🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

MSE News: Half a million could lose disability benefits

Options

Comments

• red_me
    red_me Posts: 66 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've just been following the news this morning, there going after blind people now theres a section about it in the mail online "Blind on benefits 'will suffer' under the coalition's new reforms to disability allowance" can this government sink any lower shocking.
  • Dunroamin
    Dunroamin Posts: 16,908 Forumite
    Options
    Anubis wrote: »

As for young people not living at home who are out of work....that one is simple. The LHA/HB cuts and bedroom tax will force people to downsize. Then there is not enough room when say your 25 year old child comes to live as you had to get shared one bedroomed accommodation based on the further cuts! Duh!

On the other hand, think of the number of queries on here where someone of 20, say, asks " I live with my parents and claim JSA. I'm fed up with this and would like to move out, how much will I be able to claim for rent if I do so?".

It's hardly a good use of public money, is it?
  • Dunroamin
    Dunroamin Posts: 16,908 Forumite
    Options
    jamespir wrote: »
    i havent been to the pub (i dont drink) ill reply to whatever comments i like in the order i like thanks for your input anyway

Well obviously, if you're ill we'll make allowances.;)
  • fairycakequeen83
    Options
    DomRavioli wrote: »
    I receive DLA, and I am more than happy to be assessed or re-assessed. The way I see it is that I have nothing to hide, and would give the world not to be disabled. If it makes people who don't need the help no longer have it, then so be it. :D

Exactly - if you receive these benefits/ this help from the taxpayers purse, why would you have anything to hide in being assessed regularly.
    It MAY be that if the assessor sees you need MORE help than you currently get, they can point you in the right direction.

I have faith that if these checks are made that it will weed out people who don't need it, and encourage them back to work - sometimes being told we CAN work instead of that we CANT does wonders for confidence in making the effort.

Nothing to hide - everything to gain as a society - including faith in the system that the right decisions are being made instead of 1 person giving an opinion 10 years ago and it being carried through with no checks on the validity definitely.
  • fairycakequeen83
    Options
    Oh dear.. so ignorant, so many things wrong with your post...
    I can't be bothered.
    I'm reminded of...
    "Never argue with an idiot, they bring you down to their level, then beat you with experience."

perhaps i am also an idiot, but i dnt see anything wrong with the post you refer to?

can you elaborate?
  • clemmatis
    clemmatis Posts: 3,168 Forumite
    Options
    Dunroamin wrote: »
    I always think that you miss the point on this issue. There's a big difference between people whose care needs are met and people who say they have care needs and then don't meet them.

I don't miss the point at all.
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    Penny-Pincher!! Posts: 8,325 Forumite
    Options
    Im disabled with lifelong illnesses and I'm 37. I hate having to rely on others for my care and have often begged my husband to put me in some kind of care home so he can live a normal life. Although I appreciate my DLA, I would much rather be well and be out working and enjoying an independent life. Presently, Im just about existing.

What I don't understand is that if DLA has only a 0.05% fraud rate, why are they focusing on changing the system so extremely and so quickly? Im quite happy to have a medical etc, but wouldn't their money be better spent targeting the areas where high amount of fraud or flaws are more obvious?
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • Anubis_2
    Anubis_2 Posts: 4,077 Forumite
    Options
    Dunroamin wrote: »
    On the other hand, think of the number of queries on here where someone of 20, say, asks " I live with my parents and claim JSA. I'm fed up with this and would like to move out, how much will I be able to claim for rent if I do so?".

It's hardly a good use of public money, is it?

But that doesn't resolve the problem of the many who are not going to be able to live with parents. I don't see many of such posts from single 20 year olds on here.
    How people treat you becomes their karma; how you react becomes yours.
  • MissMoneypenny
    MissMoneypenny Posts: 5,324 Forumite
    edited 16 May 2012 at 11:30AM
    Options
    Anubis wrote: »
    Just when you think it can't get worse, Cameron plans another 25 BILLION in benefit cuts from 2014 http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/9268411/David-Cameron-considers-extra-25bn-of-welfare-cuts.html

He seems to be looking at tackling the top 3 welfare payments that are a huge burden to the UK. He has already moved the pension age and is now looking to the other 2, housing benefit and tax credits.

Encouraging single mothers into work and a further crackdown on housing benefits, is a good idea, not a bad idea. Children should not be a meal ticket as it encourages the wrong type of parent. People shouldn't be funded by the taxpayer to live in an expensive area, especially as some of those taxpayers couldn't afford to live in that expensive area.
    RENTING? Have you checked to see that your landlord has permission from their mortgage lender to rent the property? If not, you could be thrown out with very little notice.
    Read the sticky on the House Buying, Renting & Selling board.

• shedboy94
    shedboy94 Posts: 929 Forumite
    Options
    Benefit rates are so abysmal that most unemployed people with disabilities use their DLA for survival.

I would tend to disagree with you there. I have been administering benefits for 10 years - there are many, many people out there getting more in benefits than most people in this country actually earn through employment.
    Add on disability benefits and the amounts can sometimes be astronomical, bearing in mind those who are working can receive DLA AND the disability element of WTC and CTC if they also have a disabled child - this can run into several thousands of pounds extra per year.
    We often have to do an entitlement check in regards to the disability element and some of the things people are awarded DLA for are frankly ridiculous.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport