PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What is your charity shop bargain of the week?

Options

Comments

• dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    I've just re-read dolly84's post and realised what a dimwit I am. :rotfl:

I'm going to leave my post as it is

That will teach me to read things properly.
    Potternerd wrote: »
    I read it as armour too😄😄

I was wondering what I had typed for a minute there :rotfl:.

Pollycat - yes our style does sound very similar.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • dolly84
    Options
    Lots of lovely things being snapped up, love to read about other peoples bargains. In the spirit of trying to re-home all hand knitted jumpers I've been at it again

Vintage boucle hand knitted jumper in apple green, balloon sleeves, boat neck, hem, cuffs and neck are in burnt orange, it's quite oversized and looks very cosy with skinny jeans for autumn dog walks £4.99 - this was in the priciest shop in our little town Age UK but I couldn't resist. They had winter coats (pea coat type) in there for £14.99 whilst 100yds away the hospice shop has them at £5.79.

M&S Autograph Weekend cotton skirt in black with front patch pockets with buttons, knee length, is probably a summer skirt but sturdy cotton so it looks fine with opaque tights £1 on the RSPCA sale rail.

I'm wearing the above skirt today with tights, DM shoes, a F&F sleeveless cowl neck t shirt in black and a George soft blazer in black with white polkadots, the 3 items of clothing came to £5 and the shoes were secondhand too :D.

• silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Dolly - don't you just love it when you can pull a stylish outfit together from your CS finds. A totally unique look with very little cash splashed - well done, works every time!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,921 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Oooooh isn't life funny?! Last week I was in M & S trying out a few free squirts in their perfume department. I particularly liked the 'Fragonard' range. Today I was in the Mind charity shop and on the shelf was a sealed box containing Fragonard 'Soleil' EDP, priced at £4.50, (£32 in M & S). I know perfumes can go off in time so I was a little hesitant but as I haven't had any finds lately I decided to splurge. Got home and opened and tried it and it's fine...rather lovely in fact....so pleased! :j
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Mir! wrote: »
    Oooooh isn't life funny?! Last week I was in M & S trying out a few free squirts in their perfume department. I particularly liked the 'Fragonard' range. Today I was in the Mind charity shop and on the shelf was a sealed box containing Fragonard 'Soleil' EDP, priced at £4.50, (£32 in M & S).
    No, it’s a brilliant example of primacy weighting cognitive bias!

Why do you think I P’in everything to my wishlist? Because I know this exposure - or even subtle measure - sends a signal to my brain to be on the lookout. This works v well for books...in fact once I see it on a chazzer shelf (at a price I won’t pay - eg £4.50 - take note SCT :p) I will find it elsewhere at a price I am prepared to pay.

A recommendation for those in East London on the prowl for furniture: try the TLC re-use centre in Barking. It is radically changing lives, and will collect donations from a 10 mile radius. Yesterday I picked up an ornate tea scoop and a Bombay Sapphire glass for 10p each :)
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • dolly84
    Options
    silvasava wrote: »
    Dolly - don't you just love it when you can pull a stylish outfit together from your CS finds. A totally unique look with very little cash splashed - well done, works every time!

I do love it, DH, me and our 2 kids always go through our outfit at the weekend and add up how much it cost and then feel very smug, the kids both love a CS or carboot and even a jumble sale if we can find one.
    Oooooh isn't life funny?! Last week I was in M & S trying out a few free squirts in their perfume department. I particularly liked the 'Fragonard' range. Today I was in the Mind charity shop and on the shelf was a sealed box containing Fragonard 'Soleil' EDP, priced at £4.50, (£32 in M & S). I know perfumes can go off in time so I was a little hesitant but as I haven't had any finds lately I decided to splurge. Got home and opened and tried it and it's fine...rather lovely in fact....so pleased! :j

Well done. I think perfume is fine for years if it has stayed in the box away from the light.

• maman
    maman Posts: 28,658 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I bought a long sleeved, green top from White Stuff in CRUK for £6. Not cheap but far better quality than I'd get for a new top of the same price.

I also picked up (new) this lovely little chap:
    CX26024_2000x2000_0.jpg?itok=wlIXjh24

He was £1.49 and I thought it would bring a smile in the bathroom at Christmas as well as supporting the charity.
  • Hermia
    Hermia Posts: 4,473 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    A blouse from Edinburgh Woollen Mill for £2. I must look out for some more of their stuff (I have only ever brought shortbread from their actual shops!) as the blouse is really flattering as it nips in at the waist.

A suit jacket for £2. It is one of those styles that would look good both with work clothes or with jeans.
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,921 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well, I really made some work for myself today!

Called into our revamped Martin House Hospice chazza this morning and spotted a Monsoon dress in a heavy cotton fabric with big pink and purple flowers on a cream background. Fitted style and the right sort of length I like, (just covering the kneecap). £5.50, but brand new and still had the original price tag of £79 attached. Was in a rush so no time to try on but thought I would take a chance as I really liked the dress. Sadly it was a size too big, (I thought Monsoon usually were true to size?). I could just about have worn it but it didn't feel right - fitted dresses really need to be fitted don't they! So out came the sewing machine and I set about taking in each side by an inch all the way down, then did the lining. Whilst I was at it I decided to remove the little frilly cap sleeve bits which I was not keen on. Re-did the bits of hem and underarms that I had to unpick to effect the alteration. All in all, what with pressing the garment too it took me nearly two hours to do!! Anyhoo, I am so pleased I did it as it fits really nicely now. :j Will have to wait till next summer to wear it so I just hope I don't go up a dress size over the winter!!
  • dolly84
    Options
    Well, I really made some work for myself today!

Called into our revamped Martin House Hospice chazza this morning and spotted a Monsoon dress in a heavy cotton fabric with big pink and purple flowers on a cream background. Fitted style and the right sort of length I like, (just covering the kneecap). £5.50, but brand new and still had the original price tag of £79 attached. Was in a rush so no time to try on but thought I would take a chance as I really liked the dress. Sadly it was a size too big, (I thought Monsoon usually were true to size?). I could just about have worn it but it didn't feel right - fitted dresses really need to be fitted don't they! So out came the sewing machine and I set about taking in each side by an inch all the way down, then did the lining. Whilst I was at it I decided to remove the little frilly cap sleeve bits which I was not keen on. Re-did the bits of hem and underarms that I had to unpick to effect the alteration. All in all, what with pressing the garment too it took me nearly two hours to do!! Anyhoo, I am so pleased I did it as it fits really nicely now. :j Will have to wait till next summer to wear it so I just hope I don't go up a dress size over the winter!!

I am very impressed that you have the skills to do this at all.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family