Has anyone used 'we buy books.co.uk'?

Options
Just want to check they are legit and all before I go and put all the effort into diggin out my old books etc, or can anyone recommend anywhere else for this sort of thing and cd's dvd's etc. Not Ebay though, it confuses me!

Thanks

B

Comments

• Crowqueen
    Crowqueen Posts: 5,726 Forumite
    Options
    Try musicmagpie for CDs and DVDs.
    "Well, it's election year, Bill, we'd rather people didn't exercise common sense..." - Jed Bartlet, The West Wing, season 4

Am now Crowqueen, MRes (Law) - on to the PhD!
  • Ma_Belarch
    Ma_Belarch Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    Ooo - looks interesting... Are they a recycling firm, perhaps? - be interesting to see how much they pay. Have you got prices quoted yet?
    Celebrate diversity!
    :hello:
  • BLUEBIE
    BLUEBIE Posts: 251 Forumite
    Options
    I have been quoted 50 - 80p per book, which I was selling at car boot for 20p each anyway so might give it a go.
  • Ma_Belarch
    Ma_Belarch Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    I might well give it a go - thanks for the heads-up!
    Celebrate diversity!
    :hello:
  • Syman
    Syman Posts: 2,616 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    wish i knew of this last year when we moved. Gave away over 100 books.
    Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today!:mad:
    Cos if you do it today and like it...You can do it again tomorrow.. :p

Bookworm's Thread 2019 reading Challenge total :- 1/60
  • Crowqueen
    Crowqueen Posts: 5,726 Forumite
    Options
    Even 50p per book could get me a fair few quid :). Thanks for the info, OP.
    "Well, it's election year, Bill, we'd rather people didn't exercise common sense..." - Jed Bartlet, The West Wing, season 4

Am now Crowqueen, MRes (Law) - on to the PhD!
  • mandamonster
    Options
    I used webuybooks for the first time recently and was really happy with the prices they offered for some of my books, CDs, and DVDs (better than both zapper and Music Magpie for a number of things). They also had a really quick turnaround. Got my money through Paypal and lost out a little because a fee was taken so next time I'd probably request a cheque or bank transfer.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,830 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have loads of autobiographys, do they pay well for them,
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • CrazyRatLady_2
    CrazyRatLady_2 Posts: 158 Forumite
    edited 21 June 2012 at 6:52PM
    Options
    I've used them at least three times now and cannot recommend them highly enough if you don't want the hassle of selling books privately.
    They're very quick to pay and do bank transfer too - if I send them books at the beginning of the week, I usually have the money in my bank by the end of the week. They've never tried to haggle on price after receiving the goods either. They're also very quick and friendly when responding to enquiries on their facebook page.

Oh and if you go on their facebook page they regularly have codes for 10% extra - they currently have one on there valid until the end of the month.

The other similar company for books is zapper.co.uk - similar sort of thing and I check both sites for value and sometimes one gives higher amounts than the other. Zapper is very slow by comparison - about 3 weeks ago I sent out two boxes of books, one to each company, after a few days I had my money from webuybooks, I'm still waiting for the cheque from zapper and expect to get it next week (they don't have a BACS option, cheques do come through in the end but do take about 3-4 weeks).
    £2012 in 2012 member #15: £651.55/£2012
  • CrazyRatLady_2
    Options
    McKneff wrote: »
    I have loads of autobiographys, do they pay well for them,

Depends...
    Richard hammond's first one they won't take, Vince Neil's one was worth about £1.80 I think and I got a random biography on a French Prime minister that they're currently offering over £3 for.

They also accept ex library books.

Most modern fiction they don't take at all or is worth a very low amount.
    £2012 in 2012 member #15: £651.55/£2012
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport