MSE News: Half a million could lose disability benefits

Options

Comments

• Dunroamin
    Dunroamin Posts: 16,908 Forumite
    Options
    clemmatis wrote: »

So, what do I object to? I object to your attitude to other claimants, and for example, your comments about how they spend their DLA and whether or not they should be re-assessed. You apply one set of standards to yourself and another to other claimants. I "have a huge issue" with that.

I always think that you miss the point on this issue. There's a big difference between people whose care needs are met and people who say they have care needs and then don't meet them.
  • Dunroamin
    Dunroamin Posts: 16,908 Forumite
    Options
    jamespir wrote: »
    why should people be split up because one has a disability ? and why do disabled people need to go in a home ??

James, if you must post when you come in from the pub, at least have the common sense to read the whole thread first!
  • jamespir
    jamespir Posts: 21,456 Forumite
    Options
    Dunroamin wrote: »
    James, if you must post when you come in from the pub, at least have the common sense to read the whole thread first!

i havent been to the pub (i dont drink) ill reply to whatever comments i like in the order i like thanks for your input anyway
    Replies to posts are always welcome, If I have made a mistake in the post, I am human, tell me nicely and it will be corrected. If your reply cannot be nice, has an underlying issue, or you believe that you are God, please post in another forum. Thank you
  • Anubis_2
    Anubis_2 Posts: 4,077 Forumite
    Options
    Just when you think it can't get worse, Cameron plans another 25 BILLION in benefit cuts from 2014 http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/9268411/David-Cameron-considers-extra-25bn-of-welfare-cuts.html
    How people treat you becomes their karma; how you react becomes yours.
  • Broke_n_Broken
    Broke_n_Broken Posts: 195 Forumite
    edited 16 May 2012 at 1:11AM
    Options
    Sorry, I didn't mean to offend anybody and I don't have a great knowledge of benefits system, there are some genuine needs out there which I fully support.

There are a great number of countries where there is no such thing as "benefits", you don't get anything even if you have to live on the streets and those countries today have highest growth rate. Why? Doesn't happen on its own or doesn't happen if half your population is claiming all kind of benefits.

My main grumble is with people who who take the mick out of the system, claim benefits and then run to the pub because they've had a stressful day because of xyz reason.

Now I as a tax payer will only want to limit it to a basic life support and not for ciggs or pub rounds or anything that isn't required.

You see in the papers all the time, "claimant's were even assessed before handing out the taxpayer's money".

Sorry if I have offended anybody.

I think you're trying to be nice here, but seriously....please!....

All claimants are assessed, some without being seen by ATOS, but they usually have GREAT evidence from their GP. (I assume you meant weren't assessed)

The great many countries of which you speak either receive BILLIONS in charitable aid & collect billions from the good people of the UK, Europe & USA, or, simply, they don't need a benefits system like ours, they have large families that help & support each other, a job may be found, or created in a family business.

And MANY people live on the streets in THIS country.

As for "running to the pub", well, that has LITERALLY saved my life in the past, running, crying, panicking, hyperventilating, ready to do myself in because of xyz reason.....
    Thank god they were open.

Sooooo sorry for taking the mick!
    I wish I could fly, right up to the sky! But I can't...
    Famous Last Words: Bus?... What B....
    I reserve the right to edit my posts so you are wrong & I am right!
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Like most of the disabled posters on here, I would give anything to have my old life back (I get Higher Rate Mobility -indefinite award- but can move around OK from the waist up so am not eligible for care).
    What do I spend my money on? Taxi fares for three minute journeys on routes not served by buses. A sturdy shopping trolley to support me as I walk. The £800 tricycle that I use to go shopping and for appointments locally. All sorts of adaptations around the home to enable me to stay in it for a few years more. A stairlift is next on the list.

The list of extra expenses is legion. I can only afford to buy most of these things as I work from home and have a half-decent income.

Benefit rates are so abysmal that most unemployed people with disabilities use their DLA for survival.

A friend of mine is a nursing lecturer who looked in to working for ATOS. From their descriptors she realised that it would be impossible to adequately and accurately assess ESA/DLA claimants.

She was expected to write things down as people were saying them, rather than recording and writing up notes, and time constraints were such that minimal information could be obtained.

No wonder so many cases have to go to appeal and then succeed.

As she is a very, very good nurse she refused to do this and didn't take up the post.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • ineed
    ineed Posts: 4,432 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 16 May 2012 at 1:51AM
    Options
    Sorry, I didn't mean to offend anybody and I don't have a great knowledge of benefits system, there are some genuine needs out there which I fully support.

There are a great number of countries where there is no such thing as "benefits", you don't get anything even if you have to live on the streets and those countries today have highest growth rate. Why? Doesn't happen on its own or doesn't happen if half your population is claiming all kind of benefits.

My main grumble is with people who who take the mick out of the system, claim benefits and then run to the pub because they've had a stressful day because of xyz reason.

Now I as a tax payer will only want to limit it to a basic life support and not for ciggs or pub rounds or anything that isn't required.

You see in the papers all the time, "claimant's were even assessed before handing out the taxpayer's money".

Sorry if I have offended anybody.

Don't rule out karma yet, thoughts affect your karma as much as actions. Remember that.
    I SUPPORT CAT RESCUE! Visit Cat Chat to support cat rescue too.

One can pay back the loan of gold, but one dies forever in debt to those who are kind. ~Malayan Proverb
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much ~ Oscar Wilde
    No excellent soul is exempt from a mixture of madness ~ Aristotle
  • ineed
    ineed Posts: 4,432 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Anubis wrote: »
    Just when you think it can't get worse, Cameron plans another 25 BILLION in benefit cuts from 2014 http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/9268411/David-Cameron-considers-extra-25bn-of-welfare-cuts.html

It is unbelievable isn't it. I feel for people on housing benefit. The thing that makes me laugh is the hypocrisy of all those people who bash all kinds of benefits and label those receiving them as scroungers. Then the second something goes wrong in their life or their family members lives and they need the benefits they conveniently forget their previous attitude. It's unbelievable talk about double standards.
    I SUPPORT CAT RESCUE! Visit Cat Chat to support cat rescue too.

One can pay back the loan of gold, but one dies forever in debt to those who are kind. ~Malayan Proverb
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much ~ Oscar Wilde
    No excellent soul is exempt from a mixture of madness ~ Aristotle
  • Anubis_2
    Anubis_2 Posts: 4,077 Forumite
    Options
    ineed wrote: »
    It is unbelievable isn't it. I feel for people on housing benefit. The thing that makes me laugh is the hypocrisy of all those people who bash all kinds of benefits and label those receiving them as scroungers. Then the second something goes wrong in their life or their family members lives and they need the benefits they conveniently forget their previous attitude. It's unbelievable talk about double standards.

I really think another 24 billion in benefit cuts is going too far too fast. Part time workers are going to be targetted to. This reads as though they want everyone off benefits and in full time work only, otherwise you will suffer.

They fail to mention where these sudden full time jobs will come from :think:

I was going to do PW with a hope to increasing to 16 hours eventually IF I can manage it given my limitations. Now I learn from the article there are implications that part time workers are going to be Targetted:

A Downing Street source said: “There is some really radical thinking going on around welfare, which is the most successful area of government policy so far. Why should people only work part time?

So what is the damn point?

As for young people not living at home who are out of work....that one is simple. The LHA/HB cuts and bedroom tax will force people to downsize. Then there is not enough room when say your 25 year old child comes to live as you had to get shared one bedroomed accommodation based on the further cuts! Duh!

They can't have it both ways, but they are certainly trying. IMHO they are planning to completely remove the benefit system ASAP.
    How people treat you becomes their karma; how you react becomes yours.
  • Broke_n_Broken
    Options
    Anubis wrote: »
    IMHO they are planning to completely remove the benefit system ASAP.
    Don't be daft. This is a welfare state.
    The benefit system will always be there.
    For those who are connected, rich or powerful enough to qualify, that is.

The rest of us will have purpose built, walled off [STRIKE]camps[/STRIKE] "social communities",
    where all our needs will be conveniently met in one place, we will receive generous daily [STRIKE]rations[/STRIKE] meals, we will have our own security to keep us [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] safe and regular community activities to keep us [STRIKE]busy[/STRIKE] entertained. Those who can work will be [STRIKE]forced[/STRIKE] encouraged to do so.
    I can't wait!! Oh [STRIKE]crap![/STRIKE] joy!
    I wish I could fly, right up to the sky! But I can't...
    Famous Last Words: Bus?... What B....
    I reserve the right to edit my posts so you are wrong & I am right!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure