Esta application for USA rip off!

Options

Comments

• phatbear
    phatbear Posts: 4,032 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Goz83 wrote: »
    On the home page, the site highlights the $14 government fee. At the bottom of the page (you have to scroll down) they mention the $50 charge,

After clicking submit payment, I was then made aware of the full $74 charge.

So $14+$50 is $74?
    Pollycat wrote: »

Why on earth would you click to submit payment of $74 when you thought the charge was only $14?

I found this amazing why would anyone submit a payment for anything if they didnt know how much it was? What defence would there be if it had charged you $740 after all you clicked submit and accepted their t&c's when you did so.

Also what is the point of the post if you arent willing to warn people about the actual site?
    Live each day like its your last because one day you'll be right
  • Mat_Lock
    Mat_Lock Posts: 2,386 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Be prepared for questioning at the American airport if you have applied/cancelled and reapplied for an ESTA.

I had no end of bother at Newark NY airport because of this. They treated me like a criminal because I had wrongly filled the application in. Re-applied and when I got to USA they flagged up I had issues with an ESTA, interrogated and finally sent on my way with only 15 minutes to board my connecting flight. F U USA !!
  • stoneman
    stoneman Posts: 4,521 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I thought what the poster said was that the cost stated $14, then below the "submit" button, in fact so far below that you would have to had to scroll down to see it, there was mention of the extra $50. In that case I would have been !!!!ed as well and claimed the money back from my CC company.
    But seems like he/she just didn't look properly now. Ho hum.
    The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Let me try to clear this up. I don't want to name the site, becAuse I have been refunded as per their refund policy.

On the home page, the site highlights the $14 government fee. At the bottom of the page (you have to scroll down) they mention the $50 charge, but its in small writing, where their service charge should be at the top of the page, where they invite you to click a button and fill in the form.

When I was on the payment page (after filling out the form) there was total amount to say what my card would be charged. I found this strange, but I thought the fee was $14, so I proceeded with payment. After clicking submit payment, I was then made aware of the full $74 charge.

It would still be good if we could look for ourselves, I dont see how naming the site would have a negative impact on you BUT could have a positive impact on potential ESTA applicants.

Looks to me as if you just didnt read it properly
  • stoneman
    stoneman Posts: 4,521 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    So the OP comes on here bleeting about a ripoff ESTA company wanting to warn others about it, but then refuses to name them:rotfl:
    I'm thinking mud and face :D
    The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.
  • Goz83
    Goz83 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    To back and read my last post. If unsure, go back and read it again. I don't think I can be any clearer in what I said. I've clearly stated that the info was there, but that it was hidden. If there are lots of people getting caught out by this, I'm thinking there's a reason for it. These agency sites, in my opinion, are misleading people and are not putting their fees in clear view for people to see. Check the sites yourselves. some are more open than others. Enough said on this.
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've clearly stated that the info was there, but that it was hidden.

You've said it but I don't think it's true since you are so adamant about not saying which site you used. Or rather, you did say earlier that it was USA Travel Visa and on that site, there's nothing hidden about the cost. But I guess accepting you made a mistake is too much to ask.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,690 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    To back and read my last post. If unsure, go back and read it again. I don't think I can be any clearer in what I said. I've clearly stated that the info was there, but that it was hidden. If there are lots of people getting caught out by this, I'm thinking there's a reason for it. These agency sites, in my opinion, are misleading people and are not putting their fees in clear view for careless people to see. Check the sites yourselves. some are more open than others. Enough said on this.

There you go - fixed that for you.

Lesson learned, I guess. So, the moral of the story is - when you're Googling with your credit card on the desk at the side of your computer, maybe it's best if you have the attitude that everybody is trying to rip you off and triple check everything before you commit to pay.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    To back and read my last post. If unsure, go back and read it again. I don't think I can be any clearer in what I said. I've clearly stated that the info was there, but that it was hidden. If there are lots of people getting caught out by this, I'm thinking there's a reason for it. These agency sites, in my opinion, are misleading people and are not putting their fees in clear view for people to see. Check the sites yourselves. some are more open than others. Enough said on this.

I think everyone has read and reread it, unless you name the site there is only your word for it and how does that help others in avoiding this scam site?

You have said the info was hidden, but no one can verify that, your reluctance to name the site suggests otherwise
  • osborn99
    osborn99 Posts: 101 Forumite
    Options
    I will give an example of the true meaning what a rip-off is

Get arrested for the slightest thing and you have to apply for a visa in person which is in London. You phone the £1 a min hotline, they talk to you for 15 mins, then they say after you get an email phone back which they keep you on the phone for another 15 mins. £30 and not left the house yet

They then say they only do morning appointments so you have to pay £150 on a peak train oh and there is a non-refundable fee just for applying and when you get a visa you pay again.

£300-400 just to get a bloody visa and the 4 hour waiting time for someone to see you
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure