Anyone with a 25 year endowment which matured recently ?

Options

Comments

• Squarial
    Options
    Good point but it was researching this kind of information that led me to this thread and it's as good a place as any to centralise updates.

For the purposes of sharing with the wider audience, we had two policies mature in Aug 2010:

Sun Alliance > Phoenix > 20k life cover > paid out £11860
    Scot. Mutual > Phoenix > 30k life cover > paid out £24940

Now we are interested in news of 2013 Aviva (NU) payouts for 25 year endowments as we have one maturing later this year and also next. Would like to know what shortfall to expect on these former Norwich Union policies, of which the major one costs £77/mth.
  • janedoe_3
    janedoe_3 Posts: 148 Forumite
    Options
    kingstreet wrote: »
    It depends. Is it a qualifying policy?

If it is, no income tax is payable.

If it isn't, you may be liable to income tax.

Thanks very much for your reply but how do I know whether it's a qualifying policy, it was with Sun Alliance now Phoenix and it's a with profits policy.
  • bobzilla
    bobzilla Posts: 15 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 5 April 2013 at 4:59PM
    Options
    Squarial: for news of our recent payout for an Aviva (NU) 25 year endowment please see my posts above -- #27 & #37 in this thread -- hope they help you.
  • Let_Us_See
    Let_Us_See Posts: 1,319 Forumite
    Options
    janedoe wrote: »
    Thanks very much for your reply but how do I know whether it's a qualifying policy, it was with Sun Alliance now Phoenix and it's a with profits policy.

Almost sure it will be qualifying, but to be sure phone provider and ask.
  • Squarial
    Options
    Hi Bobzilla - thanks for responding to my request.

Can anyone else provide payout details for Aviva (former NU) endowments that have matured so far this year ?

If the results are good, we might risk sitting on the ISAs we have and liquidate part when the mortgage term ends.

If the shortfalls are looking horrendous, we would liquidate the ISAs ahead of time to lock in their value, as a crash due to, say, european banking instability, would leave us uncovered and having to remortgage.
  • kipperkendall
    Options
    Hi, I have an Aviva commercial union endowment and based on mine and some others on this forum they are coming in about 18 percent below target. if you call them you can get a full breakdown based on today's bonus rates to see what it is worth. I checked the last few years bonus rates with them too so I could see the trend.

remember, there is the bonus values accrued plus terminal bonus plus market valuation bonus ( something like that!) that make up the final figure.

hope that helps.
  • JaniceUK
    JaniceUK Posts: 20 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My CIS endowment has just matured so I'll post the exact figures here when I have all the details.

25 year endowment, £75.35 per month, looks like it will be paying out approx £44k (target £48k)
  • castle96
    castle96 Posts: 2,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My L&G low cost endowment matures 31/12/14. Just got bonus notice for 31/12/12

Sum insured £39010
    Basic sum insured £11938
    Bonuses £7946
    premium £61

They have a calculator online legalandgeneral.com/statement to calculate a final value.
    Mine at 12/14 'should' be £25365

Terminal bonus rate has gone up (first time for years) to 69%

Keepig fingers crossed
  • Daffodil_57
    Options
    Hello
    I have a Sun Life of Canada policy about to mature after 25 years.Payments of £28.88 per month and the target amount was £21,000. I shall receive £14,280 in a few weeks time. Shortfall a little less than the red warning letters were predicting.
    Could be a lot worse. Thankfully managed to clear the mortgage ( different property now! ) a few months ago on retirement.
  • BirnamBear
    BirnamBear Posts: 126 Forumite
    edited 23 May 2013 at 4:26PM
    Options
    Original opening poster back on with his payout.

Scottish Widows 40k endowment over 25 years.Had been paying £53.60 a month.I received today £26,562.11.Over the 25 years I paid in just over 16k , so in one respect it is not too bad.

Still remember though the bank manager 25 years ago saying to my future wife and I that we would double our money.

How naive we were when we were younger :D
    12 panels south facing,8 panels south-east facing,4KWP system,pitch 40 degrees,Aurora inverter & location is sunny Glasgow.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback