PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

July 2012 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• wannabe_sybil
    wannabe_sybil Posts: 2,845 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Now at £157.91 - dentist approved toothpaste for little bear. I said ouch as I paid for it without pain relief.

Approved Food order coming tomorrow. That will knock another chunk down. But hopefully not so much more to buy this month.

Now down to £102.79 as Approved Food has delivered. Really just need bread, milk and bits for lunch box for rest of month. Also bits of fruit and veg, but have lots of frozen veg in freezer.
    Ankh Morpork Sunshine Sanctuary for Sick Dragons - don't let my flame go out!
  • sneakyspender
    Options
    Oh dear. Was hoping for a NSD yesterday (unless counting petrol). Dd needex photos for passport went Mr M dh wanted olives for the pizzas and then bought 2x £2 tubs of Ben and Jerry's ice cream so £4.79 (79p for olives :(:eek:
    GC July 345/325Aug GC 297.50/300:money: GC Sept £251/300
    GC Oct 235/275 Nov GC £72/250
    NSD 5/30:D
    My month runs 22nd -22nd:cool:
  • sneakyspender
    Options
    Will have NSD today.
  • mummy2mygirls
    mummy2mygirls Posts: 2,443 Forumite
    Options
    I didn't realise Ald! did vouchers ... What paper do I look out for??

It was the Mirror, £5 off £35 shop, 50% of cheese and a few other 30% off ones. Not sure how often they do it though?? I just see someone on here mention it beforehand.....
    Coxy11 wrote: »
    Talking of cakes....I mentioned earlier in the thread that MIL made some scones using buttermilk and they were the best I've ever tasted. I have never made scones before (don't judge, my Mum went back to work full time when I was 7 and just didn't have the time....) but these are really easy and taste devine. Think recipe was from Waitflower magazine.

Buttermilk scones (makes 10)

300g SR flour
    75g butter - cubed
    3 tbsp caster sugar
    1/2 tsp salt
    200ml buttermilk
    Egg (for glazing) plus 1 tsp caster sugar

Sift flour into a bowl and mix in caster sugar and salt.
    Add the butter and rub in, until it resembles breadcrumbs.
    Make a well in the centre of the mixture and pour in buttermilk.
    Mix together to make a dough.
    Turn out onto a flat surface and press out into a round shape, 2cm thick (do not roll).
    Cut out scones with a 6cm cutter and place on baking tray.
    Glaze with beaten egg and sprinkle with caster sugar.

Bake in pre-heated oven 180 degrees for 20 mins.
    I also have never made them so thanks I will have to try them :) (my mum also went to work when I was little as she was a single mum so didnt always have time :( )

Should be a NSD today :D I will be needing some baby milk very soon though......

Kids need very quick dinner as 2 have to be fed and back out by 5.... Me and DH will prob have some special fried rice and some chinese chicken drunksticks/legs which were on offer in Ald*
    GC: Nov: £60.22/£450 Oct: £338.48/£450, July: £363.05/£450, June £447.98/£500
    £2 savers No68: £104/£100 :j
    :jmummy to: 8yr, 5yr, 3yr, 2yr, 1yr. No6 Due Mar 2013 My world.:j
  • GreenFairy
    GreenFairy Posts: 379 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Am having a NSD today. Almost managed one yesterday but then we went for a walk last night and had a couple of sneaky 99's on the way home. Oops! At least it came out of our pocket money and not the GC..
    Attempting to stay on track in the Grocery Challenge!

Occasionally blogging at CookingTheBooks!
  • Aldahbra
    Aldahbra Posts: 317 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've just done a big SM order for tomorrow and Sa*****by's have come out cheapest over all! That's a first, but I did have a £12 off voucher, even so I thought it would still loose.
    "Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence."
    ~ Napoleon Bonaparte
    Weight loss challenge:j: week 1 :(
    target 8lbs in 4 weeks
    Grocery Challenge June: £100/£500
    left to spend £400
    Declutter June: 0/100
    NSD 6 June/6 July: 0/2
  • sneakyspender
    Options
    I am enjoying reading about your foraging emensely JJ. Dh is the jam.maker in this house. Have many spots in mind for blackberry season. May PYO this.weekend for strawberries :)
  • keza
    keza Posts: 1,309 Forumite
    Options
    spent £4.35 in Co-0p today on supplies to make some twinks this afternoon for DH as he has requested biscuits *rolls eyes* xx
    Current Mortgage balance - £348,607.76/£395,999.
    Tesco - £9,757.91
    HSBC - £7,186.54
  • keza
    keza Posts: 1,309 Forumite
    Options
    oh and £3 odd in Mr T last night for cheese, rolls and a pint of milk. need to find my receipt to update my total!

do any of you lovely ladies know how long Twinks last for in a biscuit tin? thanks very much :)
    Current Mortgage balance - £348,607.76/£395,999.
    Tesco - £9,757.91
    HSBC - £7,186.54
  • jumblejack
    jumblejack Posts: 6,599 Forumite
    Options
    keza wrote: »
    oh and £3 odd in Mr T last night for cheese, rolls and a pint of milk. need to find my receipt to update my total!

do any of you lovely ladies know how long Twinks last for in a biscuit tin? thanks very much :)

Oh I don't know.... 5 minutes if you're lucky?

:rotfl:
    :A Every moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.!:A
    Grocery Spend Weekly Challenge (Sat-Fri):£30.50/£40
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills