Esta application for USA rip off!

Options

Comments

• jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What site are you talking about? If it's https://www.USA-travel-visa.co.uk the total charge is clearly indicated, both when you fill out your details and on the final payment page.
  • fluff73
    fluff73 Posts: 38 Forumite
    Options
    well for what its worth I fell for this when I went to get new ESTA's (only for the first member of my family though fortunatly).

It wasnt until I processed it that I realised it was 3rd party. It was a subtle mix of "a familuar looking website", knowing there was now a charge so didnt suspect when I put card details in (and yes I thought it was higher than it should have been but assumed that I was on the official site so went with it) and also being in a bit of a rush.

My fault, and I felt proper done over for about an hour for after (a mix of feeling stupid and cross at the same time) but then I thought that the fact I do bother to research and find out what should be done has saved me many £'s over the years and every now and then its inevitable that you take the eye of the ball and it reminds you why you bother in the first place.

I likening this to a friend of mine who fell for the "upgrade your rental car at the airport sales ploy" when he really didnt need to. He was tired, and frankly just said yes because it seemed an ok deal at the time. The next morning he felt a right mug but then thought "i can either let this spoil the holiday or just learn from it and move on" - he did the latter (and had a great holiday and now his opening gambit when he gets to the rental desk is "before you say anything if you try to sell me an upgrade I will never book with you again")

so in summary people who are saying "more fool them" well thats me you are talking to and for the record unless you have never made a mistake in your life I would respectfully ask that you dont judge me on this. And for those who are saying "I feel conned" - if its isnt illegal then yes you have been legally conned - it happens from time to time - learn from it and move on. Life is full of this sort of thing and at least you know that you can do it cheaper next time and will be extra careful.
  • Goz83
    Goz83 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    jpsartre wrote: »
    What site are you talking about? If it's USA-travel-visa.co.uk the total charge is clearly indicated, both when you fill out your details and on the final payment page.

No. The site I used was charging in dollars and the total amount did not show until after I paid. The amount was available to see at the bottom of the page. Basically it was hidden and the price was not clearly available. If they were confident in their service offering, they would have the price clearly highlighted with all the supposed benefits of using them.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Goz83 wrote: »
    No. The site I used was charging in dollars and the total amount did not show until after I paid. The amount was available to see at the bottom of the page. Basically it was hidden and the price was not clearly available. If they were confident in their service offering, they would have the price clearly highlighted with all the supposed benefits of using them.

How did you come across the site that you used.
  • stoneman
    stoneman Posts: 4,521 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Point us to the website and let someone run a test through it. If as you say there is no mention of the extra $50 until AFTER the submit button then I would say take a screenshot of it, send it to your CC company and insist that they refund you the money, because that then is definitely a scam.
    The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.
  • jpsartre
    Options
    No. The site I used was charging in dollars and the total amount did not show until after I paid. The amount was available to see at the bottom of the page. Basically it was hidden and the price was not clearly available.

So which site was it? In a previous post you called them USA Travel Visa and said you had an email from them so should be easy enough to determine their web-address.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,690 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options

I'm a bit confused by this.

You say the total amount did not appear unti lafter you'd paid but then also that the amount was available to see at the bottom of the page.

Bottom of which page?
    The payment page?

Do you mean that you didn't read the payment page fully but if you had you would have seen the full amount you were committing to pay?

If the total amount was shown on the page that you put your credit card details in, then the amount payable in full was shown before you actually paid.

You later say that the price was not clearly available - which is different to not being available at all.

Like Stoneman, I'd like to know which website you used.
    I'm sure it might be a help to other people who may be caught out in the same way.
  • Goz83
    Goz83 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Let me try to clear this up. I don't want to name the site, becAuse I have been refunded as per their refund policy.

On the home page, the site highlights the $14 government fee. At the bottom of the page (you have to scroll down) they mention the $50 charge, but its in small writing, where their service charge should be at the top of the page, where they invite you to click a button and fill in the form.

When I was on the payment page (after filling out the form) there was total amount to say what my card would be charged. I found this strange, but I thought the fee was $14, so I proceeded with payment. After clicking submit payment, I was then made aware of the full $74 charge.
  • jpsartre
    Options
    Let me try to clear this up. I don't want to name the site, becAuse I have been refunded as per their refund policy.

Since you've had your refund, all the more reason to name the site. Do you not feel people need to be warned if they are hiding their charges? Or could it perhaps be that, in fact, they do clearly state the charge, you just missed it and now won't admit to it?
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,690 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options

On the home page, the site highlights the $14 government fee. At the bottom of the page (you have to scroll down) they mention the $50 charge, but its in small writing, where their service charge should be at the top of the page, where they invite you to click a button and fill in the form.
    So the website did state the 'admin fee' (or whatever they call it) before you got to the payment stage, you just didn't read it.
    When I was on the payment page (after filling out the form) there was total amount to say what my card would be charged. I found this strange, but I thought the fee was $14, so I proceeded with payment. After clicking submit payment, I was then made aware of the full $74 charge.
    Why on earth would you click to submit payment of $74 when you thought the charge was only $14?

That's crazy!

I too think you should name the website - this company are at least honest enough to refund money when people think they have been ripped-off, conned or scammed even though the reality sounds like the customer didn't read the important information.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure