Petition Against "Unlimited" bandwidth

Options
Not forcing anyone, just found this. If you're against ISP's portraying their services as "Unlimited" when in the small print they aren't, then sign up :)

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Unlimited-ADSL/
"Boonowa tweepi, ha, ha."

Comments

• Blacksheep1979
    Blacksheep1979 Posts: 4,224 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    spot on - thought you were against people having unlimited usage for a min there.
  • MadCowMan
    MadCowMan Posts: 343 Forumite
    Options
    Or you could conserve some of that bandwidth and not waste your time on petitions. If they didn't listen to 1.7 million signings for the road pricing one , I can't see them listening to one on dodgy advertising. Its something for the OFCOM or ASA to look into , not a quick fix mirage of democracy that that petitions site offers.

sorry if I sound bit jaded , my own forums seem to be awash with petitions for just about everything you can think of , I'm running out of outrage for all those causes.
  • eaglesaver
    eaglesaver Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    spot on - thought you were against people having unlimited usage for a min there.

me too.. couldnt quite work out why...
  • wolfman
    wolfman Posts: 3,225 Forumite
    Options
    Heh, sorry just noticed the poor title for the thread.
  • John_Gray
    John_Gray Posts: 5,824 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    You mean that you should have titled it The Government Petition Website is a Complete Waste of Time? <evil grin!>

John
  • superscaper
    superscaper Posts: 13,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    wolfman wrote: »
    Heh, sorry just noticed the poor title for the thread.

And the next petition is against "fast" broadband :D
    "She is quite the oddball. Did you notice how she didn't even get excited when she saw this original ZX-81?"
    Moss
  • stebiz
    stebiz Posts: 6,590 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Most companies do have a fair usage limit. So unless you are a customer who constantly abuses the bandwidth you should have no problems. I mean who in the right mind needs to download the equivalent of upto 6 movies a day (or more) and then say it is for residential purposes. So for everybody else they should be fine.

Hands up those who have had a phone call from their ISP for going over their bandwidth - and who used the net for genuine purposes as a residential customer - hands up!!! Not many I guess.

Stebiz
    Ask me no questions, and I'll tell you no lies
  • wolfman
    wolfman Posts: 3,225 Forumite
    Options
    I think the point is that it's being wrongly marketed and sold to the consumer. It's not as if it hasn't already caused problems.

If you sign up to something that is marketed as unlimited then that's what you should expect. You mention usage limits, but with faster speeds people stream video, download movies, music, software, updates, play games. And not always just one person you have a whole household often doing so, and on more than one pc/console/etc...

If there is say a 30gb fair usage limit, then they should sell it as 30gb per month, not "Unlimited".

The petition site may be regarded as "useless" but it will remain that way if everyone takes such a negative view.
  • arealhighlander
    Options
    I watched Working Lunch the other day when they talked about how limited "unlimited" broadband was. Why did they nopt have anyone on from the ASA?

I have no problem with ISPs limitingbandwidth, what I DO object to is how they continue to call it "unlimited" when it IS limited.
  • CHR15
    CHR15 Posts: 5,193 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Happily paying the TOP amount for the BEST service on offer, which STATES unlimited with NO RESTRICTIONS is one thing.

Paying for it but then being accused of ABUSING BANDWIDTH!! !!!!!!???

If people are prepared to pay excessive amounts to download at full speed for as long as they are able, Who is ANYONE to criticise them for doing just that???

If the ISP can't (or WON'T) offer the service, then they should STOP advertising it as such!

I'm in for signing even if it is a waste of time!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure