New Post Advanced Search

MSE News: Ryanair to pass on budget pain for flights from Spain

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Flights, Currency & Car Hire
23 replies 4.1K views
Former_MSE_HelenFormer_MSE_Helen
2.4K posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Flights, Currency & Car Hire
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Ryanair customers on a flight from Spain this summer could be forced to pay more, even if they have a ticket already"

Replies

• JimmyTheWigJimmyTheWig Forumite
    12.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't blame RyanAir for not absorbing the extra charges. (Though you wonder if customers would get a refund if the taxes went down!)

Can't blame the Spanish government for wanting to put the taxes up.

But I think it's bank out of order that they can charge more tax on a ticket that's already been bought.
    It would be like buying a packet of chocolate biscuits and then having to pay extra if the vat rate went up between buying them and eating them.
  • KTFKTF Forumite
    4.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭✭
    Its an airport charge not a 'tax' and only gets levied when the aircraft is at the airport.

When the booking was made the airport charge was included at the known level. Now that charge looks like it might increase so you can see why they are passing it on as they would have included it as part of the booking anyway.
  • amiehallamiehall Forumite
    1.4K posts
    I can't see why the tax couldn't apply to flights booked from when it's announced. It's grossly unfair to expect people to stump up more money months after they've booked a flight.

If it's a doubling of passenger duty, it could a quite a significant percentage of the overall flight cost that would be outstanding. Hardly fair.
    Sealed Pot Challenge #239
    Virtual Sealed Pot #131
    Save 12k in 2014 #98 £3690/£6000
  • KTFKTF Forumite
    4.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭✭
    Because the charge isnt applied until the aircraft lands at the airport. I would imagine it will be incorporated into all flights booked after the new rates are announced (if they are announced).
  • hermantehermante Forumite
    454 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    Why single out Ryanair? Are other airlines going to absorb the charges?
  • ConsumeristConsumerist Forumite
    5.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    KTF wrote: »
    Because the charge isnt applied until the aircraft lands at the airport. I would imagine it will be incorporated into all flights booked after the new rates are announced (if they are announced).
    I would imagine it will be incorporated into all flights taking-off or landing soon after the new rates are announced.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • m5rccm5rcc Forumite
    1.5K posts
    amiehall wrote: »
    I can't see why the tax couldn't apply to flights booked from when it's announced. It's grossly unfair to expect people to stump up more money months after they've booked a flight.

If it's a doubling of passenger duty, it could a quite a significant percentage of the overall flight cost that would be outstanding. Hardly fair.

Spain are sadly up $h1t creek, so need all the money they can get. This is one way. Simple.
  • m5rccm5rcc Forumite
    1.5K posts
    Signs in the airport shops saying yes we COULD take our airport purchases on to Ryanair flights IN ADDITION to our one piece of Ryanair hand baggage. Been like that since sometime in 2010 apparently :p

it's always been like that. Whatever you buy at the airport AFTER X-Rays you are able to take on board.
  • Hobsons_ChoiceHobsons_Choice Forumite
    1.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    m5rcc wrote: »
    it's always been like that. Whatever you buy at the airport AFTER X-Rays you are able to take on board.

Er...don't think so. Not with Ryanair anyway, everything has to go in hand luggage, including handbags, cameras and any purchases made after security check.
    Exceptions being some British airports last year where you could use a W.H. Smith or Boots carrier bag in addition - but that was only selected airports and not sure if it applies this year.
    Normal people worry me.
  • m5rccm5rcc Forumite
    1.5K posts
    Er...don't think so. Not with Ryanair anyway, everything has to go in hand luggage, including handbags, cameras and any purchases made after security check.
    Exceptions being some British airports last year where you could use a W.H. Smith or Boots carrier bag in addition - but that was only selected airports and not sure if it applies this year.

Never had any problem with carrying a bag from the duty free as well as my hand luggage. Depends where and who you get.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support