Help! - Debt company are demanding payment

Options

Comments

• macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I don't see how CAB or any other body can help here. The OP is jointly and severally liable, and, since the DCA has caught up with them first, they will be the unlucky one whom the DCA will pursue to the end for full payment. They, like the utility co, are not interested in 3rd party disputes.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • ageing_biker
    Options
    just ignore it, dca's who cares about them
    smoke free since 16 feb 08
  • Gothicfairy
    Gothicfairy Posts: 3,060 Forumite
    Options
    What info can the CAB supply ? The OP is responsible for the whole debt and they can then chase the others through the small claims court.
    Debeo is STW though so slightly easier to deal with as they can transfer back to customer services to get things dealt with a tad quicker
    There is a race of men that don't fit in; A race that can't stand still;
    So they break the hearts of kith and kin, and roam the world at will.

Robert Service
  • Gothicfairy
    Options
    just ignore it, dca's who cares about them

Great advice as long as you don't want CCJ's or further credit / Mortgage / loans etc

Robert Service
  • ageing_biker
    Options
    thanks gothic
  • fishing4ducks
    Options
    Thanks gothic, sadly one of the other people on the debt has the same attitude as ageing biker, I however would like to own my own house one day!

Thank you all for your extremely kind and helpful words, I will be moving on the settle the debt this week. I was just wondering if any of you had any advice on how best to pay.

The letter sent to me is asking me to either phone or send payment to a po box, I however would like to have a receipt or some proof of payment in case anyone decides to come knocking. Also it will help when I go after the others for their share.
  • ageing_biker
    Options
    dont pay it, this dca probably bought the debt for about 12p in the pound they wont take it to court
  • ageing_biker
    Options
    seriously would you send money to a PO box
  • Gothicfairy
    Options
    If it were me I would pay through a credit card over the phone as that means you have the record on your file ( a bank card though should do )
    I would also ask for a FULL statement of account as that is your right and a letter to show full and final payment.
    As I explained Debeo are STW so they can supply records no matter what they claim.
    Just tell them you are aware that they are part of the STW group and that they work through credit management who have access to TARGET and CARMS

Once you have those account statements apply to the small claims court for your money from the other tenants.

Biker is also incorrect about them taking it to court, they do it all the time as they don't "buy" the debt they just remove the debtor days by changing it over to Debeo.

Oh and I am glad you understood my post about it being good advice, I did wonder after I posted it if people would see what I was saying.

Robert Service
  • ageing_biker
    Options
    a fool and his money
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts