PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Hoarding...not just on TV

Options

Comments

• GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    bobble_hat wrote: »
    Hee hee The Resurwrecktion :A
    :D That is so brilliant that I'm grinning from ear to ear and wishing I'd thought of it myself.

((byatt)) that's so harsh and hateful and I feel for you. You've done the best you could and no one can ask any more of anyone than her best. Let it go and concentrate on your own needs and concerns.

I would have been livid if a family member had pulled the "blood relatives" speech as my family is a mixture of inlaws, outlaws and several generations of people who share no DNA with either Mum or Dad's side but who have been family for 60 years.

Mum was raised by foster parents for 20 years from 8 onwards and although they are long since passed over, their sons and their respective families are our family, too, spread across 2 countries. I never thought this unusual as I grew up but it caused some hard questioning about exactly who Mum was when an elderly relative died of an aneurism when Mum was visiting for the afternoon.

A case of she's the sister of my foster-brother's late wife and I've known her since I was 8 years old and she's like an auntie but no, we're not related. Real life is infinately complicated, isn't it?

Going into the fabric scrap box to make something with felt and a glue gun. Never let your children watch Blue Peter or they'll be warped for life. Advent Crown, anybody?
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    Thanks for your comments, ladies.

A birthday! And a Special One! Have a wonderful time!

As regards the return of the documents, I'd be inclined to return them in a cardboard box and a note saying 'No chequebook found. Suggest trying in ...... or asking .......'. And then just leave it at that - no need to reward someone's meanness with telling them exactly how they have hurt you, as they won't really care, anyhow.

After all, surely trying to write all about how much it's hurt is making it hurt all over again as you're thinking about it more? Return the stuff and it's all gone. No need to continue worrying about it afterwards.

Concentrate on yourself and what you need to do for yourself.

The consultant looked at the state of my hands and she's agreed the MTX is the best course of action. It's basically low dose chemo to depress the immune system enough to reduce inflammation (and prevent further joint damage). It can have some side effects which aren't pleasant, but not for everyone. So, I have to wait for the hospital pharmacy to get in touch to arrange training how to self inject and suchlike, I already have a great wodge of blood test forms (as I have to have bloods done every fortnight without fail as it can affect the liver, amongst other things) and I have to completely rethink pain relief, as I can't have any of the usual suspects there.

However, I also had a big shot of steroid whilst I was there, so my hands are already less swollen and I should start feeling better by the morning. So it's not too bad now. It was worse earlier when the lady at the till in M&S took one look at them and packed my bag of easy preparation dinners for me :)

Anyhow, I have [strike]a whole packet of[/strike] some reduced crumpets to declutter [strike]this evening[/strike] over the next day or so....

What a lovely, sunny last evening of summertime...
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Jojo, hope the crumpets help! Its horrid that treatments are often as bad as the condition they treat. I am getting on well with my new meds BUT, they are not perfect.....i cannot srink anything carbonated while taking them, and somethings have a very unpleasant taste. Tap water tatses worse than ever, as if i am hyper sensitive to the stuff in it, and i am always pretty aware of it, (i am such a fusspot i have favourite brands of bottled water, and i really can taste the difference on blind tastings). I just cannot seem to satisfy my thirst either.

Worse things happen at sea of course, but nevertheless these things are personal frustrations, discomforts (or pains) and hard to bear with a smile sometimes.

I hope the new treatment is helpful, and quickly.
  • SpikyHedgehog
    SpikyHedgehog Posts: 1,008 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just found this thread:T great reading folks...

Recently moved from large 2 bedroomed place to a 1 bedroomed small(and I mean small) bungalow, with no space and I'm currently surrounded by huge piles of cardboard boxes and plastic crates, can't even close the loo door when I want the loo:eek:. I'm so embarrassed by the stuff lying around that I haven't invited anyone to my new place yet.
    :eek::p
    Got so bad yesterday when I came to cook a meal I realised I hadn't even unpacked my pots and pans:o as I've been eating out the local Chinese and chip shop this has to stop as I have been made redundant and can't afford to be wasting money like this.

How do you take that first step to decluttering, I should have done this before I moved, no wonder the man with a van had few weeks off with a hernia:D:rotfl: wasn't my fault then again can't confirm this :cool:

I now have lots and lots of time on my hands, access to local tip up the road, and Finn my trusty Ford Focus has a huge boot, but I'm a trainee lazy git..

What makes it worse my friend and I have great fun showing each other how we have decorated/found bargains etc and she's done her 1 bed place out and all I've done is sit on my ample butt, think I've had a bit of depression re the redundancey but that's no excuse living like I'm on the point of moving house instead of having just moved in.

So come on folks what motivates or motivated you?, I :rotfl::p
    need some get up and go tips, also have an inspection from Housing Association, I made a fuss re the floor of the wet room and they are coming to have a look at 9am September 12th so the clock is counting down to then, that's my boot up the bum to start the big declutter...

So I've opened one huge cardboard box:eek: how many computer cables do I need, less of the just incase scenario, I have to be positive, will post later after I have cleared box n!mero one....have promised myself a glass of wine at 9pm provided I have cleared said box...wish me luck.:rotfl:

Good luck :-) and you will get there. I find it so daunting thinking of doing the whole house, but find I can make progress if I try to tackle 1 small area at a time.
    viv1956 wrote: »
    Need some help sorting my cleaning cupboard - how many cloths does one person need - I have 4 box loads......how do I get rid?

I do use cleaning cloths, & I don't think I have too many. I guess my first thought is about how you wash them - my dad has a handkerchief mountain, as mum won't put anything else in the washing machine with them, & only has a super huge washing machine that won't do a half setting... DS1 has a few hankies as I soak first but put with other stuff in a hot wash. Might be worth thinking about why/how you got so many?

As for getting rid of some, I'd bin them as I used them as I saw they were getting tatty. Or stick a boxful in the textiles recycling bag for the recycling bin.
    Byatt wrote: »
    Sorry I missed this in my own self absorption...

I think it happens a LOT, Jo-Jo. They have to advertise but have already chosen someone. It not only disappointing but cruel, because we invest so much in a job application, more than just the form filling part, and they at least could have the decency to contact you and other applicants.

Can you pop in and ask about the job as you have not heard anything? Just so they see they are dealing with "real" people.

Hugs. xx

I like this idea.

Thank you again for my birthday wishes, Byatt :-)

I had forgotten that the bin men will take more recycling if its in a clear bag next to the bin - haven't got a clear bag though, so will see if they'll take it in an almost clear bin liner... If not, into the emptied bin the stuff can go for a fortnight later.

I put on a pair of shoes to put the bin out last night, & looked at the shoes when I went to put them back in the shoe cupboard... & put them in the CS bag instead; I looked at the sandals I wore this morning to get the bin in, & put them in the clothes recycling bag. I've just gone & put 2 pairs of boots in the bags too, I've got a pair of cotton traders boots upstairs already, so why was I keeping the 2 pairs that hadn't worn well last year?

Family... My dad made me cry at my sister's wedding earlier this year when he said in his sober, written out before hand speech, that her new husband was the best son in law ever... Ok, I know & understand how dad feels about Errant Husband, but it still hurt me to hear him say it, & he's my boys' dad. & later on said he'd have given a speech at my wedding if I'd asked him - I pointed out that not only had we asked him, but he had done a speech. After drinking though...
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z #37 - waterproof wearing cage customiser, chief of cable ties and duct tape

It's me, DS1 (24), DS2 (16), and the lurcher.
  • sjprmc01
    sjprmc01 Posts: 917 Forumite
    Options
    Hope everyone is well and ((hugs)) to all who need them!

Just popped on with an observation. 'life would be so much simpler if I wasn't consumed by 'stuff' '

Have done a clear out of youngests clothes most of which is to be given away. I've gotten a lot less bothered about chucking stuff but I still cannot get by the feeling that anything I chuck is just a drop in the ocean. I want to have the guts to post y before pics but I don't even know how to!
    No more unnecessary toiletries Feb 2014 INS: 24 UU: 13. Mar 2014. INS: lost count, naughty step for me! UU: 8
  • valk_scot
    valk_scot Posts: 5,290 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I ventured up to the attic today.......:eek:

I wasn't actually intending to do any decluttering, I needed to get sleeping bags and mats down for the kids. While I was there though I was thinking that I had some time in hand, why not take down the bag of stuff I sorted out last time for the tip? Oh, and the shelves for the kitchen which do indeed need to go up in the kitchen next week. And I need to look in the clothes boxes to see if there's a school fleece jacket that fits DD...

So I started on the clothes boxes. First of all though I found the empty box for the deep fat fryer I bought last year, which I have never used and which is currently sitting in the CS pile. So that got thrown down the hatch on top of the sleeping bags. Then I looked in the four big cardboard boxes which I've always used to store CS or handmedown clothes that were too big for the kids just yet. Two of them were empty!! So I chucked them down too, they will be useful for packing stuff to go to the CS. In the other two I found the fleece for DD and another couple of winter things that could go straight to her cupboard and some bigger size sports things that I do need to keep. And the rest I decided could just go straight to the CS, more than half in fact. So one box and the clothes went down the hatch leaving me with one half full box where once there were five, if you include the DFF box.

It took me ten minutes in all to do a job that I've been dithering about for six months because it would take me ages. :j Why is that do you think? I know I do find the thought of all the junk in the attic rather overwhelming because of the sheer volume of it. But also I know I keep things because they appeal to me or they might just be useful one day, though that day is unlikely to arrive. Today I felt ruthless though.....:D
    Val.
  • HannahIOW
    HannahIOW Posts: 2,958 Forumite
    Options
    Well I've made a tiny start on a charity bag... A pair of shoes, some hair accessories, fashion tights new in packets (never gonna wear bright blue or pink anyway lol) and started a rubbish bag too with most of my old socks that dont get worn. Baby steps...
    £2 Savers Club 2011 (putting towards a deposit :)) - £588
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,957 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Fwiw i put my foot in my mouth daily,

Someone at work got a fortune cookie that said

"a closed mouth gathers no feet" :D

My worst one was when we were out for dinner with people that OH vaguely knew and i didn't know at all. It was a retirement dinner for a train driver employee of OH's and his wife. We were talking about suicides on the railways (cheery subject! :p) and i quipped

"Oh the drivers could put stickers on the side of the cabs for every one they get - like used to happen in the war when they shot down a german"

The wife was german :eek::o

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

She took it well was saying "oh it's like "don't mention the war"" and apparently is still dining out on it 16 years on. But then - so am i!

Sorry Off Topic. About to declutter 3 for today, perhaps I'd better up it to 5.
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • SpikyHedgehog
    SpikyHedgehog Posts: 1,008 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    bobble_hat wrote: »
    Well all you lovely people, I won't be online for a few days. I have tomorrow and Monday off work for a long weekend, during which I turn 40!

My lovely hubby has some things planned but hasn't given anything away yet, but I shall not be de-cluttering during my break, except for a run to the tip tomorrow morning. I think I'm being taken out for dinner tomorrow night, but after that I'm none the wiser.

There will not be a surprise party as I'm still a bit too fragile to cope with a party/people/a fuss. I had my celebrations when my very bestest friends and their families visited us for a weekend.

I'll tell you all about it next week :beer: :beer:

Have a great weekend everyone, and do take some time to put your feet up have a treat and a small break from the Kibble, you deserve it :A

Have a wonderful birthday!
    Fwiw i put my foot in my mouth daily, colleagues and friends wpuld be a minor one for me. Does sound a bit like, 'friends, romans, countrymen' i always think when i start emails with groups, rather than peoples names (peaoples names in a row remind me of tatiana calling peaseblossom, mustard seed et al in midsummer nights dream)

Linen. I have a lot of linen. Some i do not like and i am building my self up to taking it to the charity shop. Other bits i like the feel of, (high thread count) but dislike the colour....(shocking pink, what was i thinking, shocking pink?? I also have a baby pink sheet that is now almost white). Cannot quite bring myself to get rid of this. I am umming and ahhing.

Also, wonder if pet owners can help...how many 'dog towels' etc do you keep? i am guessing a trunk ful is rare? I do use them all in bleak winter weeks though, in front of dors, on their beds, to rub them down, in the back of the car.....

If i cut down on these then a animal rescue might be grateful?

If you need to use them all, its not too many :-) & I'd CS the linen you don't like first, & sort the rest when you feel ready to after that.
    Thanks for your comments, ladies.

A birthday! And a Special One! Have a wonderful time!

As regards the return of the documents, I'd be inclined to return them in a cardboard box and a note saying 'No chequebook found. Suggest trying in ...... or asking .......'. And then just leave it at that - no need to reward someone's meanness with telling them exactly how they have hurt you, as they won't really care, anyhow.

After all, surely trying to write all about how much it's hurt is making it hurt all over again as you're thinking about it more? Return the stuff and it's all gone. No need to continue worrying about it afterwards.

Concentrate on yourself and what you need to do for yourself.

The consultant looked at the state of my hands and she's agreed the MTX is the best course of action. It's basically low dose chemo to depress the immune system enough to reduce inflammation (and prevent further joint damage). It can have some side effects which aren't pleasant, but not for everyone. So, I have to wait for the hospital pharmacy to get in touch to arrange training how to self inject and suchlike, I already have a great wodge of blood test forms (as I have to have bloods done every fortnight without fail as it can affect the liver, amongst other things) and I have to completely rethink pain relief, as I can't have any of the usual suspects there.

However, I also had a big shot of steroid whilst I was there, so my hands are already less swollen and I should start feeling better by the morning. So it's not too bad now. It was worse earlier when the lady at the till in M&S took one look at them and packed my bag of easy preparation dinners for me :)

Anyhow, I have [strike]a whole packet of[/strike] some reduced crumpets to declutter [strike]this evening[/strike] over the next day or so....

What a lovely, sunny last evening of summertime...

A friend is on the same/very similar sounding injections, & says they do leave her feeling exhausted after them, but do help.
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z #37 - waterproof wearing cage customiser, chief of cable ties and duct tape

It's me, DS1 (24), DS2 (16), and the lurcher.
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,670 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Right - I'm ready to show you the "before" & "after" pics of DS3's room

This isn't good but believe it or not, it was already half sorted at this point:

Jmsroomb4.jpg

Two weeks later, after rehoming most of the junk & finding appropriate storage for the rest, not to mention making the roman blind from remnants & leftovers & wielding a paintbrush every other spare moment:

jmsroomafter.jpg

It's now housing a foreign student for two weeks (should have been two but one was too ill to travel) to help me earn the money to go out to Chile to visit DS3. So there can be monetary rewards to decluttering, never mind any possible value of the clutter itself. :D
    Angie - GC May 24 £50.58/£450: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure