PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Hoarding...not just on TV

Options

Comments

• alec_eiffel
    alec_eiffel Posts: 1,304 Forumite
    Options
    The way you've described how you're going to paint the room is exactly what I mean, it's not strictly traditional but it has a really traditional feel.
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    The way you've described how you're going to paint the room is exactly what I mean, it's not strictly traditional but it has a really traditional feel.

Thank you. It's helping to talk this through.

I am looking at vintage lAce on eBay and if I measure the windows I think that if we did that I could get it sorted quite quickly.

I did see a hugely expensive sheer voile with a deep gold lace trim (115 pounds for one, and I would have needed...well, a fair few, so could never have bought them!) and I liked it. It's difficult because I was brought up with no sheer layers and have never liked them apart from instead of summer curtains somewhere private or as mosquito netting, but the practicality is relevant here, but I don't want it to look practical! If I was used to this sort of thing it might be easier!

Thank you for your time alec:)
  • alec_eiffel
    alec_eiffel Posts: 1,304 Forumite
    Options
    Well, the way I see it is that even if you think my ideas are rubbish they might help you think of a way you would like to have things!
  • lostinrates
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Well, the way I see it is that even if you think my ideas are rubbish they might help you think of a way you would like to have things!

No rubbish ideas, just different implementations and ways of seeing things. It's valuable, and as you say, some of the others have a great eye and good training, I hope to benefit from more feedback.

And......I cleared that box on the landing! Very exiting. Found a pair of trousers I have been looking for fopr a year:o
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :p Oooohhh, LiR, haven't anything better to add than has been said already but just wanted to pop by and add another admiring comment. Love it and really like your pieces of furniture.

I've always fancied painting a place to look as if it has ancient art on its walls, sort of like you see those really old paintings on the plaster in churches, half faded to pastels, with the odd bits broken away, all mysterious and muted.

One of my all-time favourite things is the so-called Great Initial page of the Book of Kells, all wonderful colours and intricacy. I could state at that for hours.

alec, I also really like modern design with a Japanese twist, exp the proportions of trad houses with tatami and shoji screens and the tokonomo alcove. I really get that, and the simple pottery forms. I'd need a tidyness transplant in order to live in one, though..........:rotfl:
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    GreyQueen wrote: »

alec, I also really like modern design with a Japanese twist, exp the proportions of trad houses with tatami and shoji screens and the tokonomo alcove. I really get that, and the simple pottery forms. I'd need a tidyness transplant in order to live in one, though..........:rotfl:

I went to the British Museum today and headed straight for the Japanese gallery. I want their teahouse uplifted and put straight into my garden in place of the Shed of a Thousand Spiders.

Thanks for all your kind words, by the way. It is truly appreciated.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • lostinrates
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    :p Oooohhh, LiR, haven't anything better to add than has been said already but just wanted to pop by and add another admiring comment. Love it and really like your pieces of furniture.

I've always fancied painting a place to look as if it has ancient art on its walls, sort of like you see those really old paintings on the plaster in churches, half faded to pastels, with the odd bits broken away, all mysterious and muted.

One of my all-time favourite things is the so-called Great Initial page of the Book of Kells, all wonderful colours and intricacy. I could state at that for hours.

Well, we have what might be a priest hole, it's a bit claustrophobic, but I could give you a leg up and you could paint away! :D

Thank you.

I feel a bit like it might seem as if I was fishing for compliments, I was not.
  • lostinrates
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I went to the British Museum today and headed straight for the Japanese gallery. I want their teahouse uplifted and put straight into my garden in place of the Shed of a Thousand Spiders.

Thanks for all your kind words, by the way. It is truly appreciated.

I can think of no where better to go when feeling grief. To remember who has gone before and see greatness and beauty. Many cats would love japenese style I think, clean, focused, practical and light....just how cats love things to be. And the gravel gardens most would adore:D

My heart aches for your loss.
  • suzitiger
    suzitiger Posts: 947 Forumite
    edited 4 December 2012 at 1:24AM
    Options
    Wow, I popped on to de-lurk as I know this thread is full of like minded souls and I am so glad I chose today to do it as I got to goggle at your lovely pictures of your kitchen to be lostinrates, I love the style you are going for, its going to be so amazing! I usually read my daily email updates you see and I would miss things like that.

Well, I am still new to this thread but I thought you might like a bit of a back-story to get to know me :)
    I am late 20s and living with OH and have done for 3years, when I moved in with him I asked my parents to gradually bring all my stuff to our new flat so that i couldn't be in denial about how much stuff I have. :rotfl:
    This was good in some ways and horrible in others as the house is still full of boxes of kibble (or is it kipple?) either way they're full of it!
    My parents are both moderate hoarders and always have been as far back as I can remember...I am one too but i am trying to improve the situation, the more I get rid of things the easier it gets to let things go. I find freecycle and Ebay really help because I hate to just throw things out, if they can be reused or sold in some way that makes me much happier :j
    I must go to bed, this was a somewhat spontanious post. But I hope to chat with you all more on here and let you know about the decluttering progress i have made recently which I am sure you will enjoy hearing about, as I enjoy reading everuone elses triumphs on here
    :T
    Don't turn a slip up into a give up:D
    *NSD Challenge Nov 0/10* *£10 a day challenge Nov £0/£300*
    No buying unnecessary toiletries challenge-in it for the long haul
    :D

• Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    I can think of no where better to go when feeling grief. To remember who has gone before and see greatness and beauty. Many cats would love japenese style I think, clean, focused, practical and light....just how cats love things to be. And the gravel gardens most would adore:D

My heart aches for your loss.

Thank you again.

I did pop into the Egyptian gallery to see the cats as well. I think if any cat knew their history as mini goddesses, it would have been Mitzi. I can imagine her approving of the idea of being allocated her own personal army of mummified fishes and mice in tiny wooden sarcophagi.

She adored Japanese food - it was always sushi/sashimi for us, not just myself (ebi prawn or sake sashimi were her favourites) - and she definitely approved of my adopting a more streamlined decor style. She would have been very much at home in a Japanese house.

Not to forget the joy she would gain from sharpening claws on tatami matting...

[sigh]

I must focus on the remaining two cats now.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family