PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

June 2012 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• hattifattener
    Options
    KatyReed+5 wrote: »
    Oh and one more thing, sorry, have looked but can't see it anywhere, does grocerys cover all shopping? Including things like shampoo, toilet roll, cheaning stuff, etc? Oh and my other half smokes, do i could his tobacco in my total?

Thanks,

Katy, X

Hiya, everyone else will have lots of tips on your other questions - but to me, this one's a personal choice. I include all food, toilet rolls, cleaning stuff - but it's up to you and what you save on. I find this challenge really motivating, but at the end of the day, the only person you have to prove it to is yourself, so you can make it what you want it to be. :)

Well, I did much better today. Did spend at the charity shop ( :o ), but didn't do any food shopping. Porridge for brek with the baby, packed lunch at work (and no extras from the corner shop!!) and the in-laws provided tea of pizza and apple pie and we've got lots of leftovers in our kitchen. Scrummy!:j Hubby's packed his lunch for tomorrow, and I've got dinner lined up, so shouldn't have to spend.
    MFW start date:22.6.13 - £138555 9.7.13 - £125937
    MFD: [STRIKE]November 2039[/STRIKE] October 2035

2013 OP: £14172
    2014 OP aim: £0/£3000
  • sb88_2
    sb88_2 Posts: 194 Forumite
    Options
    Just wanted to share some news! My fussy eater of an OH cleared his plate today! CousCous, Lentils, Turkey and diced bell peppers.

This is from a man who last year wouldn't touch any type of vegetable, or pulses , or meat that wasn't beef or chicken!

Dinner was good! Kept some turkey back for Turkey and Lentil curry. I may just make my shopping budget this month :D
    Weightloss: 18lbs/28lbs (Start weight: 11st, Current 9st 10)
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    KatyReed+5 wrote: »
    Very new to all this, only found this page today, would really like to join for June, is it too late? I have to shop for me, my other half and our 5 children.and it costs a fortune.

Really looking to save where i can, have recently started to batch cook meals and freeze and currently have a drower full of enough meals to feed my family dinners for 12 days, i've just been to Sainsburys and done enough shopping to hopefully keep us going for another few weeks, spent £58.46. It was origionally £69.62 but i had £6.80 in coupons and £4.36 in offers so i saved £11.26, which is good. I think on average now we spead between £500-£600 per month, so to the end of June from today i would like to spend £300?

Katy, X
    Welcome,its never to late to join this thread, I do beleive the friendliest ,nicest,peeps are on here, I would say that if youre spending 500-600 a month that 300 may be a drastic drop. try reducing by just 100 to start, that way you will not be discouraged. theres nothing like a success to motivate you to keep going, its not an easy fix, it will take time, and I promise, it gets to be a fun thing. I just love it when I can look at my stocks and think of the money the supermarkets havent had off me.
    Slimming World at target
  • ladymay
    ladymay Posts: 1,126 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Evening!

Stocked up on the weekly essentials at Mr T's this evening. Too early for the major whoopsies but managed to get a nice roasting joint reduced from £5 to £1.75. Which means I'll have to get the girls round and they'll have to bring wine and dessert ;)

Still need to do a little £land shop for the rest, but only spent £12.32 tonight, taking my total to £25.76 so far this month. I've also lost two pounds, possibly because I'm not sticking chocolate and sweet things in the basket just because I fancy it. Skinny me, fat wallet. That can be my new mantra :rotfl:
    2019 Aim: Save £10,000
    Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want now
  • KatyReed+5
    KatyReed+5 Posts: 128 Forumite
    Options
    meg72 wrote: »
    Welcome,its never to late to join this thread, I do beleive the friendliest ,nicest,peeps are on here, I would say that if youre spending 500-600 a month that 300 may be a drastic drop. try reducing by just 100 to start, that way you will not be discouraged. theres nothing like a success to motivate you to keep going, its not an easy fix, it will take time, and I promise, it gets to be a fun thing. I just love it when I can look at my stocks and think of the money the supermarkets havent had off me.

I only put £300 as we're already half way through the month, and well we're poor till payday which is on he 28th.

Katy, X
    June £0.00 GC / £200.00
    Family of 4 : 1 adult 3 kids ages 3,4 & 5.
  • Florenceem
    Florenceem Posts: 7,959 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    We had roast potatoes, roast parsnips, chicken casserole with carrot, onion and swede for dinner. The tub Mr F got out of the freezer thinking it was casserole - was in fact chicken stir fry. I added some water and gravy granules to it.
    Mr F got some cooked sausages and bacon out of the freezer for tomorrow night's dinner. He also got out some HM pastry - will do a pie.

7366401184_b62cea3502.jpg
    Decluttering Achieved - 2023 - 10,364 Decluttering Target - 2024 - 3129 May - 17/10
    GC NSD 2023 - 242/365
    2023 Craft Makes - 245 Craft Spends 2023 - £676.03/£400
    Books read - 2023 - 37
    GC - 2024 4 Week Period £58.56/£100 NSD - 84
    2024 Craft Makes - 213 Craft Spends 2024 £312.42/£500
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,350 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Marts74 wrote: »
    Got some £2.79 quiches that are use by today for 10p each (when buying 2 together) so 1 tonight and 7 into the freezer. It happened because they'd been reduced to 89p, but at they were 2 for £4 the linksave kicked in and knocked a further 79p off each one at the checkout (I found this out by mistake then went back for 6 more). The linksave doesn't normally apply to reduced items in most stores and A**A usually have a note on their yellow stickers saying so, but it did in W******e. don't know if this is a one off blip or a loophole in their system but will try again on another reduced item when next in there and report back.

It's not a mistake. Sometimes they get it a bit wrong and end up paying you to take it away - my example was rustic rolls; normally 59p each (!!:eek: joking!!) but reduced to 9p, then on the till they went through as 3 for £1.50, takkiing off 27p - the exact cost of three reduced rolls:T.

On the other hand, last week they reduced the 6 packs of aberdeen angus quarter pounder burgers to £3.79 from £5.89 and as I knew they were a 2 for £8 offer (making them £1.90) so I picked up two and they had cancelled it off the till. However, as the stickers were still on the packs the top is coming shopping with me this week to ask for the refund - they cannot be serious about reducing it by 11p when it was going ood before the weekend. I will let you know...

SL
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • sonastin
    sonastin Posts: 3,210 Forumite
    Options
    ladymay wrote: »
    Skinny me, fat wallet. That can be my new mantra :rotfl:

Be careful on this thread then - too many tasty dessert recipes get posted :D

My OH is the one with the sweet tooth in our house. I used to spend a fortune buying him biscuits and cakes which I could happily ignore. I've picked up so many recipes on here that I've now got right into baking my own instead - which I inevitably have to sample. Sadly that means I'm swapping £s for lbs :rotfl:
  • chelseabun_3
    chelseabun_3 Posts: 699 Forumite
    Options
    £9.18 spent in Mr T today - not too bad, but could be better! I couldn't resist the cherries, but they were nearly £4 for a bag!!

I've updated my sig.

Welcome KatyReed - this is a lovely thread, you'll get loads of support and help with your budgeting here!

Have a good evening all! CBx :)
  • MrsCD
    MrsCD Posts: 1,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Same here sonastin - I've had to stop baking as much :o

Hello Katy - have you tried downsizing? If you usually buy Heinz beans for example, try the SM's own brand, or if that's what you usually buy, then try the budget version. I've done this with a few things and some are just as good, but others I prefer what I would normally buy. It all adds up :) Anyhow, welcome to GC. Hope you enjoy it here :)

Did my 'weekly' shop today. Will update sig soon.
    2024 Fashion on the ration 32/66 used
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport