Esta application for USA rip off!

Options

Comments

• Sooki
    Sooki Posts: 240 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My main concern is fraud, because that you are putting a lot of sensitive data about yourself in good faith then handing over your credit card details. To something that is compulsory to obtain entry to a country (Esta) or access medical help in Europe free at the point of use (ehic) etc.. Not for something that you can buy in a shop & third party for such things should not be legal in my eyes, there should be a sole safe website not hundreds of different websites that could be faked up by people not interested in providing you with the product but more interested in your identity.

I do not hand over my name, DOB, address, passport details, national insurance, etc.... of myself and nearest and dearest etc, When I buy milk. These details should not ever be in third party hands and it is irresponsible of the government who need this information to permit others to access this as a third party.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Sooki wrote: »
    My main concern is fraud, because that you are putting a lot of sensitive data about yourself in good faith then handing over your credit card details. To something that is compulsory to obtain entry to a country (Esta) or access medical help in Europe free at the point of use (ehic) etc.. Not for something that you can buy in a shop & third party for such things should not be legal in my eyes, there should be a sole safe website not hundreds of different websites that could be faked up by people not interested in providing you with the product but more interested in your identity.

I do not hand over my name, DOB, address, passport details, national insurance, etc.... of myself and nearest and dearest etc, When I buy milk. These details should not ever be in third party hands and it is irresponsible of the government who need this information to permit others to access this as a third party.

isnt it equally irresponsible for the person inputting their data letting a 3rd party have their info.

the internet is a minefield and should not be used by anyone who doesnt have a basic understanding of security.

The official site for both ESTA and EHIC are there for anyone with reasonable awareness to find.

We dont all need a nanny state
  • Sooki
    Sooki Posts: 240 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    photome wrote: »
    isnt it equally irresponsible for the person inputting their data letting a 3rd party have their info.

the internet is a minefield and should not be used by anyone who doesnt have a basic understanding of security.

The official site for both ESTA and EHIC are there for anyone with reasonable awareness to find.

We dont all need a nanny state

:T Yes and that is why I was trying to draw other people's attention to.
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 25 March 2013 at 10:55PM
    Options

If you refuse to hand over those details to a 3rd party you are unlikely to need an ESTA anyway since you wouldn't be allowed to fly.
  • _Andy_
    _Andy_ Posts: 11,150 Forumite
    Options
    I kind of long for the day when a 'scam' or 'rip off' thread actually has one in it.
    Also where is the 'Martin you should look into this' comment?
    Pretty shoddy
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,691 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    edited 26 March 2013 at 8:51AM
    Options
    I nearly got duped with an EHIC application on what was an official looking site, it asked for my card details after I entered all the information in. It was only then I realised I'd been had as I know they should be free and didn't proceed any further.

I'm quite concerned as these sites could easily be scammers, as far as I'm concerned such things as ESTA s & EHIC's shouldn't be allowed through 3rd parties.

2 or 3 years ago, Trading Standards were closing the EHIC sites down, see this thread:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2651817&highlight=ehic

but I'm not sure they are anymore.

That might be because now the websites have a disclaimer (often clearly visible, not just hidden in the 'small' print) that tells potential applicants that they can get the card for free from the official website.

So maybe that's legal....and if the sites are legal (although imho it's sharp practice but not a con or scam if it is legal) there's no point saying it shouldn't be allowed - until the law is changed.

Lots and lots of these websites - not just for ESTA and EHIC but also for passport renewal and even booking driving tests!

So, the moral of the story is - when you're Googling with your credit card on the desk at the side of your computer, be careful!
  • Goz83
    Goz83 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    jpsartre wrote: »
    I don't, that was a terrible analogy.

Here's a better one: Shop 1 sells a carton of milk for £1. Shop 2 sells the same carton of milk for £2. Customer A compares the prices and buys from shop 1 because it's cheaper. Customer B doesn't bother comparing prices and just buys from the first shop he walks into which happens to be shop 2.

If there's a scam here I don't see. If shop 2 can get away with charging double the price to gullible or lazy customers all the more power to them.

Where was the price displayed in the shops? if shop number 2 had the price hidden underneath the managers foot, then maybe i woukd agree with your comparison. Your analogy is flawed. If you actually look at these sites, you will see that you have to read through to find the price you are actually being charged. The site I visited did not even show the price before completing the credit card payment and this is the only website I have ever seen this happening. Scam? Not exactly. Mis-leading....if your price is hidden away, then yes, it is mis-leading and dis-honest.
  • Goz83
    Options
    phatbear wrote: »
    ooops silly me.

ok then how about this.

I work at an airport and their kit kat chunkys are almost 90p yet I could drive to tesco's and get a 3 pack for £1.

Is this a rip off? of course its not i was aware of how expensive the item was prior to taking it to the till and if I didnt like it I could go elsewhere.

Of course these sites prey on those people who assume they have to use their service or haven't bothered checking how much they should be prior to clicking the accept button.

Is it any different to travel agents they charge to do the work you could easily do yourself and save a few quid.

So you were aware of the price of the chocolate bars. As above, these sites hide their price and so many people don't know they even exist, so people think they are only paying $14 until they click submit.

Travel agents actually do the work for you, which is the difference here. These sites don't do any work for you. You still fill in the same form and click to pay and submit. That's not providing a service and you know it.
  • Goz83
    edited 26 March 2013 at 11:51AM
    Options
    Stupid statement, but accusing the poster of working for a company involved, is pretty common when someone doesn't share the same opinion.

Nobody is ripping anyone off. People that buy from online sites, without doing any basic research for themselves, are ripping themselves off.
    A quick google would show that there is only one official site to buy Estas and EHICs from!

What's stupid about the statement? It's common knowledge that reps from companies creep these types of forums in a bid to defend the companies position.

And of course people are being ripped off! They are being charged for nothing. It's not a service being provided, its just an elaborate trap. It's not something people purchase regularly, so its an easy way to target people, especially when they hide the price and the fact that they are agents and they stuff all that info into the bottom of a page nobody will look at. The $14 government fee is highlighted very well though.
  • Goz83
    Options
    phatbear wrote: »
    payment is part of the overall cost that you see prior to pressing "submit", if you don't like it then don't accept it.

Well there you go. The fact is that there was no price in the final payment area where the submit button was. I did not know I was charged $74 until after I submitted payment. The $14 charge was very clear, but the $50 service charge was very hidden. In fact, it was the last line in the small print at the very bottom of the page. But long before you might get to the bottom of that page, there is a button to "submit your esta online. $14 government charge"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure