PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What is your charity shop bargain of the week?

Options

Comments

• Wednesday2000
    Options
    I noticed that they have B&H hand wash in an office building I was in the other day. They had it in the loo in the pub I went to a few weeks back.

I'm going to keep noticing it now!:rotfl:

My water bottle leaked all over me on the train the other day and the water drenched some notes I had in my bag. I went into a charity shop that was close to some student accommodation and they luckily had a new A4 notebook in there for 50p.

I bought a little teddy bear for my dog for 50p too, I do spoil her!
    I went into my local Age UK, the book shelves were pretty bare, but I picked up The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters in paperback for 50p.

I saw that book the other day, but realised I had read it before.:)
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    A nice reversible padded & fleece blue body warmer for £5 which I hope will soon save me more than its cost in central heating charges when the indoor temperature starts to drop in mid winter afternoons.
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,909 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Had a lovely tripette to the Otley chazzas this afternoon and found some smashing bargains. First of all, in the 99p shop I got a Monsoon, heavy, crinkly georgette, long tunic top with 3/4 sleeves and teeny brass bobble buttons down the front. Aztec stylee pattern & colours of black and tan. Then on their 'good' rail where things are priced a bit higher I found a Berketex jersey dress, knotted twisty bodice stylee, 3/4 sleeves and just below knee length, abstract striped pattern in navy, grey and cream will be perfect with my navy knee boots. Price £3.99. Not exactly the height of fashion but these jersey dresses are so comfy to wear.

Then my 'Star Buy'
    In the weird 20p shop I found a very grubby looking, large, heavy, square, squat candle holder. Close inspection revealed a sticker that indicated it was Bohemia Crystal from the Czech Republic. It's sort of Art Deco stylee, 4 ins high and 4 ins across and is in a sort of stepped pattern rather like a pagoda. The bit where you put the candle is designed so it will take anything from a taper type of candle to a huge pillar candle and I've just realised that you can turn it upside down and use the other end as a a dish, (olives, nuts?). I've given it a careful wash with washing up liquid and it has come up a treat....dead glittery, and it doesn't have any chips or cracks. I am so thrilled with it! :j The woman in the shop took such pains to wrap it well in newspaper for me you would have thought it cost a fortune rather than 20p. Mind you, I did grumble a bit to myself as I continued my chazza perambulations lugging this heavy lump of crystal about with me all afternoon. :p
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 29 November 2017 at 10:28PM
    Options
    Primrose wrote: »
    A nice reversible padded & fleece blue body warmer for £5 which I hope will soon save me more than its cost in central heating charges when the indoor temperature starts to drop in mid winter afternoons.
    I bought one from Denim & Co (for all of £1 via the chazzer :D) about a month ago and it is keeping me toasty warm now. It’s less than 3°C outside and the thermostat is set at 15°C, down from 21 :)
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • wondercollie
    Options
    Popped into a ValueVillage on the other side of my city today in hopes of finding a Christmas cake plate.

Did indeed find one and a cup and saucer souvenir of the Yukon! Complete with Moose, Wolf and Mountie. I love finding souvenir tea cups and saucers and laugh that they are all from England and bone china. I'm trying to find all of the provinces but seem to have better luck with finding individual cities.

Oh and I am the bestest Mother ever this week. Number two moved out and wanted some pictures for his walls, well I wasn't having blank spots and went hunting. Came home with the medieval lady knighting her knight and the one he really wanted. It's a Victorian era soldier (very Prussian looking) sitting on a sofa with his lady, a brunette with gold bangles and a blue gown. When he was little he thought this was his Dad and me.

Total cost for the two pictures under $40 and they are good sizes.
  • Lucy5781
    Lucy5781 Posts: 745 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    M&S black and purple thin jumper and a blue La Redoute jumper dress with long sleeves both £1 each in local hospice shop.

Also £1 each for a Xmas jumper for DS that can potentially be reused for DD in future and an Xmas dress for her for next Xmas when she'll be about 8-9 months old.

Two B&H sets spotted.
    Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Jan 2012: £16,000+ :eek: [STRIKE] Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Sep 2013: £13,023 [/STRIKE]
    DRO Completed: 30/09/2014 :T
    30/09/19 - Details now dropped off debt register. :o

My Diary - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4202761
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Lucy5781 wrote: »
    Two B&H sets spotted.
    I think unwanted B&H deserves a thread of its own :D
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,909 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    I think unwanted B&H deserves a thread of its own :D

Forgot to mention, the other day I saw a raffle prize in one of the charity shops.....it consisted of a large wicker picnic stylee basket that someone had filled with B & H products. It looked like several gifty boxes had been broken down and the items had been lovingly reassembled in the basket - all nestled in gold tissue paper with tinsel & baubles and wrapped in cellophane with a big ribbon bow.. The notice alerting people to the raffle said the gift basket was worth over £100 and it was the first prize!! Ahem..... I managed to resist the impulse to buy a ticket and had a little silent giggle to myself.....:rotfl:
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,258 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    My local TK MAXX have tons of new shiny b&h gift sets...
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    You can tell who's focused on the bargains (or maybe blinkered :D) and who's 'wasting' ;) time looking for B&H gift sets. :rotfl:

I've been in 5 charity shops this morning and not noticed a single B&H 'bargain'.

I have however bought a Nicci French 'Waiting for Wednesday' and a hardback 'A Cat called Alfie'.
    75p each from local hospice shop.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport