Is Fairy Liquid a false economy? Blog discussion

Options

Comments

• stphnstevey
    stphnstevey Posts: 3,224 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You have to admit, the price difference is phenomenal

15pish for cheap own brand or £1.50ish for Fairy. So you can afford to go through ten bottles of the cheap stuff, so doesn't matter if you need more.

Can't get my wife to convert though......'when you do the washing up, you can choose the liquid!', ringing in my ears.....
  • muddyfox470
    muddyfox470 Posts: 589 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I believe it is worth the money, nothing else I have used comes close, own-brands tend to be runnier so it pours out of the bottle, so you use way too much plus in own-brands (especially tesco) the bubbles tend to disappear much quicker.

Fairy all the way :)

Ian
    Student Moneysaving Expert :beer:
  • anniwee
    anniwee Posts: 59 Forumite
    Options
    I use 'own make' brands of many things but over the years I've stuck with Fairty. I find others mess my hands up and it doesn't. also I find that if you're vareful how you squeeze it in, Fairy really dows seem to last longer both in the bottle and while you use it wheras I often have to top up with other liquids. Even when you dilute that last bit in the bottom of the bottle it seems to still be good stuff. I think that the few extra pence are worth it!
  • needmoney
    needmoney Posts: 4,932 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Fairy is brill better than the rest in my opinion, don't buy the concentrate though I do use more than I need with that.
    Women and cats will do as they please and men and dogs should get used to it.;)
    Happiness is a perfume you cannot pour on others without getting a few drops on yourself.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

• lemontart
    lemontart Posts: 6,037 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    oh dear shoot me now I actually found this thread riveting and I have a dishwasher...........................!!!!!!
    I am responsible me, myself and I alone I am not the keeper others thoughts and words.
  • Choccyholic
    Choccyholic Posts: 224 Forumite
    Options
    We've a dishwasher too, so don't use much liquid, I too found the thread too interesting!

However, I've noticed that when I buy the biggest bottles of ketchup and squash (better ml per penny), the family take more per serving then with the smaller sizes. And when a sauce bottle is nearly finished, there is more waste in a bigger bottle than a smaller one (hubby can't be @rsed with a bottle once it's not squirting).
    I expect there are other examples, but it's a little off topic.
    Nuts just take up space where chocolate ought to be.
  • Bluepork
    Bluepork Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    I worked in a restaurant where the kitchen porters used Fairy liquid as the suds of choice and they swore by it. A small squirt for a huge sink full of pots. For Fairy's ability to clean ground on dirt it probably cannot be faulted but for home users that wash up soon after cooking then cheap brands would probably be best value.
  • LongJohnBaldy
    Options
    I'm aware of this anomoly with the "wide mouthed" containers. I don't have a problem remembering the economics, but my wife always finishes up with a sink overflowing with suds. She is like everyone else, used to the longer squeeze. I have to say she is very busy in the kitchen and probably has more things in her head than remembering to give the Fairy Liquid just a gentle squeeze. We usually buy the soap liquid that would be on offer so it's not always Fairy Liquid purchased. She is presently using Persil concentrated liquid and I notice a lot of suds with it while I'm drying the dishes. :A
  • pattayalob
    pattayalob Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    It makes fascinating reading. Fairy is Cheaper per plate than even the dirt cheap cleaners at 13p/bottle. They looked at cost/plate greasy and non greasy plates. Some of the own brands were best buys Tesco Citrus at less cost
    I have used Which? reports for fifty odd years now and have found that they are the best. Don't subscribe, just read them in the library. I use Fairy Liquid (green) it works well and it lasts months so any saving by buying supermarket own brand is totally insignificant.
  • minnehaha_2
    minnehaha_2 Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    As first poster Sooler suggests - I water down the Fairy Liquid as I go. Still use the same amount with the same results at whatever dilution.

As for washing powders - it say 2 tablets, I use one; it says one scoop - I use half.... Few of us get clothes really dirty these days - most of the time they just need 'freshening up'. Agree with the arguement that the manufacturers just want us to need to replenish supplies ASAP.

Tip re very dirty pots - soak overnight in soap powder. Don't ask me why, but it works far better than ANY washing up liquid.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure