🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Help! - Debt company are demanding payment

Options
13»

Comments

• giraffe69
    giraffe69 Posts: 3,562 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    a fool and his money

As opposed to just a fool
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,042 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    dont pay it, this dca probably bought the debt for about 12p in the pound they wont take it to court

I think most of us share your dislike of DCAs and their Modus operandi, but that isn’t the issue here.

It appears the OP acknowledges that the debt is valid. Leaving aside the moral issue of paying debts, for the OP it becomes a damage limitation exercise.

You may be correct about it not going to court, but on the other hand it well might and add on a lot more to the debt.

You seem remarkably cavalier about the possible effect on the OP’s credit record; and even more so about paying a valid debt.
  • ageing_biker
    Options
    having a bad credit record is a good thing, it stops people getting into debt
    smoke free since 16 feb 08
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,042 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    having a bad credit record is a good thing, it stops people getting into debt

So as a first time property buyer you use cash??

A bad credit record can stop you renting as well!
  • ageing_biker
    Options
    if the op thought the debt was valid surely they would just have paid it instead of posting on here
    smoke free since 16 feb 08
  • fishing4ducks
    Options
    Thank you Gothicfairy, and the rest for your extremely helpful advice, I have just gotten off the phone and they are sending something to me so I will have paper evidence of the payment :)

Now to go about getting money from the others! :/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family