🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

MSE News: Half a million could lose disability benefits

Options

Comments

• MissMoneypenny
    MissMoneypenny Posts: 5,324 Forumite
    Options
    Any idea what someone in that situation may be fed up with? Constant arguing, put downs, being treated like a child....
    Moving out could = happy, health worker
    Staying could = depression, a never ending spiral & a life long ESA claimant.
    Good use of public money?

That type of life should be their incentive to work hard at school to get a good job and be able to move out.

With the way benefits are now, some don't bother to work hard at school as they know welfare will pay for them and their children. These are usually the same children who messed about in class and made it hard for others to learn!

Rewarding bad behaviour, is never a good idea.
    RENTING? Have you checked to see that your landlord has permission from their mortgage lender to rent the property? If not, you could be thrown out with very little notice.
    Read the sticky on the House Buying, Renting & Selling board.

• ineed
    ineed Posts: 4,432 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    shedboy94 wrote: »
    Yeah, especially the ones receiving thousands per month because they have chose to live in mansions or affluent areas.

Is it fair that someone can get the state to pay for them to live in a house that someone not receiving benefits could not afford to live in themselves?

Oh come on now, that may happen on rare occasions but you can't honestly think alot of people on housing benefit live a life of luxury at the tax payers expense.

The vast majority live on the breadline and live in standard three bed houses (if they have children) or two or one bed flats. They live where they can because it's done on a system of point scoring and they have to bid on property that they can afford. Most are struggling because rent is always rising and the money isn't; in fact in some cases it's already been reduced. Go to any food bank and have a chat with the people, or pop to your local church at harvest festival, talk to the salvation army when they come to collect the produce for distrabution. Most of these people live very modest lives. They are not living it up in mansions. Believing otherwise is naive at best.
    I SUPPORT CAT RESCUE! Visit Cat Chat to support cat rescue too.

One can pay back the loan of gold, but one dies forever in debt to those who are kind. ~Malayan Proverb
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much ~ Oscar Wilde
    No excellent soul is exempt from a mixture of madness ~ Aristotle
  • MissMoneypenny
    Options
    Anubis wrote: »
    . I don't see many of such posts from single 20 year olds on here.

Quite a few come on asking about living in London on housing benefits. There is one on the first page now.
    RENTING? Have you checked to see that your landlord has permission from their mortgage lender to rent the property? If not, you could be thrown out with very little notice.

• Weary_soul
    Weary_soul Posts: 272 Forumite
    edited 16 May 2012 at 1:19PM
    Options
    Rewarding bad behaviour, is never a good idea.

It's to work pretty well for MP's and the bankers eh?
    Fraud on benefits is rife.

No, not really. Just look at the governments own figures on the matter.

Taxation.jpeg
  • VitaK
    VitaK Posts: 651 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 16 May 2012 at 1:21PM
    Options
    I wish there was more job-oppotunities for people with disabilities. Many of us would give absolutely anything to be back in work and earn a living. Truth is, these jobs are rare and often comes with a very low salery.

I dont mind changes, but the last years honestly have feelt more like a campain against disabled.
  • shedboy94
    shedboy94 Posts: 929 Forumite
    Options
    Weary_soul wrote: »

No, not really. Just look at the DWP's own figures on the matter.

Clearly you believe everything you read..........imagine if they published that the world was due to end tomorrow.......!!!!
  • clemmatis
    clemmatis Posts: 3,168 Forumite
    Options
    sangio wrote: »
    Is he just a one off case? No way, he has 2 brothers and a sister including his mum & dad and they are all in receipt of DLA and a myriad of other benefits. The sister has a £300,000 detached house (mortgage free) which is currently up for sale with the intenetion of buying a 5 bed £650,000 property. All of that on 'Permitted Work'!!!

DNFTT -- please!
  • Weary_soul
    Weary_soul Posts: 272 Forumite
    Options
    Clearly you believe everything you read..........imagine if they published that the world was due to end tomorrow.......!!!!

Oooh, sorry, you're now sounding a trifle desperate I'm afraid. :)

Taxation.jpeg
  • clemmatis
    clemmatis Posts: 3,168 Forumite
    Options
    Believe what you want

I'm a benefit adviser - I know how much fraud there is.

DWP......our fraud rate is 0.05% - oohh...that's not too bad!!
    DWP......our fraud rate is 10% - WOW that's terrible...whoever is in charge must be doing a terrible job and must besacked immediately.

What is the more likely scenario to spin out??

shedboy94, the DWP's 0.05 fraud rate is for DLA. I think the DWP said the greatest amount of benefit fraud occurs in housing benefit claims.
  • MissMoneypenny
    edited 16 May 2012 at 1:32PM
    Options

Tell that to the ones who went to jail; or are trying to keep out of jail.

The banks will pay back their money with interest, well maybe not the RBS and Halifax, but you can blame Brown and Labour (Labour voters) for that. RBS and Halifax are the biggest failed banks the UK has and both are Scottish registered.

I think a few of the fraudsters who lied to get mortgages are paying the price/ will soon be paying the price, for their fraud too.
    No, not really. Just look at the DWP's own figures on the matter.

Benefit fraud is rife; it's not just one or two benefit claimants commiting fraud. If we brought in a 'caught commiting benefit fraud and you can never claim benefits again'; we would only have to show a few hundred losing their benefits forever before the other fruadsters got honest.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport