We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

New Look MSE: Get a sneeky peek

Options

Comments

• Beanz
    Beanz Posts: 66 Forumite
    Options
    Hi guys,

I have another thought/comment I thought I'd share. I'm not sure if it's been mentioned previously so apologies if it has - I didn't fancy 11 pages of catch up!

I've been using the site and forums for a little while now and have noticed a lot of new members (myself included) create a great deal of duplicate content. Could it be worth having a whopping great big button/link that says NEW USERS/VISITORS READ THESE FIRST! and then list all the "sticky" forum messages that are supposed to serve as getting started guides...

Just a thought.

Keep up the good work on the redesign.
  • lotstolearn
    Options
    Love it, Martin! A lot clearer.
  • Bizee_Bee
    Bizee_Bee Posts: 25 Forumite
    Options
    Nice one Martin - much clearer, thanks. And thanks for being here for us all. x
    "If you don't change today, your tomorrows will be like your yesterdays"

• Horasio
    Horasio Posts: 6,676 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Much better looking
    An average day in my life:hello: :eek::mad: :coffee::coffee::coffee::T :o :rotfl: :rotfl: :p :eek::mad: :beer:
    I am no expert in property but have lived in many types of homes, in many locations and can only talk from experience.
  • butterfly72
    butterfly72 Posts: 1,222 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    One improvement I'd like is a better search faciility (sorry if this has been mentioned before). I do try and see if my question has been answered before but quite often the search doesn't bring up what I'm after. I know this would be hard to do as post titles are so varied and don't often reflect the true nature of the post comments. Even narrowing the search to the appropriate section of the chat forum would be useful. (bet you can do this already and I've just not noticed!!??:o )

anyhowz, I love the new layout. Its much more upto date.

Keep up the good work!:money:
    £2019 in 2019 #44 - 864.06/2019
  • Smiley_Mum
    Smiley_Mum Posts: 3,836 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I really like the look of the new site, much more user friendly and easier to navigate. Look forward to when it is up and running.

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:
    “Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you.” - Oscar Wilde
  • Beanz
    Beanz Posts: 66 Forumite
    Options
    One improvement I'd like is a better search faciility (sorry if this has been mentioned before).
    I'd like to second this...

At the moment I've started running the following query on Google:

site:forums.moneysavingexpert.com "SEARCH TERM HERE"
    or
    site:https://www.moneysavingexpert.com "SEARCH TERM HERE"

Note there is no space after "site:"

I find this REALLY useful for the forums. Hope people find it useful.

B
  • ukbill69
    ukbill69 Posts: 2,789 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I like it, must say buttons would be better if they highlight a little, latest 10 started threads might be a good one to add.
    Kind Regards
    Bill
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 75 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The preview site contains unescaped & signs at the moment - that means it is not a valid web site and also makes me wonder about the safety of the program generating the site.

Design-wise, it looks good, but I'm unhappy that you're going to 1000+-wide - I don't want to run the browser full-screen. Why make MSE bossy like that? It seems wasteful too, as you then have to expect a chunk of your audience to not see anything you put in the outermost side columns. Elastic design is the right thing to do: lose 10% of look to get 90% use improvement.

On the bossiness note: please stop the site opening new browser windows. If I want a new browser window, I'll open one, thanks.

Anyway, here's looking forward to a slicker-looking MSE.
  • Bendybops19
    Bendybops19 Posts: 11,212 Forumite
    Options
    I think i'm the only one...but i just found it all 'too much'. I dont know...maybe it will just take some getting used to...:o I didnt like it , but then i am a big stick in the mud!! :o but i can see just how much work has gone in to it, so a big weldone for that :)

Also, i couldnt find where The Arms is :rotfl:
    :starmod: :staradmin :starmod:
    I gave up jogging for my health when my thighs kept rubbing together and setting fire to my knickers
    :starmod: :staradmin :starmod:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.9K Life & Family
  • 249.7K Travel & Transport