PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What is your charity shop bargain of the week?

Options

Comments

• Potternerd
    Options
    A pair of skinny jeans for DS for £7 they come from ASOS and would have cost nearly £70 new. In v good condition and I'm always chuffed when I can find ones to fit him. He's quite tall and v skinny, lucky him!
    A Kath Kidston BNWT zipped pouch which is my new pencil case for £2
    A navy polka dot drapey Jersey top from Tu, I'm totally with Pollycat on Tu they do some lovely stuff, for £1, a navy velvety jacket from Monsoon for £6 , a pale pink M and S cashmere jumper for £2 , a Hobbs navy silk cardigan for £3, and a grey and white baby blanket with stars on it from George for £2 for the cat. Oh and a cow parsley patterned shirt fro a company called Brakeburn which looks White Stuffish for £1!
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,714 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Potternerd
    Great haul.
    Coveting your cashmere cardi and silk cardi.

I've seen Brakeburn in a couple of shops.
    I'd agree about it being like White Stuff and possibly a bit Joules.

They do nice bags too.
  • C_J
    C_J Posts: 3,041 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Today was a Nettlebed day, and it was absolutely mobbed! The busiest I have ever, ever seen it. I spent around £24 including the entrance fee, and I got:

Brand new pumpkin design Halloween bib and baby Frankenstein dress up suit for baby grandson - still with tags on. There was a whole rail of baby Halloween stuff which was new, I think a supermarket must have donated it.

Huge rechargeable super bright torch, unused and boxed

Mad Millie Italian cheese making kit, in date until May 2018

6 books for daughter's primary school class

Wool felting kit (delighted with this, it's something I've fancied having a go at for ages)

Brand new, sealed, Hobbycraft latch hook cushion kit in a lovely bold modern floral pattern

A big heavy loose bottom square cake tin, plus a couple of 12 hole bun tins which I am going to use for making wax melts in (part of my current candle making hobby)

Some balls of chunky knit wool and some more knitting needles in various sizes

A small weaving loom

Two small Falconware enamel pie dishes

A Gromit cuddly toy complete with tag, just cos I luv Gromit.

Hardback book of the Women's Institute Complete Christmas

A couple of rubber stamps to add to my collection.

They had a beautiful old wooden spinning wheel there for £20 and I was soooo tempted. I've always fancied having a go at spinning yarn but I have nowhere to put it really, so I walked away from that one.
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Potternerd - does your Tu top have a knotted hem? If so I've got one that I grabbed - I think it was in their sale for about £6. It hangs well and washes beautifully!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    How come I don't get chatted up in charity shops?
    I feel quite left out.:rotfl:

I got my bottom pinched once in a PDSA shop :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    does anyone else find the cancer research shop fab ? dont know if ours is a clearance on but everything is £3 or under except for some boxes of i think nappies today i got;
    autograph m and s silk skirt
    dorothy perkins navy skirt
    gap jumper
    phase 8 skirt
    mexx top
    planet long skirt

think thats it total £9

they also have a lot of f and f tesco i think christmas clothes t shirts/nightwear/babygrows
    onwards and upwards
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,607 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    does anyone else find the cancer research shop fab ? dont know if ours is a clearance on but everything is £3 or under except for some boxes of i think nappies today i got;
    autograph m and s silk skirt
    dorothy perkins navy skirt
    gap jumper
    phase 8 skirt
    mexx top
    planet long skirt

think thats it total £9

they also have a lot of f and f tesco i think christmas clothes t shirts/nightwear/babygrows

The CRUK shop by me is expensive for any decent brands. They charge around the £3 mark for Primark and supermarket stuff. Good brands are always £6+. They do have a good £1 clearance a couple of times a year and I tend to get better bargains on brands in the branch on the other side of the city.
  • dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Pollycat - I think Miss Marple had a lovely look going on, if you update it for today it can look very modern vintage and stylish.

Yesterday's finds

Hand knitted cardigan
    in pink with multi coloured flecks, beautifully knitted with a cable design down each side of the button/holes. Weighs a ton and even has a spare button attached inside, hasn't been worn so I think someone knits for the shop. £4.50

M&S relaxed slim jeans in black, barely worn by the look of it and still very black, hard to get a long leg in the CS so even though these were £5 I snapped them up.

George grey & white striped thin knit with long sleeves, peter pan collar in white chiffon and matching shirt bottom - £2.50

Steve Madden faux fur gilet £5 not particularly a bargain price but I love faux fur.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • GreenBitterfly
    Options
    Yesterday, I went to my local Hospice charity shop in my next-door town (if that makes sense!), and bought three books for £1. An unread copy of A Street Cat named Bob, a Daphne Du Maurier book called Castle Dor, and a (what turned out to be a rather tatty) copy of Love Nina by Nina Stibbe. I won't be keeping the copy of Love Nina, I just wanted it because it was the edition I originally read, but it's got some water damage to the pages and I like carefully read books on my shelf.

Talking of overpricing books, £4.50 is far too much, not when people can buy brand new books from Tesco, Sainsburys, Amazon etc for less than that!

I had a spat with British Heart Foundation on Facebook, when people were having a go at a woman who complained about their pricing policy. I chimed in that their books were far too expensive for what they are, when they are in not too good condition. The BHF responded back saying they price competitively, I said in my local area, local hospice charge 50p per book, and usually have a long term offer of 3 for £1, Cancer Research usually around a £1 for their books (used to be more but they seem to have brought in uniform pricing), Scope is £1 for paperbacks and £2 for hardbacks. I didn't get a response back!
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    thats interesting maman i think ours might be a clearance shop...shall enjoy it while it lasts xx
    onwards and upwards
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport