Wickes delivery to a pavement

Options
Wickes delivered nearly £400 worth of tiles to a pavement near my flat. When I called they were delighted to tell me that this curbside delivery was in their T&Cs (but not mentioned in the half hour the sales staff talked to me). They were also delighted that my tenant signed for it. Of course he signed for it. Delivery is not delivery unless it's to the DELIVERY ADDRESS - not on around or near the address but TO the address! Felt like I'd been Ryan Aired! Staff were scripted enough to ask if there was anything ELSE they could help me with. I corrected them as they hadn't helped me with anything at all. I will NOT buy from this outfit again. I have learned my lesson and I will vote with my feet.

Comments

• namecheck
    namecheck Posts: 478 Forumite
    Options
    Mm, this is quite common, especially with goods that need to be on a pallett.

Whenever I buy anything now I am very careful to check all the terms of delivery and would rather paya bit more to buy from a business that has quick delivery and will also deliver to the property.

Last time I bought tiles, they were delivered into my hall (just), though the driver was not prepared to take them any further. My daughter bought tiles from Wickes and had a similar problem to you (made worse by the fact that most of the tiles were broken).
  • withabix
    withabix Posts: 9,508 Forumite
    edited 21 April 2012 at 7:18AM
    Options
    Details of DELIVERY are found via two clicks from Wickes homepage:

All products are delivered to the kerbside of the delivery address.

Seems pretty clear. You read that, didn't you?

No builders merchants will deliver anywhere other than kerbside or to the ground within a site as standard.

YOU should have been there to take delivery.

The delivery was signed for by the occupier of your property - therefore the driver has been to your property.

Why weren't you there to take delivery and carry it from the kerbside to your flat?

You aren't seriously telling us that you expected the Wickes driver to carry the packs of tiles to your flat?

This isn't Wickes fault, it's your's.
    British Ex-pat in British Columbia!
  • wellused
    wellused Posts: 1,678 Forumite
    Options
    Don't you remember the article in the paper a few years ago where a delivery driver for a builders merchant on his first day in the job in an attempt to help a customer by lifting a maxibag over a parked car ended up with the lorry tipping and the lifting arm crushing the parked car and himself getting the sack?:(
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    All the stuff I have ordered from builders or timber merchants has been offloaded on to the verge outside my house.

I thought that was normal. :huh:
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    All the stuff I have ordered from builders or timber merchants has been offloaded on to the verge outside my house.

I thought that was normal. :huh:

it is........................
  • CharlieBilly
    CharlieBilly Posts: 2,319 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 21 April 2012 at 12:06PM
    Options
    Yes its normal for kerbside delivery. You will find most suppliers do this so afraid you either have to accept this or find one that doesn't which may be difficult

http://www.wickes.co.uk/customer-services/delivery-information/pcat/deliverydetails/#delivery-faq

Where on my property will you deliver my order to?

Due to insurance guidelines, delivery will be to kerbside only. Delivery personnel are unable to enter private residences, so the recipient of the goods is responsible for any additional lifting once the initial delivery has been made.
  • premkit
    premkit Posts: 244 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    They contradict their terms when a kitchen and bathroom is delivered, all items are put where the customer wants.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    premkit wrote: »
    They contradict their terms when a kitchen and bathroom is delivered, all items are put where the customer wants.

you mean an installation service?
  • capeverde
    capeverde Posts: 651 Forumite
    Options
    We have delivery problems with customers and I actually think some have no common sense whatsoever. We deliver very large items which usually weigh over 100kg and are unwieldy. Out of area we flatpack and use couriers, but within 50 miles we deliver fully assembled ourselves. Now we do try and accommodate, we have pallet and sack trucks and will do what we can, but the amount of people who expect a single delivery driver to lift an item over a stile and through an orchard single handedly is incredible. If a customer wants to help, again we will do what we can, but we arent miracle workers and some degree of planning needs to be done first, not simply a note on the door saying please put 'there'.

If people want to pay extra for a drivers mate, we will again be happy to oblige, but we know that isnt the case !!

Re large nationals, how can they do anything but 'kerbside', firstly they will have a raft of drivers claiming compo for bad backs, then they will have customers claiming for dirty carpets or ripped wallpaper. Its peoples own faults that things have gone the way they have by the compensation culture that is all to common in this country recentluy
  • vickynleon
    vickynleon Posts: 493 Forumite
    Options
    when we ordered fencing panels and a few other items a few weeks ago they delivered them through our side gate and into our garden, it does seem a bit ridicolous that they leave it at curbside, fair enough at the door incase they damage inside the property but at the curbside is a bit stupid. as it's in their terms and conditions though theres nothing more they will do unless you got a very helpful driver.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure