Former_MSE_Helen Posts: 2,382 Forumite
edited 23 April 2012 at 6:52PM in Reclaim PPI & other insurance
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

Comments

• magpiecottage
    magpiecottage Posts: 9,241 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The regulation of these parasites would be funny if it were not so serious.

There are regularly complaints on MSE about businesses which flout the rules and fraudulently take money from consumers - Ryan Stanton and George Stanton are the directors of Client Connect Limited which seems to be the biggest offender.

I also regularly see complaints against independent advisers about non-existent PPI. Consumers need to be aware that if an ambulance chaser makes a claim in compliant that is untrue they could find themselves complicit in an offence under the Fraud Act.
  • jjr197
    jjr197 Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    Any CMC that provides an honest service has nothing to fear from stronger regulation!

Then again, as the banks currently ignore the regulation placed over them, wouldn't that be a better place to start?

Jimi
  • jjr197
    Options
    Unsolicitated texting? Perfect reason for regulation!
    What are the bets that texting "Stop" does nothing?!
  • ppidisgrace
    Options
    how much are the banks paying promote to advise people to go direct?
    in the interest of transparency is this a fair question?
  • jjr197
    Options
    An interesting question! But not one that we'll ever get the answer to I bet!
  • Martinf
    Martinf Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    when is FirstPlus going to be investigated, all they keep saying to us is the loan and PPI was brokered by another company who has ceased trading, people need help.
  • davidh025c
    davidh025c Posts: 84 Forumite
    Options
    No idea what the banks pay, if anything, unless they donate to the likes of which? I would bet not a lot if they did. Lets be honest, it doesnt make any difference to the bank, they pay out exactly the same whether through a CMC or direct.

Most of thier advice (that I have seen-correct me if I am wrong!) is on thier own PPI FAQ pages of the banks website, encouraging people to call them directly. I would wager they would prefer people contact them direct as the PPI legitimately mis-sold is wholly owed to the customer, not in part via 3rd party, and the whole point of PPI reclaim is ensure the customer is back in the financial position they were before the mis-sell. So going through a CMC clearly leaves them out of pocket...
    Shirley :beer:
    Only YOU can stop YOU achieving what you want in life :cool:
  • magpiecottage
    magpiecottage Posts: 9,241 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    how much are the banks paying promote to advise people to go direct?
    in the interest of transparency is this a fair question?

My guess is a lot less than it costs them in complaints to FOS by ambulance chasers about non-existent PPI.
  • Borris-the-Bear
    Options
    Which are the companies that keep sending me texts like
    <B>
    +447540123928
    </B>
    Records indicate you may be entitled to circa £3,667 in compensationfrom the mis-selling of PPI on credit cards or loans. Reply PPI for info. M Ltd.
    <B>
    +447549496989
    </B>
    You may be entitled to a refund of up to £2,950 for miss-selling of PPI on a loan or credit card. Reply CLAIM for more information or stop to opt out
    <B>
    +447563243270
    </B>
    Records suggest you may be owed £2,700 for Mis-Sold PPI on Loans/cards/finance. Text YES to start refund. text STOP to stop.
    <B>
    +447592746090
    </B>
    "FREE MSG: Our records indicate that you may be entitled to £3,750 for the accident you had. To apply free reply CLAIM to this message. Ro opt out text STOP "
    <B>
    +447707248735
    </B>
    Records suggest you may be owed £2,700 for Mis-Sold PPI on Loans/cards/finance. Text YES to start refund. text STOP to stop.
    <B>
    +447729300761
    </B>
    <B>
    +447783493784
    </B>
    URGENT! If you took out a Bank Loan or Credit Card prior to 2009 you are almost certainly entitled to £3000 compensation. To claim reply YES
    <B>
    +447842243257
    </B>
    Due to new legislation,those struggling with debt can now apply to have it written off.For more information text the word 'INFO' or to opt out text stop.
    <B>
    +447842250197
    </B>
    URGENT! If you took out a Bank Loan or Credit Card prior to 2007 you are almost certainly entitled to £3000 compensation. To claim reply YES
    <B>
    +447934202673
    </B>
    You have still not claimed the compensation you are due for the accident you had. To claim then pls reply CLAIM. To opt out text STOP.
    ?

Maybe I have enough of these things that I can make a claim for harassment now? Who do I text CLAIM to for that ? :mad:

I always forward them on to my provider. I like to think Vodafone sends in a team of highly trained Ninjas to shut each and every one of them down. Martin wrote quite an interesting article on the subject (of spam texts not ninjas):

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/consumertips/9208456/Martin-Lewis-how-to-stop-spam-texts.html
  • marina81
    Options
    I tried to claim my PPI back but in the end went to a claim company as i couldn't get any sense at all out of my bank. They kept telling me they couldnt find my PPI then my signature didnt match it was madness and i just didn't have the time to spend every day on the phone to them. Seems to me that this is a PR Stunt from the banks as it screams look at us we are the good guys. If they had just done what they were supposed to in the beginning we wouldn't be in this mess. I also don't trust them to put this right or be transparent! I am starting to loose complete trust in our banking system and their "rules and regulations". :mad:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure