Tesco - check your receipts !

2»

Comments

• The tesco near us always gives the double refund. The staff always seem happy to do so and when I act surprised and imply that I didn't know about their policy, they always say that it is their fault and I shouldn't have been over charged! I can't actually think of the last time an item was priced incorrectly. I usually end up going back to customer services because something has been scanned twice. If I spot this at the till, I never tell them because then they just void it, where as going to customer services means they have to refund!
  • 82much
    82much Posts: 396 Forumite
    I have returned food that has been off to Tesco and Sainsbury and never given anything other than a refund or exchange. Not even an apology even though I had driven back straight away!
  • I am a keen checker when it comes to receipts and I am fed up of the 'errors' made by the supermarkets but I spotted a slipup in ASDA a couple of days ago.

On a promotions rack were packs multi-packs of buns for £1.50 containing 4 packs of six buns which would have worked out at £2.68 (.67p each pack) if bought individually. A bargin I thought and when I looked at the label they had used the price tag for the individual pack. 67p! Not only that but the 67p packs had a discout of 'buy two for £1' so my two packs of 24 buns got a second discount at the till so £3.00's worth of buns went through at £1.

I was going to mention this as I went past the customer service on the way out but I, eh, forgot! After all the rip offs the supermarket makes I thought it was only fair the customer got this one back!
    :jKeeping Life Simple
  • 2408 wrote: »
    I always look at the reduced sections and special offers before doing the rest of my shopping in Tesco, and initially looked at the receipt afterwards to see how much I'd saved. It was then I discovered that not all the offers had been put through at the offer price. Fortunately I live near the store and was able to return promptly to get the reduction validated and refunded. No doubt, the computer hadn't been told, so everyone was being overcharged. I extrapolated this to per store/per year (there wasn't much on the tv that night), and the resultant overcharge would thus have amounted to c£6 million !

And I do wish they would provide all price comparisons for similar products in the same format. Some are per 100g, some per 1kg, some are per 1000g. Not misleading - yah boo!!

The missus hates food shopping, and I'm happy to oblige. I go in the evenings when there no screaming kids (don't worry, I was one too), and enjoy seeking real value for money - but look at those receipts!

Asda's the same. Their computers are quite often not 'told' about offer prices that are displayed on the shelves. It's a pain, esp if they take forever to go and check and rectify it.
    Heck, I even got charged for an item I didn't even buy one day - a small bottle of lemonade. Noticed before out the door so went to Customer Services and the cheeky moo there lectured me and told me I should watch that people don't add things to my shopping on the conveyor belt!
    Yeah right....... that happens all the time, people popping up and in front of my eyes, adding things to my shopping.
    *Look for advice, not 'advise'*
    *Could/should/would HAVE please!*

:starmod:
    “It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.” ~ Krishnamurti. :starmod:
    :dance:
  • Andyr1
    Andyr1 Posts: 17 Forumite
    I always check my recipt and often find mistakes and complain. The worst bit is when they march you through the shop to show the offer label on the self. Nothing like making customers feel inferior and in the wrong wasting their time!
  • I have had to complain too and its very annoying as sometimes i takes a long time for them to sort it out!!!!
  • mthanry
    mthanry Posts: 27 Forumite
    Hi,

I'm glad I came across this thread.

I usually shop at Tesco for the stuff I can't find at Lidl. Until now I never checked my receipts for the offers. I always took the 2 for 1 offers and alike for granted… who knows how much I could have saved?

I'm definitely taking care of checking now.

Thanks for the tip.

Michael
  • when you have end of day reductions with the yellow stickers, the reduced price doesn't always come through especially if the old bar code is visible.

I usually self-scan so and find my local Morrisons aren't so good at covering the barcodes with reduced stickers. The only way sometimes is to peel off the reduced sticker and scan that on its own.
    Saved over £20K in 20 years by brewing my own booze.
    Qmee surveys total £250 since November 2018
  • Paddles
    Paddles Posts: 106 Forumite
    I always check my reciepts, there was a stage where I'd be standing at customer services at least once a week. The first time I felt quite embarrassed but by around the 20th complaint I just felt bored :D I have no hesitation now in complaining even if it's only a few pence, it's my few pence and no I don't really have anything better to do :)
    Save £12K 2013 #54 - £4625/£15k
    £19,625 saved since 2011
    £50,000 by August 2014
    SPC #1925 £60
  • FOREVER21
    FOREVER21 Posts: 1,729 Forumite
    Energy Saving Champion I've been Money Tipped!
    Hi,

Different store Morrisons this time, got home and checked receipt usually do it in shop but in a rush to pick up kids. First item on receipt did not tally with anything I had bought and I could not even work out what it was!
    Telephoned store to find out what it was ,it turned out to be
    produce from their bakery, which I definately had not bought, I went back to store and got a refund.
    What still puzzles me was how the item appeared on the list as presumaly an item must be scanned before it goes on bill, and every other item was scanned properly.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure