Garden Bargains - Beware of overcharge from sale!

Options
Sorry for posing in this forum, but its the best place for people who took part in this offer to see this. :money:

Near the end of April I saw a thread on here about the sale going on at Garden Bargains, and ended up ordering some plants to the value of just over £20.

Eventually the plants (well most of them) turned up, and the delivery slip listed the items and their prices, but it was the full price on there, not the sale price, so just under £70. I presumed this was just for the purpose of the delivery note, as quidco had tracked the correct amount.

Well, my bank statement came this morning, and I thought I had better check, and yes, I have been charged the full price, not the sale price on all the plants!!!

I have enclosed a Google Cache for anyone that needs to check the sale item of the plants they may have ordered, and I will update this thread when I hear back from them, but they were not the most helpful on the phone (and a high rate number to boot!!)
Hope to have helped.

Google Cache 21st April 2012
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:Ayvc4gSiSuEJ:www.gardenbargains.com/c-tree-plan/plan/tree/trees.htm%3Fpp%3D12+garden+bargains+lime+10l+sale+bare+root&cd=4&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

“Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?”
Juvenal, The Sixteen Satires

Comments

• Barbapapa_2
    Barbapapa_2 Posts: 220 Forumite
    Options
    Just beware of Garden Bargains full stop! They're still holding my money that they took on 25th April (for an order placed on 5th April) and won't refund, even though they have said they will (within 10 - 14 days I was promised). No replies now to emails and I'm not phoning them at 10p per minute. Trading Standards are well aware of this company. My report to them was one of many......
  • Ianj
    Ianj Posts: 34 Forumite
    Options
    I sympathise with you and other sufferers. I ordered plants many moons ago and they took the cash immediatly but guess what - NO PLANTS. I was unable to get anywhere with emails after the first one was acknowledged stating it would be dealt with but no action at all.
    Therefore I sent full details to the Police, my credit card company and the Trading Standards office on the basis that a suspect fraud had been initiated and infomed them of the action. Even then it took weeks to get some movement and I have just been informed that some plants are out of stock, others can be substituted or they will reimburse me. Guess what I selected - yep, the latter although I've not got the money yet.

The moral of this story is: don't throw your hard earned cash at this firm is you want to see it evaporate into thin air!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • TallGirl
    TallGirl Posts: 5,562 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I had placed 3 orders with the first two no problem but final one from their sales no end. I have phoned them and each time they say sorry and Weill order again, got a refund by cheque but still waiting for one plant dispatched the 15 th May. Promised it will be here this week. They really have gone down hill I would avoid as well.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50
    PB Win 21 £225, 22 £275, 23 £900, Balance Mar  £30,850 + £12K added to pension) (Wins 24 Jan £200 Feb £150 Mar £75 Apr £125) 
    Plan to move to Denmark for FIRE by 2028 “May your decisions reflect your hopes not your fears”
    New diary aiming for fire https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6414795/mortgage-free-now-aiming-for-fire#latest

• deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    Options
    this may help folks Ideal World are the same company

http://forum.shoppingtelly.com/forum/showthread.php?24183-Message-from-Ideal-World

“Hi All,

Please let me introduce myself - my name is Gareth Parker and I work in the customer services department at Ideal Shopping TV.
    We regularly review this forum and read about your comments, but are unable to contact you with a reply as we don’t have your details.
    In a bid to help you, we would like to invite you to email me directly with your questions and queries at: Gareth.Parker@idealshoppingdirect.co.uk

Kindest Regards
    Gareth"
    ShoppingTelly.com user name "Ideal World"
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Unfortunately that same forum contains many people not receiving any assistance from that named individual. Other names are offered there, but as it's against MSE rules to include names and emails, readers will be better looking on that forum.
  • davemorton
    davemorton Posts: 29,066 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    pmduk wrote: »
    Unfortunately that same forum contains many people not receiving any assistance from that named individual. Other names are offered there, but as it's against MSE rules to include names and emails, readers will be better looking on that forum.
    Its frightening to see such a well known company can have such bad customer service, amazing!
    “Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?”
    Juvenal, The Sixteen Satires
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    davemorton wrote: »
    Its frightening to see such a well known company can have such bad customer service, amazing!

Ideal World's customer service is well known to be dire.
  • macma
    macma Posts: 911 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can't comment on Ideal World but 3-4 years ago I bought fruit trees from Garden Bargains via a Daily Mail promo .they arrived ,were planted and several months later the plum had failed and the response was really good they replaced it pronto and the new one now thrives.
    perhaps they have changed but I felt I must offer my experience.
  • Thomas_the_tank_engine
    Options
    Barbapapa wrote: »
    Just beware of Garden Bargains full stop! They're still holding my money that they took on 25th April (for an order placed on 5th April) and won't refund, even though they have said they will (within 10 - 14 days I was promised). No replies now to emails and I'm not phoning them at 10p per minute. Trading Standards are well aware of this company. My report to them was one of many......

Exactly my experience. Been waiting over 3 weeks for a promised refund. Rang Garden Bargains again this morning (I dread to think how much this has cost me on phone calls). Was told that Head Office have a large backlog of refunds to deal with but that a refund cheque was processed last week (yeah right). She even quoted the cheque number (probably made it up). Was told to allow another week for the cheque to arrive and call back if not.

What's the best course of action to take with Garden Bargains? Credit Card company for a section 75 refund, or Trading Standards or both?
  • alanobrien
    alanobrien Posts: 3,308 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    i only ever bought from them once........never again..........
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure