that has been already documented as a scam. The Brit Method is apparently a replica of the Aussie Method by the same scammers. To get the full story watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyMOArGBmWk
  • Dave.44
    Options
    Are all Binary Option sites scams?
    Who gains from it?
    Where does the money come from to make the payout?
    If a computer model gives an 80% success rate on each trade how does the owner of the platform make any money? Where does the payout come from. It can only be from the bulk of traders failing and losing all their money. So are they just following their nose and not the computer models?
    Brokers get their percentage on every trade. But BO's are not being traded. Are they? Spread betting is traded after a fashion so there is real money there to pay out gains, if any.
    I for one cannot understand the principle of the BO business.
    Any help appreciated.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,548 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Dave.44 wrote: »
    I for one cannot understand the principle of the BO business.
    Some would say it stinks.... ;)
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,676 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Are all Binary Option sites scams?
    Who gains from it?.

Not sure about all but it certainly seems like most are. The owner may be the one making the money
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • Dave.44
    Dave.44 Posts: 22 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 1 October 2016 at 1:46AM
    Options
    I just read a long article about how bad it is in Israel, and has been in Cyprus. Sites based there are offering services abroad. Even the best of the Binary Option sites are using sharp practice, deception and half truths at best. A few people seem to be successful at it but at least 80% lose all their money very quickly. On most sites it amounts to theft by a combination of "terms of agreement" that allow it and highly exaggerated sales practice, along with techniques that draw people into it with no escape and no way to get money out. If you accept a bonus you must typically trade 25 times your total deposit before you can take any money out, etc, etc.

I just wondered whether there are any properly regulated sites based in the UK where you can get some of your money back when you begin to fail.

Also, does a computer model actually exist that can make a better than chance prediction? If I devised such a software model I would be using it myself and keeping it secret. Or at least I would expect a very high fee to let others use it. It would seem possible to develop one based on technical analysis but computers don't read the news. Entering daily events to the model would be tricky.

The owner and his sales team are clearly the ones making the money.

I think it goes like this. As you typically gain 80% to 90% profit on a successful trade, then assuming that on average the site sees equal success and failure, the site makes at least 5 to 10% on average from all trades. You need to be a very sharp analyst to beat those odds, along with any little adjustments that the site makes on close completions where their model does not follow the true one exactly. This is allowable under their terms.

They give you help from analysts if you are about to give up so you begin to profit for a while, maybe hand over a bit more cash, then lose it all.

Well, now I know where the margin is for the broker/hosting site.

Anyone got anything to add or is that about it.
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Options
    Anyone got anything to add or is that about it.

https://www.fca.org.uk/consumers/binary-options-uk is the FCA's thoughts on Binary Options.
  • JohnRo
    JohnRo Posts: 2,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The binary option is
      ignore this and keep your money.
      pile in and lose your money.
    'We don't need to be smarter than the rest; we need to be more disciplined than the rest.' - WB
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure