MSE News: Paid-for EHIC site users could get refund

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,472
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Forumite
    Well, it seems you did the right thing by using the official (and free) website but then cocked things up by contacting a different (and chargeable) website to chase the cards up.
    I am now pursuing them for a full refund. ANY HELP OR ADVICE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!! I also have not received the duplicate copies of my wife and son's cards!

You need to check the website of the company that charged you and see what it says about any refund policy - and how it works for non-receipt of cards (i.e. your wife's and son's cards).
    I don't know if these companies can tell if a card has been issued, if they can they may say that they've fulfilled their part of the deal as you have received the cards you applied for, even though those cards came from the free website.

Did you spell your daughter's name correctly on the chargeable website's application form?
    Can you prove it? i.e. do you have a copy of the application form?
  • I know I submitted all details online with correct spellings and I know that my daughter's '2nd' card with the mis-spelling has to be the unofficial site a) because of what I have just mentioned ('I' wrote the online version out and b), because what they put for my daughter's middle name was a single letter followed by a hyphen! Without divulging my daughter's middle name, it is clear which card came from where.

Also, the other 3 cards came together stuck to one page in the same envelope and my daughter's came on its own and as yet, I have not received the others.

I know which bank account I used to pay and I will speak with them on asap.

As far as refunds go, I am struggling to find anywhere where it states anything about refunds on their site. However, seeing as our children's EHIC cards are attached to my wifes Card and NI Number, and they told me that it is only my wifes card that I pay for, there should be grounds for a refund having not received the card for my wife yet.
  • Just found their T's & C's:

Please find below the terms and conditions set out by the company NHS-E111-EHIC.org.uk, which are governed by the Laws of the United Kingdom. Any changes to these terms and conditions will only be considered if it is provided in writing by one of our consultants on an official signed and stamped company letterhead.

The company will process an application to the client's requirements and requests, and will not be responsible for any incorrect information provided. The company will make all efforts to obtain the correct European Health Insurance Card in the specified period of time. However the company will not be responsible for the following occurring; Refusal to issue the European Health Insurance Card, Refusal to accept the application, Issuance of incorrect European Health Insurance Card, Delay in processing the European Health Insurance Card.

Should the company have caused any of the above through error or omission, then the company's liability is strictly limited to the cost of a replacement European Health Insurance Card or refund of all fees paid and the company cannot accept any responsibility for consequential loss, such as, but not limited to: lost profits/income, lost airfares. If the European Health Insurance Card is rejected by the NHS/EU Healthcare Organisations for any genuine reason the company will fully refund the client with 14 days of the rejection.

Please note that if, during the application process the NHS make any changes to their requirements or terms and conditions, then you will be informed and the required information will be requested.

If for any reason this is not possible we will refund the you and void your application.
  • Pollycat
    Forumite
    Do I understand correctly that you paid one fee only - for your wife's card?

You've missed an important part of their T&Cs:
    REFUND POLICY :
    Refund of European Health Insurance Card Application Fee
    A full refund is only applicable when your application has been rejected by the NHS for the European Health Insurance Card, or in the case where in the application has not been processed.
    CANCELLATION RIGHTS : Once you have submitted your application with us online or over the phone, it is assumed that you have agreed that we may instantly begin the processing of your application and provide our services. As a result you will not have any right to cancel under The Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000. This is because, under Regulation 13(1) (a), you lose your right to cancel if you agree that we can start providing the services within the cancellation period.

Well, I guess you could try to get a refund based on the fact that this company have not provided a card for your wife (which you paid for) or for your son, plus the fact that your daughter's card has the wrong name on it.

Most of the other websites I've seen have more 'friendly' refund policies.

The website you used does say in several places (although not as clear as some of the other websites I've seen) that you can get the EHIC from the proper website for free and they list the 'value-added' services they offer for the fee they charge.

What reason would you give your bank to stop or recover the fee you've paid?
  • I have assumed a refund is applicable based on the fact I have not received my wife's card. The cards for the children are free anyway. I think what has happened is that because I did apply through the free legitimate process, that when this website tried to apply on my behalf, they couldn't because an order for those cards with those details (wife's NI number etc) had already been placed. They have then botched my daughter's card and sent it anyway, but as you say, and as I thought, I have not received the card I paid for, namely my wife's.

My bank have today said they will send out a form for me to reclaim the money because I have not yet received my wife's card.

The problem I have other than this is that the website is not responding to any messages and when I call, none of the sales team will put me through to anyone else to speak to. So whether I have grounds for a refund or not, they are not playing ball.
  • Pollycat
    Forumite
    The problem I have other than this is that the website is not responding to any messages and when I call, none of the sales team will put me through to anyone else to speak to. So whether I have grounds for a refund or not, they are not playing ball.

Do you need to contact this company for a refund or can your bank sort it out for you?

Have you been emailing the Admin Dept?

Have another look at the part of the T&Cs that I quoted in my post about 'Refund Policy'

Have you quoted this part in your emails to this company?
  • Thanks for your response once again Pollycat.

I have emailed quoting their terms and conditions for a refund now and I am waiting for a form from my bank to try and reclaim the money.
  • Pollycat
    Forumite
    Good luck, let us know how you get on. :)
  • Hi Pollycat (and anyone else who has read my posts),

I had just received a claim form from my bank to try and chase the refund I had not received and was compliling my evidence etc when I went into my online account and saw on the statement that Ia refund had just been issued.

What I find interesting is that they still have not replied to any of my communications and when I called the 24/7 helpline today from my mobile, my land line and my wife's mobile, they never answered, in fact someone answered and hung up straight away the first time I tried to call.

Anyway, thanks to the forum for letting me vent my circumstances and receive support in this matter. Thanks again to Pollycat for your time and input.

Best regards,

FairlyFrugal
  • Pollycat
    Forumite
    Glad you got your refund and thanks for coming back and letting us know.

TBH, the company you used sound worse than some of the others I've read about.

Remember - always carry your EHICs with you when on holiday.
    They are no good if they are back in the hotel safe. ;)

And now you've found MSE, why not check out some of the other boards, there's lots of great advice to be had on all sorts of topics.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure