Renewables: "talking 'bout my generation"

Options

Comments

• Oscargrouch
    Oscargrouch Posts: 4,393 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    1.16 O's today; still awaiting the illusive Hawaii. coffee.gif
    2.5 kWp PV system, SSW facing, 45 Deg Roof. ABB Inverter, Monitor: 'Wattson'.
    Reg. for FIT Nov 2011. "It's not what you generate; it's how you use it that matters". One very clean Vauxhall Diesel Sri, £30.00 Road Tax: B)

Definition of 'O's = kWh/kWp (kWh = your daily & accurate Generation figure) (kWp = the rated output of your PV Panels).
  • Mabsabrabcab
    Options
    Had my panels for 7 months now, and some very interesting numbers are appearing.

Firstly, in each of the 7 months I've generated more (even if only slightly on a couple of occasions) than predicted by the pvgis calculation.

Secondly, according to the Owl monitor (which is wildly inaccurate when measuring the amounts generated and exported, especially on low days when I can "export" far more than my generation meter says I've made), my total electricity usage figures have dropped from an average of around 8.4kwh/day during June, July and August (when my usage was fairly constant and mainly during daylight hours) to 7.9 (Sep), 7.2 (Oct), 7.6 (Nov) and 6.2 (Dec).

I've gradually been weeding out the expensive stuff, running the dishwasher less because even at peak generation it nowhere near covers it in winter, using a 1kW kettle instead of the 2kW one I had before, using a battery operated hoover (my old Dyson DC01 gave up the ghost and I replaced it with a Dyson Slim), using a Wonderbag for slow cooking instead of the oven or microwave, and not leaving the TV on "for company" when I don't need it.

The biggest difference, seen between November and December, was replacing the 15 year old fridge-freezer, which had a perished seal, with a new A+ rated one. This has resulted in savings of more than 1kWh/day, and although some of that would have been covered by the solar, plenty would not at this time of year.

Generally very pleased with all of this, especially as I regarded myself as a very efficient and low user of electricity before I got the panels.

Once comment on having East-West facing panels - at this time of year, even on a sunny day like yesterday, the total generation for the whole day was less than 2kWh for a 3.8kwp system. I think the same panels facing south would generate much more than this, but I may be wrong.
  • legoman62
    legoman62 Posts: 4,573 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Only 0.8 O's today. Lunch out meant some free hot water tho:T
    16 Sanyo Hit 250s.4kWp SMA 3.8kWp inverter. SW roof. 28° pitch. Minimal shade. Nov 2011 install. Hybrid car. Ripple Kirk Hill. N.E Lincs Coast.
  • InVestor_2
    Options
    Wow, I dare to point out the 'O' is meaningless to compare different systems and:

oscargrouch keeps trying to make pathetic, childish little digs at me

all my thanks dry up :(

Ive even got a speling nazi on me now :(

Whatever next?

£3.06 today

I'll leave it to the maths genius to explain to anyone interested what that is in kWh or 'O's :D
  • Oscargrouch
    Options
    InVestor wrote: »
    Wow, I dare to point out the 'O' is meaningless to compare different systems and:

oscargrouch keeps trying to make pathetic, childish little digs at me

all my thanks dry up :(

Ive even got a speling nazi on me now :(

Whatever next?

£3.06 today

I'll leave it to the maths genius to explain to anyone interested what that is in kWh or 'O's :D

Are you sure you are feeling okay... if not, I am sure someone will rush to your aid.....coffee.gif
    Reg. for FIT Nov 2011. "It's not what you generate; it's how you use it that matters". One very clean Vauxhall Diesel Sri, £30.00 Road Tax: B)

Definition of 'O's = kWh/kWp (kWh = your daily & accurate Generation figure) (kWp = the rated output of your PV Panels).
  • Kernel_Sanders
    Kernel_Sanders Posts: 3,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 3 January 2014 at 10:31PM
    Options
    Timothy 6:10
    I've had a good look in the Bible but couldn't find that verse.
    Whatever next?
    I'll make that post tomorrow as only using a smartphone ATM.
  • InVestor_2
    Options
    Are you sure you are feeling okay... if not, I am sure someone will rush to your aid.....coffee.gif

Wow. Another pathetic, childish dig....
  • Oscargrouch
    Options
    Wow. Another pathetic, childish dig....
    Didn't want to disappoint and make you feel even worse....smiley-laughing021.gif Just trying to help you.....coffee.gif

• InVestor_2
    Options
    Didn't want to disappoint and make you feel even worse....smiley-laughing021.gif Just trying to help you.....coffee.gif

I feel fine, why wouldn't I? I'm earning considerably more than you from my system. :D

I'm curious though..

Why do you keep trying pathetic, childish digs?

Is it because I pointed out how meaningless the 'O' is for comparing systems

Or is it because I pointed out how stupid you are at simple maths?

Keep going 'little one' :D
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,814 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 3 January 2014 at 11:44PM
    Options
    Only 1.8kWh today (third of an O), and the WNW did half of that.

Wild and wicked weather. Had to take a different route for the morning walk as part of the path (near the main S Wales railway line) was under about 1 foot of water, following a very high tide. Wondered if the bods walking the rail line, were checking for flood damage. Turns out they were there to give manual signals to the trains to get the line between Cardiff and Newport operational again.

Can I say, this used to be such a silly and friendly thread.

For those that want to complain about discussing generation, wouldn't it just be easier to ignore the thread.

For those that want to compare generation between their systems or systems anywhere in the world, carry on using kWh/kWp ('Os').

For those not sure how kWh/kWp (Os) can be compared, quick lesson, the system with the bigger number did better (proportionately) than the system with the smaller number during the given time period. Simples.

Any chance of some relaxing, simple, silliness now?

Mart.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback