PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

July 2012 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• jedi82
    jedi82 Posts: 410 Forumite
    Coxy11 wrote: »
    Happy Birthday! Assume that you know blueberries need ericaceous (sp) soil (low pH, acidic soil), so if you have chalky, lime soil you will need to keep it in a pot. HTH.

There is a thread dedicated to Motherships Second Purse system here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3745005&highlight=second+purse+challenge

Come and join the fun :rotfl:

Thanks Coxy, the present was even more impressive because he bought the special compost too! Some people want jewellery, I'm happy with some mud :rotfl:

Jedi xx
    Finally getting my life on track. Onwards and upwards.
    BSC No 327
    GC Jan £336.91/£450
    GC Feb £0/£400
  • jumblejack
    jumblejack Posts: 6,599 Forumite
    Morning all, esp Flo:j

Good to have you back!!!

Not sure what we are having today! I have some LO pasta from last night for a quick dinner.

I made a rose petal and elderflower cordial last night but next time I won't follow the recipe.

The recipe for cordial I used states that you melt the sugar in water then plunge the flower heads in and let them steep for 24 hours.

The hot water discoloured them and the solution this morning is not as fragrant as the champagne mix was.

Next time I will allow the syrup to cool first.

Hava a fab n frugaltastic day peeps :T

Ps, the dog goes back today:T:j
    :A Every moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.!:A
    Grocery Spend Weekly Challenge (Sat-Fri):£30.50/£40
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    £15 for diesel to add to my 'all in' target and £4.85 on some eye drops for my poorly eye. Bit fed up with the spend on the eyedrops as my eye is even worse today and I am having to take time off to see the doctor:(

I have made a mess of our bank account as I paid for our holiday and some big bills but forgot that I had changed the date of a couple of DD to come out of my wage so I have left us overdrawn until tomorrow when DH gets paid:mad: We don't have/can't have an overdraft facility so will be getting charged:mad::mad: I urgently need nappiesfor DS to use at nursery and we have run out of loo roll but I think I can manage until Friday. I will just have to go to Mr S for the nappies on Friday morning before I drop DS off and buy the cheapest ones
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • lilian1977
    lilian1977 Posts: 5,024 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Well it's payday today so my July budget has started - and I don't need anything from the shops so that's one day out of thirty saved on my grocery budget. Hoping we won't need anything tomorrow either as OH has sandwiches for work and I'm at Pizza Hut for lunch, we have veggie curry in the freezer. So, hoping to get to Saturday without spending.

Was also thinking how I could get away with my fresh fruit buying as I like to buy a loose banana on the way to work, I buy my apples at the start of the week (cheaper that way) but find bananas go off too quickly so I get them daily, plus it seems to be cheaper that way too. However, I've remembered that the Virgin Lounge (free cafe for Virgin Money customers in Manchester) has a fruit bowl so I was thinking I could take a walk over there on the days I don't have fruit and snack to my heart's content! I usually go there for a coffee once or twice a week anyway.

Good luck everyone!
    My debt free diary | Post Office loan: £5,000 | Virgin Credit Card: £4079.19
  • jumblejack
    jumblejack Posts: 6,599 Forumite
    Hope your eye gets better soon xspender :(
    It is a real worry when your eyes start troubling you :(
    :A Every moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.!:A
    Grocery Spend Weekly Challenge (Sat-Fri):£30.50/£40
  • Aldahbra
    Aldahbra Posts: 317 Forumite
    edited 28 June 2012 at 11:31AM
    JIL wrote: »
    Does anyone have any idea what I can do with a big bag of basil? I wanted to do a pesto but havent got any pine nuts.

I was just about to say Petsto but I see that is out. You could try drying some then when dry put in a herb pot for use later, or in the same vein and probably more what I would do, is to freeze it in icecube trays so you have a cube of herb to use while cooking.
    MrsCD wrote: »
    WELCOME BACK FLORENCEEM! :T

We've all missed you!

:wave: very true :wave:
    jumblejack wrote: »
    I made a rose petal and elderflower cordial last night but next time I won't follow the recipe.

Have you had this before? What is it like?

Last year I made elderflower champagne in 2 litre bottles, trouble is it is only me and my Dad who like it and I still have 3 bottles left - now it is alcoholic.

I wondered if the rose petals would soften the flavour.
    "Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence."
    ~ Napoleon Bonaparte
    Weight loss challenge:j: week 1 :(
    target 8lbs in 4 weeks
    Grocery Challenge June: £100/£500
    left to spend £400
    Declutter June: 0/100
    NSD 6 June/6 July: 0/2
  • Aldahbra
    Aldahbra Posts: 317 Forumite
    lilian1977 I'm interested in your signature. What is fiscal faster and the declutter 0/100?
    "Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence."
    ~ Napoleon Bonaparte
    Weight loss challenge:j: week 1 :(
    target 8lbs in 4 weeks
    Grocery Challenge June: £100/£500
    left to spend £400
    Declutter June: 0/100
    NSD 6 June/6 July: 0/2
  • Bought the Mirror this morning for the £5 off at Aldi for £35 spend. There are other vouchers (30% off) in there as well. Use by next Thursday 5th July.

Never been to Aldi before because it's a train journey away (£2.90 return), so I will go at about 6pm. Does anyone know if Aldi reduce items at their best before in the evening? If so roughly what time?

Went in Tesco Express on the way home last night - managed to come out with a loaf of bread and reduced sausages for £1.87.

Going to do a turkey mince chilli tomorrow night using the British Turkey website recipe, roughly, except for the Jalapeno peppers!! Might add some lime juice-soaked finely chopped lemongrass, galangal and top with coriander for a slightly oriental feel.

Have a thriftful day all,

179/200
    Aldahbra wrote: »
    lilian1977 I'm interested in your signature. What is fiscal faster and the declutter 0/100?

Hiya

The declutter is where you give yourself a target to get rid of 100 items of clutter from your house, whether it's in the bin, recycled, charity shopped, sold etc. I'm starting Sunday and have challenged myself to get rid of 100 things. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3698567

The Fiscal Fast is where you don't spend money on anything for a set number of days - have a look here: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3832203&page=1
    My debt free diary | Post Office loan: £5,000 | Virgin Credit Card: £4079.19
  • KatyReed+5
    KatyReed+5 Posts: 128 Forumite
    I'm reporting a stupidly high spend of £98.97 in Sainsbobs, this included packed lunches for the month, and enough cereal to sink a battleship.

Also a spend of £42.43 on household things, bin bags washing up liquid etc, but also includes a £24.00 spend on 2 bottle of nit stuff for the kids, i do wish some parents would check their kids hair and stop giving them to mine, grrrrr.

Katy, X
    June £0.00 GC / £200.00
    Family of 4 : 1 adult 3 kids ages 3,4 & 5.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure