🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

School appeals - help offered

Options

Comments

• FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The problem is that it sounds like the school told you that, when it is the council that makes the decision. When I contacted our local school when I moved here, they told me a lot of wrong information about the council rules. In our case, DS didn't get a place in our local school because feeder schools got priority over distance, meaning that kids who lived much further away but managed to get a place in the local infant school got priority over those moving later in the area needing a place in the senior school.

I personally think it is wrong to favour feeder schools over distance for primary school students when this results in traffic everywhere from parents travelling to drop their kids further away, especially when in our case, parents chose those feeder schools over their local one because the senior school went on remedial measures, but as it happpened, the school totally turned around so by the time their kids did SATS, the 'bad' school, which was always a lovely school, got better results than their preferred school! However, I respect that others would see it very differently when their kids are the ones in the feeder schools. Unfortunately, in the end, we all want the same thing, the best school for our children.
  • dizzybird77
    dizzybird77 Posts: 12 Forumite
    edited 5 March 2015 at 10:53AM
    Options
    It wasn't the school who told me, it was the admissions team at the council.....

I actually think feeder school is more important, the children have been together for 7 years and especially in a small school they have made strong friendships. I feel that to split them is very unfair.

Also as a feeder school they have a link to the secondary and so lots of activities/events are arranged with just this one school.. The children know the school and have had no contact with any other.

In our case, some of the catchment kids actually live further away from the school than we do! The catchment area is actually very strange.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,179 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I would appeal dizzybird77, what you were told by the admissions team is confirmed in the booklet you have. Does the booklet make it clear that 'feeder school with a medical issue' is a higher priority than 'feeder school and distance', which is what you were verbally informed? I'd get the book recommended to you too. :)

I do personally think if you are at feeder school out of catchment, then it is the chance you take tbh. My local kids school works on the same principle (catchment, then feeder school), get a large school intake year and then you do risk missing out. As I said, 50 kids didn't get a place in my son's year under this category (year of millennium babies and 3 sets of multiple birth kids taking an additional 5 spaces). The HT changed the admission criteria after this, as siblings used to come before feeder and he moved it to below.
  • dizzybird77
    Options
    The book is sold out nearly everywhere!! And the delivery time on the ones available is too close to the closing date :(
  • Spendless
    Options
    I suppose a lot of people haven't got their preferred choice, which has made the book sort after. I'd still appeal anyway, with what you've said. Good luck. :)
  • Dustykitten
    Dustykitten Posts: 16,503 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Perfect time for people who have a spare copy to list them on ebay.
    The birds of sadness may fly overhead but don't let them nest in your hair
  • susancs
    susancs Posts: 3,888 Forumite
    edited 5 March 2015 at 4:24PM
    Options
    The book is sold out nearly everywhere!! And the delivery time on the ones available is too close to the closing date :(

It is in stock currently in both new and used condition on Amazon marketplace sellers. The reviews are very good for the book.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/1408111403/ref=tmm_pap_new_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition=new&sr=1-1&qid=1425566730

Also did a google search and available on Play/Rakuten from £8.95 new and used from £2odd (click on used link).
    http://www.play.com/Books/Books/4-/1629102/How-to-Win-Your-School-Appeal/Product.html

The key IMO to winning an appeal is preparation. As the school your child currently attends has strong links with the secondary school you want to obtain a place at, have you made an appointment to see your sons's current Head Teacher to ask for her advice and support? She may agree to write a supporting letter or be able to provide information as to why this school may be different from others in the area. She may even have past experience on successful appeals for places at the school and be willing to share this with you. Also it won't hurt to get your child to write a letter stating his reasons for wanting/needing to go with this school with his current classmates (make sure it is in his own words, as an adult dictated letter will be very obvious to panel members). if there are any other professionals involved with your son , get supporting evidence from them. If he attends out of school clubs or events with classmates, then ask for a supporting letter from the adults running these clubs in reagard to his reliance on his classmates at these sessions. The more evidence you have to back up your appeal the better.
  • dizzybird77
    Options
    The key IMO to winning an appeal is preparation. As the school your child currently attends has strong links with the secondary school you want to obtain a place at, have you made an appointment to see your sons's current Head Teacher to ask for her advice and support? She may agree to write a supporting letter or be able to provide information as to why this school may be different from others in the area. She may even have past experience on successful appeals for places at the school and be willing to share this with you. Also it won't hurt to get your child to write a letter stating his reasons for wanting/needing to go with this school with his current classmates (make sure it is in his own words, as an adult dictated letter will be very obvious to panel members). if there are any other professionals involved with your son , get supporting evidence from them. If he attends out of school clubs or events with classmates, then ask for a supporting letter from the adults running these clubs in reagard to his reliance on his classmates at these sessions. The more evidence you have to back up your appeal the better.[/QUOTE]

I tried amazon this morning but the delivery date was estimated at 24th march ad my appeal needs to be in by the 27th, but I will check play.com. Thank you.

I have spoken to the headteacher - he is writing me a letter of support along with the SEN coordinator.

I have also spoken to his consultant but he says he cannot do more than the letter he already sent in for his application as the education department do not welcome medical professionals interfering with educational matters??!!

I am seeing our own GP in the morning to see if she will also write a supporting letter for us.

Not really much more I can do in regards to the supporting documents.

Have discovered today that there will be a group hearing first as there are so many people wishing to appeal :sad:
  • Spendless
    Options
    Have discovered today that there will be a group hearing first as there are so many people wishing to appeal :sad:
    Sounds like you've hit a large number of kids applying to this school unfortunately. Still you are in no worse a situation you currently are by appealing. I'm hoping for you that your child's medical issue should have been applied over the distance from home for feeder school criteria and you win your appeal that way. Please let us know how it goes.
  • dizzybird77
    edited 5 March 2015 at 7:56PM
    Options
    Spendless wrote: »
    Sounds like you've hit a large number of kids applying to this school unfortunately. Still you are in no worse a situation you currently are by appealing. I'm hoping for you that your child's medical issue should have been applied over the distance from home for feeder school criteria and you win your appeal that way. Please let us know how it goes.

Thank you :) I'm hoping so too.

Also thank you to everyone who has taken the time to reply x

I will update when we know.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills