EXTENDED: You've got another week to add your travel & holiday deals questions for expert MSE Oli as part of the latest Ask An Expert event.

Wedding Gift List - Which is the best one?

Replies

• pigsmightflypigsmightfly Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Hi!
    I'm not getting married until next year but we are definately going with Debenhams.

We know a few friends and family members who have used them and were extremely happy with their service.

You also get a £50 gift card when you register with them :D
  • Fritha_2Fritha_2 Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    We're using http://www.whattogive.com it's internet based so it's easy to fill in and it's really flexible because you put anything you like from any shop on :-)
    Comping, freebieing and trying to pay the mortgage off early!
  • alison6692alison6692 Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    Fritha wrote: »
    We're using http://www.whattogive.com it's internet based so it's easy to fill in and it's really flexible because you put anything you like from any shop on :-)

I used these too. I was soo pleased with them!
    My guests found it easy to use too.

Feel free to view my old gift list - you need my old email

[email protected]

Love alison x
    :heart2:Mum to my little Daisy 3 and Archie 1.:heart2:
  • lynzpowerlynzpower Forumite
    25.3K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    A freind of mine did one of these themselves

they went on a round the world trip fpor thier honeymoon and had guests pay for items on it. SOme of the "gifts" were very small such as lunch in Pakistan ( 1.50) or a night in a jungle lodge ( £7)

they rigged it all lup themselves with some easy website design internet software and used a paypal account they had set up specifically.

By all accounts this was a real success, no one felt ripped off, and they got predominantly what they wanted instead of a load of tableware that they didnt need but felt obliged towards doing on a wedding list.

thanks for the heads up on the debenhams one tho ;)
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • zappomaticzappomatic Forumite
    616 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Debenhams works out very expensive for your guests. You may get a free £50 but with a list of any size your guests will more than cover that with the delivery fee they will be coerced into paying. John Lewis only give you a free coffee and a cake (expensive cafe so that could be worth a tenner!) but your guests don't pay anything for delivery. I actually think Debenhams is expensive; prices may be lower than John Lewis but the products are worth significantly less. I work with someone who used to be part of their buying operation and the stories she tells are real eye openers. (Goods bought in and sold at a ridiculously high price just so they can later be marked down for sale, outrageous mark-ups etc).
  • VickyA_2VickyA_2 Forumite
    4.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    zappomatic wrote: »
    Debenhams works out very expensive for your guests. You may get a free £50 but with a list of any size your guests will more than cover that with the delivery fee they will be coerced into paying. John Lewis only give you a free coffee and a cake (expensive cafe so that could be worth a tenner!) but your guests don't pay anything for delivery. I actually think Debenhams is expensive; prices may be lower than John Lewis but the products are worth significantly less. I work with someone who used to be part of their buying operation and the stories she tells are real eye openers. (Goods bought in and sold at a ridiculously high price just so they can later be marked down for sale, outrageous mark-ups etc).

This is pretty much why we went with John Lewis. The quality of goods was excellent AND reasonable - and the fact that they didn't charge guests for delivery!
    Sealed Pot Challenge #021 #8 975.71 #9 £881.44 #10 £961.13 #11 £782.13 #12 £741.83 #13 £2135.22 #14 £895.53 #15 £1240.40 declared
  • bellsbellsbellsbells Forumite
    743 Posts
    Another alternative is something like oxfam unwrapped - I don't know if you have heard of it, but it is fab! Basically what you do is buy a 'gift' for someone that ends up going to someone who needs it in a developing country. You can buy things like goats, mango plantations, medicines for a village, blankets and food for street children, school desks and books etc. You get sent a card explaining whatyour gift is and how it will help. There is something for every budget.
    They do wedding lists and might be a fun alternative to the usual list, especially if you already have most things you need!
    You could always combine this idea with a holiday style one - my sister did this and she got her honeymoon paid for:j

DFW nerd no = 281 (graduate)

• My cousin's getting married soon too and as she has been living with her fiance for a while they didn't really need the usually housey stuff so she's circumvented the whole "wedding list" issue by asking for Thomas Cook vouchers so people can choose the amount they want to give which they'll then spend on the honeymoon (and future holidays if any left over).
  • LizD_2LizD_2 Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    We're getting married in just over 6 weeks :eek: :eek: :eek: . We've set up a gift list with JL, but most of our things are under £25. We're in the the same situation as you Black Saturn: a houseful of stuff as we've lived together for 3 1/2 years. Most of the things on the list are either to replace worn out things or just things we'd like.

TBH our main 'request' is for people to contribute to our honeymoon (if they want to). We've booked with Thomas Cook. Once you've got a reference, guests can either ring up a branch, go in or (I think) contribute through the website by quoting the booking reference.
  • Eccle_2Eccle_2 Forumite
    186 Posts
    We went with a John Lewis list, as others have said we were uncomfortable with the idea that Debenhams would charge all our guests a considerable amount for delivery whereas with John Lewis it was free. The coffee and cake was also very nice, and they had a good choice of good quality things.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy Price Cap change

Martin Lewis on what it means for you

MSE News

Best £1 you've ever spent?

Share your most impressive bargains

MSE Forum