Expansys want £35 to return my phone

I bought a phone from Expansys in February for over £100. Earlier this month the screen stopped working so I sent them photos and explained. They initially wanted me to call Acer but in the end I got them to accept the return. I posted the phone away and waited, then got back a message saying that the screen is broken and this is not covered by the warranty (the external part of the screen has no visible damage but the screen inside stopped working). They are getting me a quote for repair but have said if I want the phone back as it (not working) is I have to pay £35 'return fees from the return centre'. That's a bit harsh, isn't it?! I was not told of this when they asked me to post the phone to them.

(I posted this to the Mobile Phone forum ,but maybe it is more appropriate for here).

Comments

• wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    I bought a phone from Expansys in February for over £100. Earlier this month the screen stopped working so I sent them photos and explained. They initially wanted me to call Acer but in the end I got them to accept the return. I posted the phone away and waited, then got back a message saying that the screen is broken and this is not covered by the warranty (the external part of the screen has no visible damage but the screen inside stopped working). They are getting me a quote for repair but have said if I want the phone back as it (not working) is I have to pay £35 'return fees from the return centre'. That's a bit harsh, isn't it?! I was not told of this when they asked me to post the phone to them.

(I posted this to the Mobile Phone forum ,but maybe it is more appropriate for here).
    Well they have spent some time and effort diagnosing the problem, and if you decide not to get the thing repaired by them then they have effectively done that work for nothing.
    And of course, there is the cost of securely returning it to you.

So, say £10 for packing and return post Special Delivery, plus £25 for investigative work.
    How much work do you get for £25 these days... not forgeting special tools, skills, etc that all need to be paid for somehow.
  • Antispam
    Antispam Posts: 6,636 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    My partner has a acer smartphone from same company. The screen went funny 3 months after we rang acer they gave my a ref no and told me to ring a courier they use. I rang them they came next day phone got new screen and replaced it for free 10 days later it was just after xmas. I didnt contact expansys at all

Acer did say if phone as abused I would pay but she didnt abuse it
  • MarkBargain
    MarkBargain Posts: 1,641 Forumite
    wealdroam wrote: »
    Well they have spent some time and effort diagnosing the problem, and if you decide not to get the thing repaired by them then they have effectively done that work for nothing.
    And of course, there is the cost of securely returning it to you.

So, say £10 for packing and return post Special Delivery, plus £25 for investigative work.
    How much work do you get for £25 these days... not forgeting special tools, skills, etc that all need to be paid for somehow.

True. As a customer whose phone stopped working three months after I bought it when it was pretty well looked after, I do feel a little agrieved at losing it though.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,822 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Contact the manufacturer, see what they say.

Did they say why it wasnt repairable under warranty
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • MarkBargain
    Antispam wrote: »
    My partner has a acer smartphone from same company. The screen went funny 3 months after we rang acer they gave my a ref no and told me to ring a courier they use. I rang them they came next day phone got new screen and replaced it for free 10 days later it was just after xmas. I didnt contact expansys at all

Acer did say if phone as abused I would pay but she didnt abuse it

This one wasn't abused either, the screen just wouldn't come on one day and a line appeared in the corner. I thought they would repair it under the guarantee, so it was disappointing when they wouldn't, and double-disappointing to be charged £35 to get it back when I wasn't told of this in advance.
  • MarkBargain
    McKneff wrote: »
    Contact the manufacturer, see what they say.

Did they say why it wasnt repairable under warranty

The trouble is that Expansys have the phone.

Expansys just wrote the phone's screen is broken and this is not covered by the warranty.
  • bod1467
    bod1467 Posts: 15,214 Forumite
    Expansys just wrote the phone's screen is broken and this is not covered by the warranty.

Isn't there a simple solution to this? Under the Sale of Goods Act, any fault that occurs within 6 months of purchase is assumed to be inherent unless the retailer can prove otherwise. As such, simply request that they fix it under SOGA (forget about the warranty - this can have T&Cs attached but under SOGA they are not relevant) and return it to you. :)
  • MarkBargain
    bod1467 wrote: »
    Isn't there a simple solution to this? Under the Sale of Goods Act, any fault that occurs within 6 months of purchase is assumed to be inherent unless the retailer can prove otherwise. As such, simply request that they fix it under SOGA (forget about the warranty - this can have T&Cs attached but under SOGA they are not relevant) and return it to you. :)

I did quote this to them, and they responded "[FONT=&quot]When expansys receives a product this is sent out to the manufacturer directly who confirm wether the unit is still in warranty or not.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] In this case Acer confirmed the unit being out of warranty.[/FONT]"
  • bod1467
    bod1467 Posts: 15,214 Forumite
    But warranty is irrelevant. You'd not be claiming under their warranty, but under SOGA.

Time to write to them - letter before action?
  • MarkBargain
    It's their word against mine though, isn't it if they imply I damaged the phone? Also, I had to post the phone to France so does SOGA apply? I ordered through the Expansys UK website.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure