Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

Donate your old bras ....

Options

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,042 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It has been mentioned before (but don't feel bad that you couldn't find it!) so I'll merge with the existing thread!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Contains_Mild_Peril
    Options
    DragonDosh wrote: »
    Hi!

I was just about to send off my bras to the BreastTalk appeal, when I found this alternative one:

http://www.bagitup.org.uk/Campaigns.aspx

Yorkshire Air Ambulance are aiming to collect 200,000 bras, which will net them £10,000 for their appeal, plus the bras are still sent to overseas areas where they can be used.

Seems to me that 2 different communities benefit from one donation!

I rang to check and the appeal is still current and I also found this website which also suggests it's genuine:
    http://www.brighouseecho.co.uk/news/Boost-for-39Bag-a-Bra39.3965561.jp

I'm not connected to this appeal or website, jsut thought it was good to have an alternative.

I think I also heard something that said Oxfam will now accept bras in their clothing collections/donations - but you may have to make the shop staff aware of it.

Hope this helps! :j

I volunteer in an Oxfam shop, and apparently good clean bras are among the most useful items to send to the needy in third world countries because they're quite complicated to manufacture (especially compared with things like T-shirts), yet they're fairly light so don't cost a fortune to send to wherever they're needed.
    Poosmate wrote: »
    I did have to chuckle at one sentence in the BreastTalk website where they said they'd also be sending bras to women in countries where the price of a bra is more than a meal for their family. I wondered if they would send me one then! lol I've not long discovered that Matalan do larger size pretty bras for £7.
    I thought that too! I think anyone bigger than a D cup (or maybe F cup is they have a big family) can buy a family meal for less than the price of a new bra in the UK. The difference is, most of us can afford to feed our families and buy new bras when needed.
  • Lolliloo
    Options
    is this a registered charity - I cant see from their website
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,042 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Lolliloo wrote: »
    is this a registered charity - I cant see from their website
    Looking at it carefully, I don't think breasttalk is a charity. From the bra appeal page I quote:

We will be sending the bras to various charities in the UK and overseas.

In the light of that I will just ask the abuse team to confirm that it's OK to have it on the Charities page.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Former_MSE_Andrea
    Options
    Hi everyone!

As that's just one of several shops mentioned in this discussion, and this thread's been included in the weekly email as part of the Charities board we'll leave it here.

Andrea :)
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • Ruthio
    Ruthio Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    I sent 4 lovely bars that just dont fit me on Monday, it cost me £1.41 2nd class, and about....12p for the padded envelope...

I dont do much for charities, so at least this way i feel i'm helping out, by simply clearing out my cluttered undies drawer!

I bet all women have got some nice bra's lurking that they just cant bear to part with, because theyve grown out of them, or spent loads on them....Even though you are more likely to increase in size than decrease!
  • Chell
    Chell Posts: 1,683 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    Looking at it carefully, I don't think breasttalk is a charity. From the bra appeal page I quote:

We will be sending the bras to various charities in the UK and overseas.

In the light of that I will just ask the abuse team to confirm that it's OK to have it on the Charities page.

I wondered this too, is there an alternative place to send bras to? The air ambulance link is no longer working.

My Mum is clearing my Nans house and has a pile of bras to get rid of, I've been looking for somewhere to send them to.
    Nevermind the dog, beware of the kids!
  • blue_monkey_2
    blue_monkey_2 Posts: 11,435 Forumite
    Options
    Chell, I've sent you a PM. If anyone else wants the details then please feel free to PM as it is on my website and I do not want to break any rules by putting them here!!

I sell underwear online and since seeing a link for the Hope & Familes Orphanage a while back I had a lot of bras that I bought for my market stall but they were not branded and once I stopped doing the stall rather than have them clogging up my garage for an eternity I donated them all to the H&HO and then they told me they had too many so now I promote two other worthwhile causes. I promote these on my site and in my newsletters too as having bras is something we all take for granted. We all have a few spare bras we keep 'just in case' (of what I am not sure but I have some too, LOL) but if you have some you want to recycle then please do ask for the details.

If you have a local homeless shelter nearby then they will also be very grateful because many young ladies who go to these shelters do not have the luxury of being able to afford bras - just think of these charities before you bin a bra or take it to the tip as someone else might desperately want what you no longer need. :)
  • margaretclare
    margaretclare Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    Options
    Ruthio wrote: »
    I sent 4 lovely bars that just dont fit me on Monday, it cost me £1.41 2nd class, and about....12p for the padded envelope...

I dont do much for charities, so at least this way i feel i'm helping out, by simply clearing out my cluttered undies drawer!

I bet all women have got some nice bra's lurking that they just cant bear to part with, because they've grown out of them, or spent loads on them....Even though you are more likely to increase in size than decrease!

I've just sent some. This is the time of year for clearing-out! One or two of them had hardly been worn, but I don't think I'm going to shrink back into them!!

(Why do older ladies get bigger boobs when they're no longer any use to us and are just a darned nuisance, nice blouses won't button across the chest?)

I am a great believer in recycling where possible.
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • rarrarrar
    rarrarrar Posts: 142 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oxfam ( and probably other charity shops) are also happy to take unwanted bras for sorting and forwarding to appropriate outlets.
    Bras are a complex item to design & manufacture and so their sale or donation in the 3rd world countries to which they are shipped doesnt damage the local clothing industry.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure