Items you no longer buy due to increase in price??

Options

Comments

• snozberry
    snozberry Posts: 1,200 Forumite
    Options
    I can't think of any branded product that I have stopped buying. However, I can't think of a single thing that I have bought that has been full price. I always look for things on offer and stock up when I can.
  • iris
    iris Posts: 1,385 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Pringles.

We tried Stackers from Aldi at 85p and can't tell the difference;)

Also L&P Worcester Sauce.

We now buy Morrisons/Sainsburys own brand.
  • SpottedLeopard_2
    Options
    I refuse to pay £1.00 for a small tub of hummus from Mr T, so buy their Oakland one which has more in tub for 95p (although bulked out with cornflour, probably bad for you, might give up altogether soon!).

Happily have found Nutella and Marmite in Mr Al, cheaper than Mr T!
  • FrugalLina
    FrugalLina Posts: 466 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Lots of stuff I have stopped buying, including:

Hovis multigrain bread - I now bake my own
    Milky bar chocolate - I now buy the 30p bars and make them last
    Ready made salads - intend to grow my own this year
    Avocados
    Aubergines
    Cakes and biscuits unless Asda Smart Price Rich Tea at 14p
    Ready grated cheese (LOL, those were in my heady days of convenience foods)
    Spreadable butter - cheapest butter when on offer
    Tinned beans - dried now
    Soya milk - no milk at all unless I have visitors
    Fruits other than apples
    Yogurts
    Ice cream
    Cereals - I just have porridge with apples/cinammon/bananas/raisins/seeds or toast for breakfast (I used to love nutty and fruity muesli)
    Bottled water, yes, I used to buy bottled water - was convinced of this buy a friend who worked for the water board who bought his own. Have since decided he is nutty, lol.
    Expensive hot chocolate - I buy smart price and add a tiny tot of Baileys received at Christmas, yummy.
    Branded toiletries - working my way through my Christmas presents, but quite happy to use Smart Price deodorant, shower gel and hand wash otherwise
    Spray cleaners - just use WUL and water, no Stardrops yet, but give it time
    Bold washing liquid - cheapo Asda stuff used now instead
    Tuna steaks, oh, I used to love those, but at £5/6 for two, way out of my league now
    Peanut butter - that used to be so cheap, now it seems very expensive

I don't have the opportunity or the time to shop yellow-stickery and as I don't eat meat I think I am more fortunate in loving vegetarian food, with the odd fish dish thrown in if I can afford it.

Why haven't I lost weight? I will go and have another slice of HM bread with butter while I ponder that...
    31.5/100
  • LittleMissAspie
    Options
    I can't think of anything really. I've never bought branded products in the first place so nothing to cut down on there. Except Quorn and I am trying out some supermarket copies, but I'd still buy Quorn at least sometimes as it's always nicer.

Our fridge-freezer broke a couple of weeks ago and I'm discovering that junk food is sooo cheap. Usually we'd eat protein and vegetables for most meals but we've been pigging out on bread, doughnuts, crisps etc. We've spent way less than usual while eating way more than usual.
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    Options
    I forgot about peanut butter. Cant remember the last time we bought that but do have some individual portions in cupboard incase we fancy it.

Only buy value hot choc and cookies for DD.

Have loads of toiletries from presents and body shop mispricing. Should last a good few months.
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • matty17r
    matty17r Posts: 1,215 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Really interesting thread. My shopping habits have changed considerably. I love to walk out of a supermarket thinking they have made a loss out of me! In the good old coupon days at tesco my shopping was totally different to what it is now. AT that time I had teenagers at home so ate differently! Now I love to make lots of veggie dishes out of whoopsied veggies. It tastes so much nicer knowing I have made it really cheap! Don't buy any branded food except branston beans when they are cheaper than own sm's brand. Like to keep my food budget to a bare minimum so I can spend the money elsewhere. just had a brainwave about tinned salmon - will report back if I have found a bargain.
  • Barneysmom
    Barneysmom Posts: 10,123 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We've given up a few things already listed like the salmon, but the thing I do miss a lot is my Gold Blend. It's just a mad price now.
  • passatrider
    passatrider Posts: 838 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    A bit random this - Cadbury Choc trifle twin pack. It use to be a triple pack and was priced at £1.50. Then went to a twin pack with contents reduced and a long term price of 99p.

However, in March it went upto £1.18 over night so that was the last straw for me.

Never bought one since!
  • katskorner
    katskorner Posts: 2,972 Forumite
    Options
    my parents reckon sainsbobs corned beef (basics) is excellent - I don't eat it so I don't know, although not totally against it.

I love salmon and tbh have found that frozen is cheaper if you look and I only have fillets. Although the best is from the fresh counter and I only buy if reduced on YS. But love it.

don't buy much that isn't on offer. Love king prawns muchly but need to get them YS or they are VERY SILLY MONEY.

Still feeling grot.:(
    3 kids(DS1 6 Nov, DS2 8 Feb, DS3 24 Dec) a hubby and two cats - I love to save every penny I can!
    :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport