PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

July 2012 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• In_it_not_to_giveitaway
    Options
    very surprised to open my fridge this evening and see that I've nearly eaten everything with minimal wastage! That never happens and the only wastage was down to there already having been veggies in the fridge before the veg box was delivered! Using a hm ready meal and rice for lunch tomorrow and Friday, plus a few apricots, then the new box arrives and I'll start cooking from scratch again. Very impressed with myself!

Quite right too! This is an area I need to improve on - I can see that if I am not careful carrots, bell peppers, onions and so on will deteriorate irretrievably. So tomorrow night I am going to use some of the jointed chicken and pop them in the slow cooker with a bay leaf overnight. Should be enough for about three meals with some bread I'm going to have a go at on Saturday morning.

Pleased to report an NSD yesterday and should be the same again today, though will need milk and cleaning materials/toiletries for weekend chores tomorrow.

Hoping everyone has a spending independence day today,

179/200

Made victoria sponge and flapjacks yesterday which I cooked while jacket potatoes were in oven - I'm getting into this baking lark. I can't believe I thought it was so hard before. The time it takes to make a cake (and I haven't got a mixer so all by hand) is less than it would take to go to sm and buy one! And the results are so much tastier and better for you as they don't have any 'rubbish' in them. The only problem is that they are harder to resist ;). I love this thread :).
    Pay debt in 2012 #278 £2347/£5364
    Sealed Pot 5 #1713 £78.57 //Crazy Clothes Challenge #97 £79.49/£100
    Grocery Challenge:
    Feb £359/£360 Mar £390/£450 Apr £335/£320
    May £330/£320 Jun £455/£400 Jul £321/£320
    Aug £399/£370 Sep £345/£300 Oct £421/£400 Nov £0/£320
  • adelight
    adelight Posts: 2,658 Forumite
    Options
    NickJW wrote: »
    Oh - they look really good value. Do you know if they deliver on a Saturday (they say 'Orders must be received before 12 noon Monday to Thursday to qualify for next day delivery' - I don't know if you can only order until Thursday for Friday delivery?)

http://www.westingourmet.co.uk/delivery-information/ they do delivery on saturday (£3.75 for first order) and are very good. I don't have freezer space anymore but the chicken breast is amazing £5-6/kg and no water or junk, delicious.
    Living cheap in central London :rotfl:
  • Soworried
    Soworried Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    Options
    A small spend yesterday of £3.96.

This was all on YS items. Mainly muffins. 6x4pk :o

I did get some bread as well.

I hope everyone has a low or no spend day.
    £36/£240
    £5522
    One step must start each journey
    One word must start each prayer
    One hope will raise our spirits
    One touch can show you care
  • DebtFree2012
    DebtFree2012 Posts: 3,573 Forumite
    Options
    Hi All

How long will tinned tuna last if I make it up with salad cream on Sunday eve then keep in tuppaware for packed lunches, will it make it until Friday's packed lunch?

I HATE opening tuna.

:)

xxx
    Debt - CCV £3792
    CCB £1383 (took a hit for a holiday)

Loan 1 £1787
    Loan 2 £1683
    Total £8601 Was £39302
  • Boodle
    Boodle Posts: 1,050 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi All

How long will tinned tuna last if I make it up with salad cream on Sunday eve then keep in tuppaware for packed lunches, will it make it until Friday's packed lunch?

I HATE opening tuna.

:)

xxx

I'm not sure I would use it past tues... Maybe make up the sarnies and freeze them?
    Love and compassion to all x
  • kettlenic
    kettlenic Posts: 239 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all

I have been lurking on the boards since posting about my debt problems and have done an SOA but keeping it private for now...the shame

I am proud to say that I went shopping with a list and meal plan and for 10 days for 2 adults @ 3 meals the shopping came to £53.21 which is 5.32/day so 2.66 per adult!!

Much better than my previous attempts and was good to have OH on board :)

Thank you for all the motivating threads :)
    Love reading the oldstyle board...always something to learn!
  • Rainbowchild
    Rainbowchild Posts: 154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well done :)
  • Possession
    Possession Posts: 3,262 Forumite
    Options
    Well done - keep it up and you'll see those debts going gradually down and down!
  • lboppy
    lboppy Posts: 44 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Second big shop of the month ( 3 shops a month, about every 10 days) £89.74 between @sda and b£m . budgeting about £133 every 10 days. first 10 days came in at £90 so have put the extra in a little pot in my draw and it's a lovely feeling :) before reading this wonderful thread we would have spent way more than that and never seemed to have anything that we could make a proper meal out of. But now cooking from scratch and not buying loads of expensive processed carp we are eating better and spending less :j thank you everyone. My month is 20 June to 19 July and I've managed 8 nsd's already :T this was unheard of before.
    Sig updated
    GG July £345.00/ £400.00 20 June to 20 july
    August G.C £0/£400.0020th July to 19th August
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills