Water softener e501

Options
Has anyone used this water softener before? I can't find any reviews on it, but the price seems good, its £500 inc installation and a drinking water system included, and its a timer controlled system (not sure what this means!)

http://www.ewtechnologies.co.uk/EWT-E501-timered-water-softener.php

Appreciate any guidance on these??:j
We got rid of the kids. The cat was allergic. ;)

Debt at LBM (Sep 07): £13,500. Current debt: [STRIKE]£680[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£480[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£560[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£13[/STRIKE] £0 overdraft :D
Current aims - to start building up savings
1st £1000 in 100 days - £1178.03 :D 2nd £1053.38/£1000 :D 3rd £863.59/£1000 :o
:j

Comments

• eowyn_1704
    Options
    There is a deal on groupon for this water softener at the moment and I was contemplating buying it.

I also have not found any reviews so was wondering if you brought it and whether it was worth it?
  • yangptangkipperbang
    Options
    Looks like a fairly standard single cylinder machine - which are a far better bet (financially) than the all singing/all dancing twin cylinder models.

However - I am not overly impressed with the website English/grammar is very poor - makes you wonder about the rest of the company !

There are a lot of cowboys in the softener trade............
  • Innys
    Innys Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    Options
    I agree with YTKP.

In addition, it's regenerates according to a timer, not meter based. So, if the timer doesn't reflect your water useage, there's a risk of water not being softened or salt being used unnecessarily.
  • yangptangkipperbang
    Options
    Innys wrote: »
    if the timer doesn't reflect your water useage, there's a risk of water not being softened or salt being used unnecessarily.

This is true to some extent, a basic timed softener may use a little more salt to run, but this cost is usually well offset by the greatly increased cost of buying/running a metered/twin cylinder*/block salt** using softeners. You set the timer to suit your usage from experience, if you find one day that your kids have brought home the school's entire laundry to do - you just do a manual regeneration.

Something else to remember is that there is no such thing as "soft" or "hard" water - it is just degrees of hardness or softness. From the moment you start using your softener (after it has regenerated), the softness of each successive gallon (litre) of water decreases. The user wouldn't notice any difference between under-softened water (it would actually require a huge amount of hard water to pass through the resin to completely negate its effectiveness) and over-softened water.

* Twin cylinder models usually cost 75 - 100% more than single cylinder.

** Block salt is horrendously expensive ! it is priced at £4-65 to £9-99 for 8 kg on the web - I pay £5-50 for 25kg for granular salt from my local agricultural dealer. The sales patter for this is that it is "more convenient" :rotfl:
  • Folks, did anyone on this thread finally consider EWT technologies E501? Even if you decided on something else, I would be very interested in your views of how you came down to the final shortlist of 3 and what you went for? Am interested in EWT's offer and wanted to know someone else's experience - would be appreciated!
  • Paul_D_Minkey
    Options
    I know this is an old thread but, I'm also looking to buy from EW Technologies. I've had quotes from other companies of anywhere between £1000-£1600 so I'm hoping this is as good as it seems?
  • basicblue2k
    Options
    The offer has come up again on Groupon and I was wondering if someone has any experience to share.

Thanks for your help!
  • chodu666
    chodu666 Posts: 24 Forumite
    edited 27 June 2017 at 6:58PM
    Options
    I know this is an old thread but, I'm also looking to buy from EW Technologies. I've had quotes from other companies of anywhere between £1000-£1600 so I'm hoping this is as good as it seems?
    The offer has come up again on Groupon and I was wondering if someone has any experience to share.

Thanks for your help!

I recently had an "EWT Gold 500" installed for £499. Its a timer based system and also included an installed water filter in the price.
    I was offered a metered system for £620 but declined.

So far i am very happy but it is my first water softener so have nothing to compare to.

Installation was very efficient and took approx 3.5 hrs. The fitter seemed very experienced.

I had seen numerous promotional adverts for EWT in the metro newspaper and on groupon. I was very sceptical as i knew nothing of them. After learning that a friend of my sister and other members of his family had used them approximately a year ago, i finally decided to the plunge.

*referral removed by ForumTeam*
  • EWTUK
    Options

Hey, This EWT Technologies
    You can buy our water softener from our website.

You can get it more much less price than £1000, please contac us for exact price in your area.

Thanks!
  • 128hdays
    128hdays Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    I recently had the EWT 606 system installed and really can't fault the unit or the company. The engineer was very pleasant and tidy, installed the unit inside 2 hours and then left me a water test kit that i can check to make sure the system is working properly. It comes with a 30 day money back guarantee and my next door neighbour already has an EWT system for the last 3 years with no complaints so that's why i went with them and the fact that they are half the price of other companies.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure