Items you no longer buy due to increase in price??

Options

Comments

• dorsetlady
    dorsetlady Posts: 295 Forumite
    Options
    I've stopped buying the jars of tomato pasta sauce like Ragu and Dolmio. Dolmio is £2.33 a jar now which is a ridiculous price.
  • Middy
    Middy Posts: 5,394 Forumite
    Options
    dorsetlady wrote: »
    I've stopped buying the jars of tomato pasta sauce like Ragu and Dolmio. Dolmio is £2.33 a jar now which is a ridiculous price.

I never used a jar of cooking sauce. When I cook a spag bol, I use a tin of chopped tomatoes, an onion, garlic and herbs. Cost is like an eighth cheaper than a branded jar. Plus my sauce has no salt which many cooking sauces have too much in.
  • flippin36
    flippin36 Posts: 1,980 Forumite
    edited 26 April 2012 at 9:56AM
    Options
    Lamb and beef joints. So expensive now I only buy meat if its been drastically reduced. We are having beef stew tonight with 49p yellow sticker diced beef. The only way we can afford to eat meat these days.

Tomato ketchup is real luxury for us. Lol! My daughter is surviving the great ketchup famine of 2012.

Ready made pizzas - used to buy these every week as a back up if I was too tired to cook. Don't even look at them now. I make my own using left over chicken and yellow sticker cheese. (I don't pay full price for cheese ever - last block of cheese I bought was 19p. I cut it up into portions and froze it). My pizzas cost very little to make.

All baking ingredients. This used to be a way of keeping costs down. Making my own bread, cakes, biscuits. I thought I was being frugal. Now it all seems very expensive. I buy all bread, cakes, and sweet treats on yellow sticker (eg mr kipling battenburg mini cakes 19p) If I can't get them on YS we do without - they are a treat and not necessary.

Coffee. Stopped drinking it because the cheap stuff was awful and we can't afford they expensive brands. We drink Sainsburys Basics tea (29pish) and tastes fine.

Could write a very long list.....

eta: cleaning products are so expensive. Cheap bleach (homebargains), and diluted washing up liquid will clean everything.
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    Options
    Small tins of mackeral fillets. Soya milk. Toasted sesame seed oil. Hellmans mayo, don't buy cheap stuff it's horrible. Fruit flavoured yogurts, now buy basics plain and add flavour.
    Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • thriftychick
    Options
    I hardly buy any branded products anymore. I buy whatever meat is on 3 for £10 and so have alot more vegetarian meals during the week. I buy half the amount of wine I used to and never throw any food away. I have started doing a meal plan each week and find that really makes a difference.
    Just when I'm about to make ends meet, somebody moves the ends
  • rachhh
    rachhh Posts: 345 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Tina20 wrote: »
    why on earth are coco pops so expensive!!! £2.20 for a small box :( gutted
    Don't go near crunchy nut clusters then... saw them in a supermarket yesterday for nearly £4 for a small box! :eek:
    Started 30/08/2011
    Biggest Wins: GHD's, 5* Trip to London, VIP Trip to Isle of MTV Festival in Malta.
    Thanks so much to all who post :)
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    flippin36 wrote: »

Tomato ketchup is real luxury for us. Lol! My daughter is surviving the great ketchup famine of 2012.

Oh sauces! Wow, they definetly joined the list- I completely forgot I ever ate those! One thing I will say though is by cutting them out, over eating occurs much less and it would be a good thing to cut out if your trying to lose weight, a single portion (which is often far less then most people take) can be anything around 50+kcals.
  • Middy
    Middy Posts: 5,394 Forumite
    Options
    I never buy anti-deo and toiletries at full price. All of my anti-deos I have bought in the past year have been discontinued at various Sainsburys, including the one I work at.

This week, I picked up 2 x Dove 250ml for 88p (full price £3.50) and a Sure 250ml for 75p (was £3).

How can anyone pay £3.50 for a can of anti-deo is beyond me.
  • EmmaJ1983
    EmmaJ1983 Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    Warburtons bread, Hovis is always on offer in co-op for £1 or tesco 2 for £2 x
  • EmmaJ1983
    EmmaJ1983 Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    and full fat semi skimmed milk.. I buy co-ops 1% fat for £1.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure