We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

No buying unnecessary toiletries in May - Challenge

Options

Comments

• Willowbee
    Willowbee Posts: 713 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    WOW tokkiandoliver! That's an amazing list of outs.

:j:j:jWELL DONE! :j:j:j

(Your thoughts on BB creams were very interesting as well :))
  • tokkiandoliver
    Options
    Thanks willowbee, really stoked! I think the best part is now I have some space under my bed haha
    No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries Challenge
    TOTAL UU's in 2012: 588
    Total UU's in 2013: 210
    INS for 2013 starting March: 8
  • moromir
    moromir Posts: 1,854 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Just weighing in on BB creams,

Each brand does quite a few different creams often with identical shade numbers/names so its important to ebay the exact name rather than just the brand, I use the Missha M Perfect Cover BB Cream in shade 21.

As a comparison, I am VERY pale, I use 117 in Make Up For Ever HD Foundation, and 010 in Lancome 24 Hr Idole (I think thats the name?). I'm not sure of my MAC colour but I feel I'm quite pink in the face.

Missha M do an even lighter shade 13 but I felt that wasn't really working for me at all.

I have the Skin79 Pink Super+ BB cream which generally gets raved about. I found this to be shinier and I haven't really tried it out over a long period of time.

My major reason for using this is that a few hours after washing my face, I have an AMAZINGLY greasy/shiny nose, I can literally feel a covering of oil on my nose (gross sorry) whilst the rest of my skin is normal bordering on dry, so products for oily skin over-do my face leaving it tight and uncomfortable.

Anyway, with 'normal' foundation, that oil comes through with a vengence. With the BB cream I find that with no touch ups/blotting through the work day, I still look semi respectable by the end of the day. I think this is because BB creams tend to be a little greasier and its counter acting something?
  • dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Have an in although not strictly toiletries. I have been using the same makeup brushes for a very long time and they were rubbish so recently I have overhauled all my brushes, I now have a couple of good foundation brushes and a nice kabuki and today I purchased the Real Techniques set from Boots. It is the one for eyes and was £21.99 for 5 brushes in a nifty little case, also got 200 extra points with a voucher from the machine. The price might sound expensive but they are superb quality and individual brushes are around the £10 mark so I am happy.

Also managed to get some summer shoes, have worn them for the school run and they are very comfortable. Am so pleased.:T
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • moromir
    moromir Posts: 1,854 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've got the face set and the individual foundation and buffing brushes from Real Techniques and they're very good.

I also really recommend Crown Brushes, very cheap and excellent quality.
  • SuiDreams
    SuiDreams Posts: 2,393 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    dolly84 wrote: »
    Have an in although not strictly toiletries. I have been using the same makeup brushes for a very long time and they were rubbish so recently I have overhauled all my brushes, I now have a couple of good foundation brushes and a nice kabuki and today I purchased the Real Techniques set from Boots. It is the one for eyes and was £21.99 for 5 brushes in a nifty little case, also got 200 extra points with a voucher from the machine. The price might sound expensive but they are superb quality and individual brushes are around the £10 mark so I am happy.

Also managed to get some summer shoes, have worn them for the school run and they are very comfortable. Am so pleased.:T

Very jealous of your new brushes have been eyeing those ones up myself.
  • seasideDreamer
    seasideDreamer Posts: 1,363 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    VALM wrote: »
    Have bought some Ultrasun for our hols and am hoping it lives up to all the positive reviews. I saw some in TK Maxx recently. Might be worth you looking in your local store.

I too have combination skin although older than yourself. I've used the Lime Blossom cleanser before and am returning to it next now that I've got through the other cleansers in my stash. I found that I used less toner and moisturiser when using it as it did balance out my skin. Their toner is lovely too though I tend to use LE as its cheaper. Have used PCMC for years now and would never be without. You are maybe a little too young for this cream yet. I also love the Gentle Rose Exfoliator and Papaya Enzyme Peel though prefer the rose one more as it's granular.

I think timetospa have an offer on at the mo.

HTH.

Thanks Ill have a look. I got a set from QVC before and that was my last bottle. Its really good stuff but just so expensive:(
    Debt free and busy treating myself:)

No more toiletries/make up until I've used what I've got stashed since Jan 2011, graduated October 2012. Restocked Dec 13..damn those sales
  • scrappie_2
    scrappie_2 Posts: 443 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    SeasideDreamer - Ultrasun currnetly on sale in Waitrose - saw it yeaterday, 25%off if I remember.

I love Ultrasun, would never use anything else!

tokkiandoliver - amazing!
    Scrappie:p
    No Buying Toiletries in 2013

SPC # 1336
    VSP #54

• Skyllo
    Skyllo Posts: 269 Forumite
    Options
    dolly84 wrote: »

I have that set and the face set and they're fantastic! The domed brush in the eye set is the best concealer brush I've used, it blends it in perfectly.

A UU for me:

L'Oreal Elnett Supreme Hold 400ml: WBA, this is my HG hairspray, I use it every day to tame flyaways. I have a smaller size in the stash.
  • SuiDreams
    SuiDreams Posts: 2,393 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have an out and an in today.

GA - No.7 Protect and Perfect Foundation in 05 Cream 30ml (and some foundation sponges as using brush now).

In - Dove damage Therapy Intensive Repair Conditioner 50ml - from the Glamour give away no idea why applied for this one already have one in the stash that I'm avoiding using.

I must stop applying for every freebie going, there isn't much point in getting things I'm not going to use even if they are free.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure