Wedding Gift List - Which is the best one?

Replies

• EmmsEmms Forumite
    956 Posts
    Paula_k wrote: »
    It looks like Debenhams have changed their free £50 just for setting up a list policy. I went and set my gift list up a few weeks ago, got given a gift card and tried to spend it yesterday on a nice tiara I'd seen. I got told by the wedding advisor that you can only spend the £50 after the wedding. I suppose they want to make sure that people actually buy something off the list, but no-one told me when I set it up.

Ours was the same as that and they never told us either that we couldnt use it till after the sods! I had wanted to use it towards my bridesmaid dress. Ah well. Suppose its better than nothing tho

Emma :)
  • summerdaysummerday Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    Forumite
    When you set up a gift list, eg at Debenhams, do you have to show proof of the wedding date or do they contact the venue? Was just thinking you could say the wedding is earlier than it really is, and then be able to spend the £50 voucher before the wedding.
    Yesterday is today's memories, tomorrow is today's dreams :)
  • EmmsEmms Forumite
    956 Posts
    saraht wrote: »
    When you set up a gift list, eg at Debenhams, do you have to show proof of the wedding date or do they contact the venue? Was just thinking you could say the wedding is earlier than it really is, and then be able to spend the £50 voucher before the wedding.

You dont need to show proof but if you tell them the wrong wedding date then you will need to tell your guests the wrong date too as they need it to log into your list, and then also it would mean that your list would be closed before your wedding so the people that buy gifts last minute, and going by how many have bought stuff off mine with 5 days to go im thinking a lot, wouldnt be able to buy anything from it

Emma :)
  • Confetti.com do one which I found disappointing, to start with you can't use maestro cards on all internet sites. Also those giving gifts are charged £2 which isn't made clear to either the wedding couple or the person giving the gift. Plus if someone wants to give money toward two gifts they are charged the £2 twice! Rip off!
  • Hi all,

This may not be appropriate for you black-saturn based on your MIL (dont you love them!) but we've recently booked our honeymoon through First Choice as guests can pay towards it. We've been given little cards which we need to pur reference number etc in and guests can pay towards upgraded seats, champagne on flight, airport lounge, airport parking, and of course the honeymoon.

Have to say we thought this was a good idea when a friend of mine did it recently, although having read threads in which people think its 'cheeky' i'm not so sure now! We've been living together for a while so have everything we need. If we paid for all of the honeymoon ourselves we would have never been able to book 2 weeks on a gorgeous island in the maldives! :j
  • HoraceHorace Forumite
    14.4K Posts
    I remember vaguely producing a list when I got married but it wasnt linked to any particular store. When one of my cousins got married about 6 years' ago her list was held by M&S and everything was too expensive for me so I went out and bought a piece of antique glass that she could use - I was quite proud of myself for finding some glass manufactured on 9 September 1850 and she got married on 5 September.

One of my other cousins is getting married in September and his fiancee has asked for vouchers from Comet - I will be getting something totally different as I want to get something that they will keep and treasure.
  • John Lewis i reckon. Big company and been around a long time. After wrapit problems i'm not taking chances!

Trace
  • Just to let people know, we just registered for a gift list on Debenhams and the blurb is now that your guests have to spend a minimum of £250 before you will get the £50 gift card, so they've obviously cottoned on!
  • Thank You all for your help and perspectives.
  • We got married 6 months ago and I spent ages looking for a decent gift list site. We didn't want to be tied to 1 retailer, we also wanted honeymoon and charity contribution options all for free!

Best one we found was yourweddinggiftlist.co.uk[/url]

Some bits of the site could have been easier to use but they alway called us back quickly and it looked pretty for our guests! I am only posting because it took a long time to find a decent site!!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Water bills a struggle?

Find out what help's available

MSE News

Cyber Monday 2022

Avoid the hype - only spend if you were going to anyway

MSE Forum

£10-£50 London theatre tickets

40+ shows incl Disney's Frozen, The Lion King

MSE Tool