Beauty Boxes (monthly subscription) DISCUSS HERE

Options

Comments

• Absinthe_2
    Absinthe_2 Posts: 994 Forumite
    Options
    Just ordered. Not sure about the beauty profile I set up as wasn't sure what products to choose. Would have liked to pick Make-up, Skincare, Fragrance, and Spa product, but was only able to choose 3 options. I went for Make-up, Skincare, and All products in the end.

Judging by what's been sent out previously, the fragrances sent out are usually samples, so may probably amend All products, to Spa in that case.

What have others put, and has anyone ever reeived a full-sized fragrance?
    Oh well...
    Sealed pot challenge no: 1770
  • Rose80
    Rose80 Posts: 297 Forumite
    Options
    londonlydia - I know, it is a shame about Carmine, I hadn't even tried it yet - this month was going to be my first one but from all the great reviews I was excited to give it a go.

Absinthe - I agree Glossybox is worth a go. My boxes so far have been worth it, I also really love the actual boxes they come in and use them for storage! I can't remember what I put for the profile, but I know I selected fragrance and probably not make up as I don't use it enough, you might be right about the fragrances actually, although I have only had one, a small sample, but I think they have sent out larger 30ml sized ones in the past.
  • gentleorange
    gentleorange Posts: 1,827 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Glossybox can be really good, I liked my Harrods box.

It's the discrepancy in value that gets people cross with Glossybox, their February boxes had a difference in value of £20! And if you were one of the ones, like me, who got a £1.99 bottle of soap while others got a £20 make-up product it was quite galling, as we all pay the same amount every month. But I suppose it's about time I stopped complaining about that!

Hopefully GB start to use those beauty profiles at long last, and figure out a way to be more fair.
  • Absinthe_2
    Absinthe_2 Posts: 994 Forumite
    Options
    Rose80 wrote: »
    londonlydia - I know, it is a shame about Carmine, I hadn't even tried it yet - this month was going to be my first one but from all the great reviews I was excited to give it a go.

Absinthe - I agree Glossybox is worth a go. My boxes so far have been worth it, I also really love the actual boxes they come in and use them for storage! I can't remember what I put for the profile, but I know I selected fragrance and probably not make up as I don't use it enough, you might be right about the fragrances actually, although I have only had one, a small sample, but I think they have sent out larger 30ml sized ones in the past.

I wear a very small amount of make-up every day, but I love trying new shades. If I'm going out somewhere I'll wear a little more so was worth checking make-up for me, although got a huge box of it.

I was tempted by fragrance in my beauty profile, but checked spa, in addition to skincare, and make-up, as love trying new bath products. Perhaps there might be some decent sized fragranced samples in future; 30ml sounds a good size.

I'm hoping the code for p&p lasts throughout my subscription, as saw no mention of what it was for in my email from Carmine, just the code.

I'm really excited about these boxes. I get (an almost childish) pleasure out of little treats, so I'm happy with £20 a month for an Amarya, and a GlossyBox. Seem good value, and a great way of testing products. :D
    Oh well...
    Sealed pot challenge no: 1770
  • marchen
    marchen Posts: 85 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Carmine upset a massive amount of people by the way they handled this 'merger'. Only compounded by the fact that a very large part of their customer base was actually people who did NOT want to be subbed to Glossybox. GB has a nasty habit of overhyping their monthly boxes, especially the high value item, and then in the end only a fraction of people receive that item anyway while everyone else receives rubbish. I felt appalled for the people who received the Harrods box with two moisturisers in after all the hoopla, I do receive several for beauty blogging so was lucky enough to get the 'good' box. That isn't always the case.
    For your links at the top OP another box launching soon is called Amitee or Pamper Secrets. The target audience is women of colour. I don't think I can post links quite yet though :)

Happy to keep you girls informed on a monthly basis, I've certainly always got something to say ;)
    :j
  • purplebutterfly
    purplebutterfly Posts: 3,423 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 23 March 2012 at 10:39AM
    Options
    Thanks so much marchen - I've added Amitee to the list. :beer: I hope you will become a regular contributor to the thread - if you get them free and they are rubbish, you can warn us all not to waste our pennies! :rotfl:

Just trying to find out if the boxes are Halal as I noticed that their blog features Hafsa from Muslimah Beauty (www.muslimahbeauty.com) and they specifically state they are geared to "the ethnic market". I have sent them a tweet and will update the OP when I get a reply.
    Living with Lupus is like juggling with butterflies
  • MsBubu
    MsBubu Posts: 519 Forumite
    Options
    The only box I got was GB and I have subbed to She Says. It is sad because every month I tell myself I will sub to Carmine...
    2011 Wins: Issey Miyake perfume (from December), Arcancil Nail Polishes, Revlon Fire and Ice Lipstick and Nail Polish, Beauty Hampers, Radox Shower Gels, Neal's Yard Massage oil & Massage Candle, CDs, makeup kits, tanning mist.
    Eleventh Heaven No.198 - 1.2.:).4.5.:).7.:).9.10.11
  • elisebutt65
    elisebutt65 Posts: 3,854 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Just subscribed to the Amitee box as although I'm not mixed/mixed (IYSWIM?) race, I do have a lot of asian blood in my background and I find it so blooming hard to get colours that suit my olive (slightly yellow - ugh), tans easily with huge shadows under eyes skin - AND I now have developed the butterfly of menopause- how deelightful!!!:o

Really ticked off with Carmine as if I was given the choice, I would have just kept them and the FU box. Typicak that it's the best ones that have gone. Apparently JolieBox is pants this month from reading some blogs (Lavender yardley bodywash anyone?) and it's gone down to 3/4 products from 5-6 - poo!!(I'm not counting a cruddy plastic mirror as a product!)

So far Amarya is top of my leaderboard just for the John Masters lipCalm - it's lush!:D
    Noli nothis permittere te terere
    Bad Mothers Club Member No.665
    [STRIKE]Student MoneySaving Club member 026![/STRIKE] Teacher now and still Moneysaving:D

• marchen
    marchen Posts: 85 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Joliebox was absolutely terrible this month. A boring Yardley bodywash, plus two items that had been in Glossybox in either Jan or Feb.

And you're right, we only got four products instead of five. Instead they sent a little circle mirror. :mad:

Please do tell me about Amitee! Keeping them on my radar in case they are worth chasing up.
    :j
  • purplebutterfly
    Options
    Joliebox would have been the only one other than Amarya that might have tempted me............not anymore! I didn't even know Yardley still made bodywash :rotfl:

I wonder if Naturisimo might follow Amarya with a natural box
    Living with Lupus is like juggling with butterflies
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family