What does no transfer in mean?

Options
My OH and I both have an ISA with the Nationwide which we have had for over a year and were recently informed that our bonus rate at 3.1% would carry on till August this year. Now I see that we could have one at 4.25% as we are joint flexaccount customers. Can we close these ISAs and reopen them at the new rate? Not really sure what the terms all mean!

Comments

• Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,840 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    No transfer in means that only new funds can be put into it. You can't transfer in money from an existing ISA.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • iansmum
    iansmum Posts: 69 Forumite
    Options
    Hi
    So can I close the ISA - put it in my flexaccount, and then open a new ISA?
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    iansmum wrote: »
    Hi
    So can I close the ISA - put it in my flexaccount, and then open a new ISA?
    Yes, but it'll count as this year's ISA allowance. They have the no transfer rule to limit the amount people can put in.
  • Money_maker
    Money_maker Posts: 5,471 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you're planning to put the limit for this years ISA allowance in the new ISA then leave the old one as it is for the mo until the rate goes down. If you put your old ISA funds in your flexaccount then they lose their tax free status.
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed. ;)

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite! :rotfl::rotfl:
  • MoneySaverLog
    MoneySaverLog Posts: 3,232 Forumite
    edited 27 April 2012 at 3:54AM
    Options
    So what people are saying is that if you invested £5,340 last tax year, you also get a new allowance this tax year of £5,640 so potentially you could have £10,980 sitting in ISAs this tax year plus tax free interest on the lot. Some have several years of ISA allowances saved so over time this can be considerable.

If the ISA was to allow transfers in you'd be able to have the lot potentially in one account earning the same high rate of interest.

However this one, if it does not allow transfers in, will only allow this years ISA allowance of £5,640. You'd have to keep older ISA's somewhere else, and no doubt have to do a transfer to get better rates as they diminish overtime to a ISA that does allow transfers in. But a word of warning on transfers, make sure you complete a transfer form from your new provider, instead of withdrawing the money yourself, otherwise you'll end up losing the tax free status of that money.
  • thenudeone
    thenudeone Posts: 4,462 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you take the money out of the old ISA, transfer it tour flexaccount, then put it in the new ISA, that's acceptable, but you can't put any more in the old ISA, and you can't put any more in teh new ISA because you've used up the allowance.

So if you do that, then at the end of this year the most you can have earning tax-free interest is £5640.

If you leave the old ISA and use your new ISA for new savings, the most you can have earning tax-free interest is £10980 (5340+5640), which is much better.

Whether this is an issue for you depends on whether you'll have more to save this year.
    We need the earth for food, water, and shelter.
    The earth needs us for nothing.
    The earth does not belong to us.
    We belong to the Earth
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills