Renewables: "talking 'bout my generation"

edited 19 December 2019 at 11:25PM in Green & Ethical MoneySaving
28K replies 1.8M views

Replies

• WestonDaveWestonDave Forumite
    5.2K Posts
    Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kernel - if you have backstop meter then I agree the only relevant information is the FiT (21p in my case) and the effective 1.5p export on every unit generated.

However if you have a meter like mine which runs backwards, you get into a big grey area. On a normal backstop meter I'd say generate 20kWh today, use 10kWh straight off the panels, and have to buy in 5kWh off the grid at 9p per unit. However in my case, I'm generating 20kWh, using 15kWh and ending the day with the meter reading -5kWh, so not only am I not being charged for the 5kWh I'm drawing in, I'm effectively refunding 5 I've used say last weekend when it was grey. I don't doubt at some point there will be a reckoning up on this where they will try to estimate what they've lost due to this meter, and charge me for it, but there is very limited info around on how they might do this (if they bother as it will depend on the supplier) so its hard to decide whether to chase hard to get the meter changed or to leave it as long as I can let them think about it. For those of us with these meters it would be good to have some clear guidance either across the board or per supplier to show how they are going to resolve this.

Next project for curiosity is to compare the data from an online weather station near home which plots solar strength as W/m2 against my generation info to see how that relates to generation. (In part this is because I can see the weather station data from work but not the output from my panels!)
    Adventure before Dementia!
  • EricMearsEricMears Forumite
    2.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    Mine was purely restrictive, no generation, but apparently a good cyclist can maintain 100W+ for a few hours.

I really only meant it as a throwaway line but pleased to hear that it really can be done (but I shan't be joining that club !).

On the more general grammatical point, there really isn't a hard & fast rule about when agent nouns end in -er or -or.

A promoter is human but a motor non-human - which might support the KernelSanders theory. However :-

A driver is a human who drives a car but a screwdriver is a (non-human) tool.

Professors & professers are both human.

A chancellor is human, so is a chancer.

Whether talking about the support for a drawer or someone who runs, runner always ends in -er. And of course a drawer of water (or pictures) is human and a drawer to keep your socks in insn't.

etc. etc. . .

A promoter is human but a motor non-human
    NE Derbyshire.
    4kWp S Facing 17.5deg slope (dormer roof).
    BEV : Nissan Leaf e+
  • edited 23 May 2012 at 9:22PM
    OscargrouchOscargrouch Forumite
    4K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 23 May 2012 at 9:22PM
    Kicking out about 3kW currently, which is probably a reflection (no pun intended) of the panels' surface temperature, due to lack of cloud and only a light breeze.

My system is doing 2.136kW at this moment; might try and cover them up to get them to cool down. :beer:
    16.7 at the end of sunlight:j:j
    2.5 kWp PV system, SSW facing, 45 Deg Roof. ABB Inverter, Monitor: 'Wattson'.
    Reg. for FIT Nov 2011. "It's not what you generate; it's how you use it that matters". One very clean Vauxhall Diesel Sri, £30.00 Road Tax: B)

Definition of 'O's = kWh/kWp (kWh = your daily & accurate Generation figure) (kWp = the rated output of your PV Panels).
  • Martyn1981Martyn1981 Forumite
    12.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sticking for a moment with this quaint tangent we've cycled down. As I've got older I've begun to appreciate the enormous flexibility that the English language has, especially in the way it can be used to create humour, often by misleading.

Thus, 'whilst wearing my pyjamas, I opened a drawer', is pretty boring, but,

'I opened the drawer in my pyjamas', allows for the follow-up line, 'strange place to have a drawer'.

Not sure if there are many other languages, that can be distorted in this way.

Right, back to generation. Looks like being an incredible day, and possibly another 5 (or even 8) more to go. That should save the month, though I daren't risk cursing it by hoping for a + month quite yet.

Now to check my cupboard for a picture of an artist sketching a person removing water. Yes, I'm going to look in the drawer for a drawing of a drawer drawing a drawer. :eek:

Mart.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
    5.2K Posts
    Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭
    Martyn - are you sure you haven't had too much sun to your head for two o'clock? (Yes I know the spellings are different but as audio it works!)
  • KevinGKevinG Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    WestonDave wrote: »
    For those of us with these meters it would be good to have some clear guidance either across the board or per supplier to show how they are going to resolve this.
    Indeed. I have never seen anything "official" on the subject. The question is asked on (most) FiT applications. The answer is (mostly) ignored. I would not be surprised if this affected around half of all installations.
    Baxi Ecogen 24/1.0 Micro-CHP boiler installed Oct-2010; 2kWp Solar PV - 10*200W Kioto, SMA Sunny Boy 2000HF, SSE facing, some shading in winter, 37° pitch, installed Jun-2011, inverter replaced Sep-2017.
    5.2K Posts
    Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭
    No idea how many it affects Kevin - in theory it should just be the older ones, however I have seen anecdotes on the web of engineers turning up to change meters and having to go away again because the only ones they have go backwards as well. That in turn suggests that they are trying to install refurbed old ones - which might make some sense if they know they will need to start putting in smart meters soon so no point buying new ones!

Its not on the EDF form! But then they haven't updated their form to request an EPC either - sent a copy anyway but it shows the chaos amongst the suppliers. In my case their excuses for not putting in a new meter if they want one are going to be very very limited. Not only are they the DNO, FiT supplier and import supplier, but because my system was 4kW it had to have prior DNO approval so in effect they knew it was going in before I even got it! Their answer to "So why do you want to guesstimate my usage back X months when you could have put a meter in to do it properly from day 1" is going to make interesting reading!
  • KevinGKevinG Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    WestonDave wrote: »
    No idea how many it affects Kevin - in theory it should just be the older ones,
    How old is older? My meter was last changed in April 2007. It runs backwards!
    Baxi Ecogen 24/1.0 Micro-CHP boiler installed Oct-2010; 2kWp Solar PV - 10*200W Kioto, SMA Sunny Boy 2000HF, SSE facing, some shading in winter, 37° pitch, installed Jun-2011, inverter replaced Sep-2017.
  • EricMearsEricMears Forumite
    2.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    KevinG wrote: »
    How old is older? My meter was last changed in April 2007. It runs backwards!

Ours was installed around 1997 and stands still when exporting (although it doesn't exhibit the steady light that most report).
    NE Derbyshire.
    4kWp S Facing 17.5deg slope (dormer roof).
    BEV : Nissan Leaf e+
  • edited 25 May 2012 at 8:45AM
    Plot_VendorPlot_Vendor Forumite
    18 Posts
    edited 25 May 2012 at 8:45AM
    Been working away from home this week and got back to find that my panels were on strike: something had caused the solar MCB (shouldn't that be an SCB - secondary circuit board?) to trip off. Interrogating my Solo PV told me that I'd lost about 5 days worth of generation - :mad: