BT...absolutely shocking and incompetent ...Help please.

Options
Where to start with this lothesome company...

Back end of 2008 till march 2009 I had BT services where i was living, In March we moved house and i transferred my services to the new address as i was still in contract.
A few months later still in 2009 when my minimum term was up i moved to Virgin Media.

In November 2010 i notice a one time setup fee and some extras taken out via direct debit from my bank account in the name of BT.
Naturally puzzled and worried i phone BT who confirm an order was placed for my old address i had moved out of nearly 18 months ago!
I informed them that this was not done by me as i did not live there reciting the fact i moved my services with me when i left so why would i set up services in a property i no longer had access too??!?

I was assured the services were cancelled and that would be the end of the matter....yeah right...just the beginning more like

Fast forward to October 2011 and i receive a formal demand from past due credit solutions for £821.80!!!!!! on behalf of BT PLC.(see where this is going??)

I phone Past due who give me the details that this is the amount passed to them from BT but they do not know what it was for, back on the phone to BT i go to be told it was for the services setup in November 2010...at that address i do not live at...

So i go through with BT again what i had told them previously, and they referred me back to past due as it was now with them, so back again i go to past due who require me to send them a copy of my tenancy agreement that proves the dates i gave them of leaving that address and where i am now and also the Incident number for the fraud reported to police.

Naturally i do this along with a cover letter stating that i want to know what is being done with the information provided to make sure that i would not receive more letters and no effects to my credit rating, next time i hear anything is 3rd February 2012 with a letter from past due that states the following...

I write to confirm that BT Group PLC have requested we close the account and the debt returned to them and no adverse effects have been passed onto my credit rating.

Success i think.....Or not..
This morning i receive a formal notice from BPO collections for ..yes you guessed it...£821.80 on behalf of BT.
NOT 2 MONTHS LATER they have passed the debt back out to a new company.

So you can guess what i did on this sunny day, spent it on the phone back and forth between BPO and BT.
I had it escalated to a line manager who reviewed the account laughed a bit, put me on hold and spoke to finance.
He came back to me and said to give him 1hr and he will phone me back and he is 45%.....yes 45%!! sure this would all be sorted out...

So folks, where do i go from here? who do i talk to? because clearly BT are incapable of sorting this out once and for all, as if i get another letter in 2 months time you'll all be seeing on the news some crazed person went and made a mess of BT Headquarters....:mad::mad::mad:

Comments

• Jamie_Cortez
    Jamie_Cortez Posts: 122 Forumite
    Options
    So the call back i got was simply to say it had been passed to another team expect a call in 3 hours...
  • Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Options
    There appears to be a little misunderstanding - when you moved, you took your existing service, BUT the minimum term is re-set (because you probably got a free reconnection). This means if you cancelled less than 12 months (phone only) or 18 (with broadband), BT are due the balance for line rental at the new property.
  • Jamie_Cortez
    Options
    Buzby wrote: »
    There appears to be a little misunderstanding - when you moved, you took your existing service, BUT the minimum term is re-set (because you probably got a free reconnection). This means if you cancelled less than 12 months (phone only) or 18 (with broadband), BT are due the balance for line rental at the new property.

Didnt know this was true, but either way as i posted that is not what the debt is for.
    The debt is for NEW services ordered online 18 months after i had left the property, That information has come from BT themselves.

Otherwise they would not have taken One off startup fees from my account 18 months after i had left that property with no instruction from me.
  • emsybaby
    emsybaby Posts: 28 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You could contact Ofcom? I'm not allowed to post links yet so here goes..
    http:// consumers . ofcom . org . uk
    £2024 in 2024
  • pawlala
    pawlala Posts: 1,416 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    so back again i go to past due who require me to send them a copy of my tenancy agreement that proves the dates i gave them of leaving that address and where i am now and also the Incident number for the fraud reported to police.
    surely it's up to them/BT to prove you were the tenant, rather than you to prove you weren't?
  • Jamie_Cortez
    Options
    The call back i was supposed to get, never came.

No surprise.
  • carly
    carly Posts: 1,414 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I had an ongoing problem with BT. They were contradicting themselves, going round in ever decreasing circles and failing to keep their promises to refund what they admitted was owed to me after I closed an account. This went on for months. I emailed the CEO
    [EMAIL="ian.livingston@bt.com"]ian.livingston@bt.com[/EMAIL] and received a call from his office the same day. Issue dealt with by a named case manager and solved within a couple of days..... perhaps a similar approach would help you..
  • dt3887
    dt3887 Posts: 275 Forumite
    Options
    i would just send them the standard i do not acknowledge this debt letter and take it from there. i had a similar problem a couple of years ago, sent them that and told them where to shove it. never heard anything back from it, not a mark on credit file either :D
  • Jamie_Cortez
    Options
    carly wrote: »
    I had an ongoing problem with BT. They were contradicting themselves, going round in ever decreasing circles and failing to keep their promises to refund what they admitted was owed to me after I closed an account. This went on for months. I emailed the CEO
    [EMAIL="ian.livingston@bt.com"]ian.livingston@bt.com[/EMAIL] and received a call from his office the same day. Issue dealt with by a named case manager and solved within a couple of days..... perhaps a similar approach would help you..

Thanks i will give this a try!
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Send them a copy of the debt collectors letter and a copy of the conformation that you do not owe this money.
    Also send them your hourly rate charge for resolving their mistakes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure