How to record an ESA medical

Options
Various members of this forum have recommended recording the ESA medical in order to provide evidence if the examiner attempts to falsify or misreport the answers given. Therefore the aim of this thread is to provide tips and recommendations on how to do this. Including devices to use to do the recording, procedures to follow in order to maximize the quality and ensure that the recorded volume is clear enough.

Therefore can anyone give advice on how to successfully record an ESA medical? What equipment did you use? Was there a separate MIC? Where did you hide it? Did you do anything to prevent discovery?

What I am looking for are tips and recommendations like where to locate a MIC, how far to sit away from the examiner, whether there is usually a desk between the examiner and the claimant.

Successes and failures to make a decent recording are welcome, so if you have any experiences then please share them.

Did you attempt to record the Medical? 16 votes

No attempt made
43% 7 votes
Yes, but it did not turn out very well, not really usable
6% 1 vote
Yes, I got a usable recording of both my voice and the medical examiner
50% 8 votes
Yes, I got a usable recording of my voice only, the medical examiner's voice was unclear
0% 0 votes

Comments

• Two4Tuesday
    Two4Tuesday Posts: 639 Forumite
    Options
    I've secretly recorded panel hearings where I have been sectioned just using my mobile phone. The sound quality was fine and as everyone has a phone, it's less suspicious than a separate device.

I didn't try to record my ESA medical though. I was put into the WRAG without fuss, though I got it changed to the Support group after sending in a letter from my GP confirming the medical condition which met the descriptor.
  • mynameistallulah
    mynameistallulah Posts: 2,238 Forumite
    Options
    It would be far simpler to request a recorded medical!
  • A.Penny.Saved
    A.Penny.Saved Posts: 1,832 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It would be far simpler to request a recorded medical!
    And if they say no? If they say they have no facilities to make a recording?

The question is, could they be relied upon to do this? With some of the things they do to disqualify people, I certainly wouldn't trust them to make a recording. If they don't like people making recordings, why would they do it themselves?

I don't think anyone should trust them in this. I certainly won't!
  • HB58
    HB58 Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    Options
    They are not allowed to say 'No', it is the claimant's right to have the assessment recorded. A shortage of equipment means that the assessment might need to be postponed - and be warned that they might try to count it as the one postponement that the claimant is allowed.
  • mynameistallulah
    Options
    And if they say no? If they say they have no facilities to make a recording?

The question is, could they be relied upon to do this? With some of the things they do to disqualify people, I certainly wouldn't trust them to make a recording. If they don't like people making recordings, why would they do it themselves?

I don't think anyone should trust them in this. I certainly won't!

Then you need to stop being so paranoid. They do have the facilities to record medicals now, with the only requirement that you give good notice of your wish to do so.
  • A.Penny.Saved
    Options
    I've secretly recorded panel hearings where I have been sectioned just using my mobile phone. The sound quality was fine and as everyone has a phone, it's less suspicious than a separate device.

I didn't try to record my ESA medical though. I was put into the WRAG without fuss, though I got it changed to the Support group after sending in a letter from my GP confirming the medical condition which met the descriptor.
    Where did you locate the phone? That could make a big difference no matter what device is used IMO. Did it manage to record both you and the examiner and could both be clearly heard?

Was there a desk between you and the examiner to locate the PC he used?

What I am concerned about is if I use a bag which is on the floor, will it pickup voices if shielded by a desk or bodies. Inside jacket pockets tend to absorb sound too much I think.
  • A.Penny.Saved
    Options
    Then you need to stop being so paranoid. They do have the facilities to record medicals now, with the only requirement that you give good notice of your wish to do so.
    I don't believe it is being paranoid, mistrusting people who have shown that they will take any steps they can to cause a persons benefit to be stopped. There have been countless stories of their actions on this and other forums and I have had personal experience of them doing so.
  • mynameistallulah
    Options
    I don't believe it is being paranoid, mistrusting people who have shown that they will take any steps they can to cause a persons benefit to be stopped. There have been countless stories of their actions on this and other forums and I have had personal experience of them doing so.

Really? Your other posts on the subject show that you have experienced a very efficient service from ATOS, indeed you previously passed a WCA without even needing a medical.

No wonder you are ill if you set out to create problems for yourself.
  • A.Penny.Saved
    Options
    Really? Your other posts on the subject show that you have experienced a very efficient service from ATOS, indeed you previously passed a WCA without even needing a medical.

No wonder you are ill if you set out to create problems for yourself.
    My illness has nothing to do with it and no one who knew anything about it would make such an accusation. My illness is not due to my mental health. Your a mile wide of the mark and being as judgemental as you frequently are on this forum.

I didn't follow up on one of those recent posts, which I was going to do in the next few days. However it wasn't as clear as you want to make it out to be. They were far from efficient, unless you call misreporting what was said in an attempt to disqualify someone as being efficient in forcing people off benefit.

I didn't require a medical after the first ESA50 and that means I don't have any experience of a medical itself or how it is performed. Every situation will be slightly different, however there will be common elements.
  • epitome
    epitome Posts: 3,199 Forumite
    Options
    I would say all you need to do is request in advance that it will be recorded, on the day ensure that the recording material is ready and waiting, and express your concerns about the quality of the recording and "can we do a test run" to check the quality of the recording.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure