»

EBay Final Value Fee Increase Private Sellers

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH 31/3
RESCUE FLIGHTS FOR STRANDED BRITS * SCHOOL MEALS VOUCHERS * BRIGHTHOUSE COLLAPSES

EBay Final Value Fee Increase Private Sellers

25 replies 5.4K views
steveE2steveE2 Forumite
1.2K posts
Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
✭✭✭
On Tuesday 10 July 2012, the maximum final value fee for private sellers will increase from £40 to £75. This new final value fee cap will only impact listings with a sale price above £400.
This change applies to private sellers and will only affect items which are listed from 10 July 2012 onwards. Fees for business sellers are unchanged.
Full details of eBay fees for private sellers can be found here.
http://www2.ebay.com/aw/uk/201206.shtml#2012-06-07103615

Replies

• soolinsoolin Forumite, Board Guide
    64.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    That will make a lot of business sellers very happy, starting to level up the playing field a bit.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
  • sham63sham63 Forumite
    1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    That's terrible news!

I'm having some very bad luck today, that's just made it worse!
    64.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    sham63 wrote: »
    That's terrible news!

I'm having some very bad luck today, that's just made it worse!

Private sellers though are going to have very limited amounts of things over £400 to sell, so it is hardly a real,issue. It is business sellers with high end stock who already have the uncapped FVfs that suffer by not having caps on fees.

as a private seller I don't think I have ever sold anything over £400 anyway.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
  • CrowqueenCrowqueen Forumite
    5.7K posts
    You have to sell something majorly expensive to pay that sort of money.

TBH if I had something worth that amount I'd sell it off eBay, just like I'd never spend that much on eBay on one item; too many things that could go wrong in both directions.

And if you do end up paying that amount in fees, it's probably worth it because there's no other site where anyone would fork over that for something sight unseen to a private seller.
    "Well, it's election year, Bill, we'd rather people didn't exercise common sense..." - Jed Bartlet, The West Wing, season 4

Am now Crowqueen, MRes (Law) - on to the PhD!
  • sham63sham63 Forumite
    1K posts
    ✭✭✭
    soolin wrote: »
    Private sellers though are going to have very limited amounts of things over £400 to sell, so it is hardly a real,issue. It is business sellers with high end stock who already have the uncapped FVfs that suffer by not having caps on fees.

as a private seller I don't think I have ever sold anything over £400 anyway.

My interest is in Guitars.

There is a thriving 'private seller' market.
    64.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Again though a true private seller wouldn't have more than a few high end guitars, so unlikely to be much affected.

However, it is interesting to note that some collectors must live in a storage containers as they have so much private stock and some even have shops and business names.
    New to Forum? Guide
    64.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Gosh, I've just found a seller of musical instruments (includings a great many pianos) with a business name, asking for people to sell him things, has a full business layout and is...a 'private' seller.
    New to Forum? Guide
  • sham63sham63 Forumite
    1K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, there are quite a few sellers like that!

I wonder whether this increase will lead to more 'off Ebay' sales as well? I regularly see guitars listed that are suddenly 'no longer for sale' - I'm guessing that deals have been struck!

I think a saving of £75 for a seller will make this route much more tempting.......

More sellers will turn to Gumtree as well, I guess.
  • Oliver14Oliver14 Forumite
    5.9K posts

Sounds like the 'Private sellers' should be telling the tax man
    'The More I know about people the Better I like my Dog'
    Samuel Clemens
  • edited 8 June 2012 at 6:00PM
    CrowqueenCrowqueen Forumite
    5.7K posts
    edited 8 June 2012 at 6:00PM
    Yes, there are quite a few sellers like that!

I wonder whether this increase will lead to more 'off Ebay' sales as well? I regularly see guitars listed that are suddenly 'no longer for sale' - I'm guessing that deals have been struck!

I think a saving of £75 for a seller will make this route much more tempting.......

More sellers will turn to Gumtree as well, I guess.

It won't affect anyone unless the sale is worth over £400. What people are forgetting is that it won't affect the vast majority of people - only in a few markets is that a routine sum of money to be changing hands. Others should really be paying top-whack because they are not declaring an obvious business status. This gives them less incentive to remain private sellers.

From a buyer's POV I would not shell out £400+ without the money being properly protected - which means that even if people go elsewhere to sell something, they will be hard pushed to find buyers (an important part of the equation in any selling market). I shop on eBay, Amazon and Play, and with business sellers, because I know if something goes wrong I can easily get my money back. Without that guarantee, I wouldn't hand over that sort of cash, full stop.

So people who want to avoid paying eBay can go wherever they choose, but if they expect the buyers to follow them to a cheapo site, they will be disappointed.

The way some people post, I think a lot of sellers out there think money is handed out randomly by the government, not by the buyers they sell to, and their only priority seems to be raking it in for themselves.

At some point, they have to pay for the services a site like eBay provides, which is attracting the customers in, whether through advertising they would pay a lot more than £75 for (or even the 70p it is more likely to be) and buyer protection, which actually increases the chance of someone taking a risk on a private seller.

I think someone on the community forums is saying they could pay £70 for an ad in Private Eye - maybe so - but I wonder how many buyers that would get them, and it entirely misses the whole point that he would have to sell something worth £700 simply to incur that fee - at which point he is about £630 better off anyway. Plus the item actually reaches that amount at auction because there are enough buyers to push the bidding up that high (unlike on some other sites where I've seen company-sponsored auctions for brand new cameras go for a knock-down price because there are simply no bidders to bid on them).

A lot of people have a lot of thinking to do. When the dust settles, it will be business as usual for most people. If this puts some people off, it will probably be the people who are scared about having their buyers chase them for money for something that doesn't work, which of course eBay allows and the freebie sites leave up to the expensive court system.

I know where I'm sticking as a buyer.
    "Well, it's election year, Bill, we'd rather people didn't exercise common sense..." - Jed Bartlet, The West Wing, season 4

Am now Crowqueen, MRes (Law) - on to the PhD!
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support