Madasafish!

Options
Hi,

I have just moved to a new house and the previous owner had Talk Talk and the usual crap with releasing the line. Their tardiness has caused me some problems and I had to go to BT to release the line myself. Now this is going to be released on the 14th and then a further 7 working days for Madasafish to activate my broadband.

So all in all I have had no Broadband for a month, and a month in which I have already paid for. I also provisionally agreed to a new 12 month contract with Madasafish although I have received no confirmation of this whatsoever. I wanted to cancel my subscription and perhaps go with BT Broadband as it may be easier in the long run.

What rights do I have to cancel my Madasafish subscription and supposedly 12 month contract?

Frustrated to say the least, I'm forced to suffer on dialup, and I run a web design business!

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    According to their contract:
    You may terminate this Agreement at any time prior to our confirmation of the Commencement Date.

If you are too late for this, then they will let you out of their 12 months contract:
    If you terminate this Agreement within the first 12 months after the Commencement Date:

(a) you will be subject to payment of £55 (including VAT) if your Broadband Service is a new installation (or a migration from a provider using LLU/unbundled technology) or £25 (including VAT) if we successfully migrated your Broadband Service from another ISP;

(b) you will be subject to payment for any free or subsidised hardware that you ordered from us at the Recommended Retail Price of that hardware at the time you ordered it;

You get to keep the hardware, so you would just have to write off the £55 or £25, but you would get a MAC to go elsewhere.
  • NickToye
    NickToye Posts: 330 Forumite
    Options
    Well I have already had a 12 month contract with them, they wanted to charge me £50 to move the broadband to my new property, or they would waive that fee if I agreed to a new contract. I have not received any commencement date.

SO what that contract says is, if I moved from another ISP or it was a new Broadband connection then I would have to pay. I don't think I am neither so I could just cancel and move elsewhere.

Would that Mac Code give me broadband with BT from the date that they said the line would be clear or would it still be the usual 7 days from that date?
  • Quentin
    Options
    Are you now into year 2, and paying them the retention subscription, rather than the full £17.99/month?

If so, they may be able to hold you to that 12 month commitment.

Otherwise you could just cancel with them, and start afresh with BT.

Your first step may be to ring and cancel and see if this brings any mention of a new contract.

If it does, ask them to send you a copy.

Have you paid them for the month with no service? If so, they may credit this back to you as presumably they have not had to pay BT as BT have refused them access to your line thanks to the talk talk tag.

The MAC issue is clouded as you currently have no connection - I think you would have to have the connection in place to get a MAC.
  • NickToye
    Options
    I pay £19 a month, they also say that they can't refund me a month's subscription as there are circuit charges???
  • Quentin
    Options
    Is the £19 a special deal for commiting to another 12 months?
  • NickToye
    Options
    I pay £19 a month, they also say that they can't refund me a month's subscription as there are circuit charges???
  • NickToye
    Options
    No its just my tarrif.
  • danielson81
    danielson81 Posts: 186 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi,

Try sending a private message to Samara (Madasafish Customer Care

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/member.html?find=lastposter&t=174289
  • Quentin
    Options
    OK, so if the retention deal hasn't started there is no reason why you can't cancel with them (28 days notice required).

If you have had no service for over a month yet been charged for it, I'd be inclined to escalate the complaint and seek some money back. (This may be grounds for leaving without having to serve notice)

If your line is blocked by talk talk, what are the "circuit" charges they are saying they've had to pay for?
  • Quentin
    Options
    danielson's suggestion is a good one.

Samara seems to be able to get things done when folk have failed when using the normal cs route.

Send her your MAAF account log in details so she can see what's been happening.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure