Any tips for getting National Trust membership discounted?

Options

Comments

• TJ421
    TJ421 Posts: 69 Forumite
    Options
    I bought my mum and dad a year's membership of the NT last year for about £60 (and got the 3 months' free membership offer when I paid by direct debit). I have the renewal letter now and the cost is lots more (~£90) once you include the 3 months we got free last time. Does anyone have any advice on how to get the 3 months free again? If one of my sisters bought it and set up the DD, would that work if the names on the membership cards are still the same?

Any help much appreciated, I am on maternity leave so won't be able to afford to renew if there isn't a way to register as if it were the first time again.

I saw the threads on the NZ and Scotland cards but would prefer to see if I can just do it with the English NT or my mum will be confused!
  • samnbaz
    samnbaz Posts: 27 Forumite
    Options
    Oh my god! All I can say is grow up and get off your moral high horses!!!! People come on here to try to save money! (If you don't agree with how don't carry on reading the bl&£dy post! And most def don't have a 5 page argument about who is morally superior!! It's pathetic! I have never come across a thread like this in the yrs I've used this site ( its behaviour more in line with the games forums on the likes of EA than one designed to help people without prejudice!!) opinions are like bottoms everyone has one but others don't need it shoving in their faces repeatedly!!!
  • qetu1357
    qetu1357 Posts: 1,013 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    samnbaz wrote: »
    Oh my god! All I can say is grow up and get off your moral high horses!!!! People come on here to try to save money! (If you don't agree with how don't carry on reading the bl&£dy post! And most def don't have a 5 page argument about who is morally superior!! It's pathetic! I have never come across a thread like this in the yrs I've used this site ( its behaviour more in line with the games forums on the likes of EA than one designed to help people without prejudice!!) opinions are like bottoms everyone has one but others don't need it shoving in their faces repeatedly!!!

But surely there is a moral dimension to saving money?

Or are you saying people can behave how ever they want regardless of morals?
  • qetu1357
    Options
    You seem very anxious to keep repeating the word 'charity' as an emotional support for your, imo, odd stance on this issue.

Were the NT a charity in the sense that say the Salvation Army is a charity, and a deprivation of twenty quid would likely lead to 20 unfortunate people not eating one evening, your stance would have some merit.

But, although a charity, I feel it is also an extremely ruthless business empire too, and far from providing roofs over the heads of the poorest in society - as most associate with a charity - the NT provides very exclusive expensive accommodation for generally the upper class who can live out their final years in the style to which they have been accustomed.

So perhaps in your argument you should stop pushing the emotional 'charity' word. Take that away though, and I don't think you have any valid points at all - moral or legal.

Well if we take away the word charity it does diminish the argument.

But the National Trust IS a charity and relies on income to further it's aims.

I do take exception to people trying to justify the fact they are ripping off a charity.
  • crispeater
    crispeater Posts: 1,072 Forumite
    Options
    are there any recent deals for NT?
    It only seems kinky the first time.. :A
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    For any Seniors reading this site. If you have been a member for 5 years and are over 60 you can get a substantial discount on membership. Currently costs £63.50 for a couple. This is not advertised, you will have to ask.

:A
  • needaholiday
    needaholiday Posts: 572 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I believe they are currently offering 12 months membership for the price of 9 months on their website if you pay by Direct Debit.
  • itch_for_a_glitch
    itch_for_a_glitch Posts: 10,705 Forumite
    Options
    Good aftenoon moneysavers.

I generally keep my head down and below the parapet, so to speak, but the remarkably protracted and laborious representations of qetu1357 on this thread have caught my eye, albeit I lapsed into brief periods of pleasant, dreamy sleep once or twice during study of his/her repetetive assertions of the immoral misdeeds of others who have, with their own money, subscribed to the New Zealand Historic Places Trust (NZHPT). However, I just thought, as I'm feeling quite upbeat having saved myself a few bob, that I'd advise readers that I've opted to take a chance on an extended period in purgatory and decided to risk a sound telling off by the aforementioned contributor and arbiter of the nation's moral behaviour......by signing up, not for a years worth of NZHPT membership, BUT for five and a half years worth of membership of the previously noted organization!!!! Cost me £137 for the five and a half years of joint, (over 60 years of age), membership.... (if you sign up for 5 yrs you get 6 months thrown in......they're a decent bunch over there in NZ) and which included the notorious and controversial second pass mentioned in earlier posts. (They even emailed back straightaway and asked, as it was joint membership, if I'd like to have my wife's name printed on the tickets as well as my own). The car parking aspect does present an element of uncertainty regarding whether or not you might be legitimately allowed free parking in NT car-parks and so I've legitimately sourced alternative 'Plan B' means of ensuring that I will be granted parking in National Trust car-parks without resorting to their somewhat pricey conventional pricing structures......and anyone with an ounce of imagination will quickly ascertain for themselves where one can be granted access to such a thing.

I do realise that qetu 1357 will be even more outraged and indignant at my impertinence.....but... well... what do I say....? As others have said, this is a money saving website not an online episode of Michael Buerk's Moral Maze so, I'm sorry qetu1357, you're not going to be happy but I guess you'll get over it in time.

Good wishes all.
    Unimaginitive, I must be.
  • qetu1357
    Options
    Good aftenoon moneysavers.

I generally keep my head down and below the parapet, so to speak, but the remarkably protracted and laborious representations of qetu1357 on this thread have caught my eye, albeit I lapsed into brief periods of pleasant, dreamy sleep once or twice during study of his/her repetetive assertions of the immoral misdeeds of others who have, with their own money, subscribed to the New Zealand Historic Places Trust (NZHPT). However, I just thought, as I'm feeling quite upbeat having saved myself a few bob, that I'd advise readers that I've opted to take a chance on an extended period in purgatory and decided to risk a sound telling off by the aforementioned contributor and arbiter of the nation's moral behaviour......by signing up, not for a years worth of NZHPT membership, BUT for five and a half years worth of membership of the previously noted organization!!!! Cost me £137 for the five and a half years of joint, (over 60 years of age), membership.... (if you sign up for 5 yrs you get 6 months thrown in......they're a decent bunch over there in NZ) and which included the notorious and controversial second pass mentioned in earlier posts. (They even emailed back straightaway and asked, as it was joint membership, if I'd like to have my wife's name printed on the tickets as well as my own). The car parking aspect does present an element of uncertainty regarding whether or not you might be legitimately allowed free parking in NT car-parks and so I've legitimately sourced alternative 'Plan B' means of ensuring that I will be granted parking in National Trust car-parks without resorting to their somewhat pricey conventional pricing structures......and anyone with an ounce of imagination will quickly ascertain for themselves where one can be granted access to such a thing.

I do realise that qetu 1357 will be even more outraged and indignant at my impertinence.....but... well... what do I say....? As others have said, this is a money saving website not an online episode of Michael Buerk's Moral Maze so, I'm sorry qetu1357, you're not going to be happy but I guess you'll get over it in time.

Good wishes all.

Very clearly you don't think morals come into - morals as in ripping off a charity by actioning some convulted workaround.

If you can live with yourself so be it, but I couldn't if I was you.

Some of us obviously occupy the higher ground.
  • roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 31 July 2013 at 7:31AM
    Options
    TJ421 wrote: »
    I bought my mum and dad a year's membership of the NT last year for about £60 (and got the 3 months' free membership offer when I paid by direct debit). I have the renewal letter now and the cost is lots more (~£90) once you include the 3 months we got free last time. Does anyone have any advice on how to get the 3 months free again? If one of my sisters bought it and set up the DD, would that work if the names on the membership cards are still the same?

Any help much appreciated, I am on maternity leave so won't be able to afford to renew if there isn't a way to register as if it were the first time again.

I saw the threads on the NZ and Scotland cards but would prefer to see if I can just do it with the English NT or my mum will be confused!
    You have to stop you current DD,(Tell them first!) and then renew as a new member, if you use a cashback site its even cheaper.
    NZ loophole dosent include parking, but I doubt anyone has been fined for this, as anyone who visits this thread knows that private parking "Invoices" are not enforceable.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure