PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What is your charity shop bargain of the week?

Options

Comments

• Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,622 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    You wonder, don’t you, how such people would manage to survive if they fell on really hard times and had to choose between heating their homes or eating, even at a basic level.
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    The woman I mentioned did come from a hard childhood as we talked about our past. I think she bought lots of new stuff to prove she now could afford it now as an adult, if you know what I mean.

It's just a shame that she had to be so wasteful!
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,714 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Mir! wrote: »
    Awww that is sooo nice! A double 'buzz' item - a bargain, presumably, and a thoughtful gift from your sister :)
    Yes, it would have been a bargain and I even remember she was so pleased when she gave it to me as she knew I'd love it.
    And it's lovely to be able to share these finds here with people who 'get it' and also to hear about other people's finds.
    Following on from this, there's a few bargains that have been posted that I think 'ooooh, I wish I'd found that'.

One I remember was a pure silk peacock design scarf.
    Whoever bought that, if you ever get tired of it, I'm here for you. :D

Shockingly wasteful to throw away perfectly decent clothes. :naughty:
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    i got a lovely monsoon skirt pink/purple in chunks if that makes sense love monsoon also got a pack of 3 pairs of tights in a box for a quid im going to look for more tights as seems a real bargain
    onwards and upwards
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Gosh, I am so impressed! Wish I was so organised. :T
    :o It's embarrasingly easy; I just choose a diary with a page per month for income and expenditures and enter the income on one side and the expenditures on the other. At month's end, I divide the expenditures into categories and add them into a spreadsheet. I also have a clothing inventory as a Word doc, things get added and subtracted and the balance moves up and down. Currently my entire wardrobe inc footwear, bags and accessories cost me £1,353.49. Most of the items were very cheap (well under £5) but there a few bigger ticket items dragging up the total.
    dolly84 wrote: »
    I would have thought this was a given but reading the other posts it would seem not everyone sees what is obvious to us. I like that I am not creating a demand for a new product and using what already exists as reducing, re-using and recyling are very important to me.
    :T I love this ethos. I figure that the raw materials and energy which are already embodied in existing clothes ought to be used before new clothes are created, and am doing my share of re-purposing. I particularly like patronising the Everything 50p whose purpose it a last outing before ragging for things which have gone around a region indy chazzer chain. I have had many superb purchases from there and it has greatly enhanced my quality of life.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,909 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    :o It's embarrasingly easy; I just choose a diary with a page per month for income and expenditures and enter the income on one side and the expenditures on the other. At month's end, I divide the expenditures into categories and add them into a spreadsheet. I also have a clothing inventory as a Word doc, things get added and subtracted and the balance moves up and down. Currently my entire wardrobe inc footwear, bags and accessories cost me £1,353.49. Most of the items were very cheap (well under £5) but there a few bigger ticket items dragging up the total.

:shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

Even more impressed now!
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    I counted 7 B&H sets in 1 charity shop today. Almost as much fun spotting them as hunting for bargains!

So did I yesterday! They're coming out for Christmas (at least in Sense, which is probably spending more in lecky on their shop's christmas lights than they get in sales).

One was a Men's Gift Set with sports socks so can I have an extra rarity point please?

Only 1 B&H in the Heart shop though. I nearly rebuked the till volunteer for letting the side down.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Miro - two of the staples of my wardrobe are CS finds. A beautiful dark amethyst silk jacket ( Monsoon) and a slim black knee length evening skirt (Frank Usher) I've had them at least 10 years and as far as I can remember paid less than £5for the two!
    TBH I don't particularly look for clothes in CS now as I have plenty and since I retired don't need quite so many!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,909 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    silvasava wrote: »
    Miro - two of the staples of my wardrobe are CS finds. A beautiful dark amethyst silk jacket ( Monsoon) and a slim black knee length evening skirt (Frank Usher) I've had them at least 10 years and as far as I can remember paid less than £5for the two!
    TBH I don't particularly look for clothes in CS now as I have plenty and since I retired don't need quite so many!

Awww... I bet you look stunning in your ensemble...my two favourite colours and two of my favourite 'makes'. I too am retired but go out for a pawsh dinner once a week so get a chance to dress up then. Otherwise its summit warm and serviceable. Currently esconsed in BNWT M & S thermal long johns +vesty top, 75p each, M & S purple trousers, 50p, black cashmere jumper, 75p, purple Craghoppers fleece jacket, £1.50, fake UGG boots, BNWT, £1.00 and purple gloves with those techy fingertips wot mean you can surf, gifted. Not that I am mean with heat....much!!

Then my 'Star Buy'
    In the weird 20p shop I found a very grubby looking, large, heavy, square, squat candle holder. Close inspection revealed a sticker that indicated it was Bohemia Crystal from the Czech Republic. It's sort of Art Deco stylee, 4 ins high and 4 ins across and is in a sort of stepped pattern rather like a pagoda. The bit where you put the candle is designed so it will take anything from a taper type of candle to a huge pillar candle and I've just realised that you can turn it upside down and use the other end as a a dish, (olives, nuts?). I've given it a careful wash with washing up liquid and it has come up a treat....dead glittery, and it doesn't have any chips or cracks. I am so thrilled with it! :j :p

Bliddy Nora....I had to pay 2 squids for a candle to fit the blooming' thing today. Couldn't wait for one to turn up in a chazza....which it no double will in time! :o
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Oh Miro - from your posts I assumed you were around your 40's! As they say - on the internet no one knows you're a cat lol!!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure