Renewables: "talking 'bout my generation"

edited 19 December 2019 at 11:25PM in Green & Ethical MoneySaving
28K replies 1.8M views

Replies

• John_PierpointJohn_Pierpoint Forumite
    8.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am getting results similar to those cloudless days at the end of March.

I think it is a mixture of the height of the sun relative to 30 degree roof, the SE orientation, dust on the panels(?), Misty mornings, London smog in the air and the higher panel temperatures.

But today my 3.6 system, previously generating a sustained 2.9 at noon, has been over 3.0 kW for about 2.5 hours today so I am hoping for a record.

Nothing like an easterly breeze for sending that carp hanging in the air over London, back were it belongs (Poisoning the people around LHR ?).
    25.3:j

30th April was the previous record at 24.4

[3.6 kW system 30 degree elevation facing SE in S. Essex]
  • OscargrouchOscargrouch Forumite
    4K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Saturday 17.7kW:beer: Too many planes flying into Birmingham Airport, too low, causing a bit of shade:rotfl:
    2.5 kWp PV system, SSW facing, 45 Deg Roof. ABB Inverter, Monitor: 'Wattson'.
    Reg. for FIT Nov 2011. "It's not what you generate; it's how you use it that matters". One very clean Vauxhall Diesel Sri, £30.00 Road Tax: B)

Definition of 'O's = kWh/kWp (kWh = your daily & accurate Generation figure) (kWp = the rated output of your PV Panels).
  • Kernel_SandersKernel_Sanders Forumite
    3.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    There were some small clouds today, but not many. I reckon Eric got bang on 27kWh today :)
  • EricMearsEricMears Forumite
    2.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    There were some small clouds today, but not many. I reckon Eric got bang on 27kWh today

Close - but no cigar.

Definitely 'haze' around again. Just been out and the distant hills were rather blurry.
    NE Derbyshire.
    4kWp S Facing 17.5deg slope (dormer roof).
    BEV : Nissan Leaf e+
  • GaryMo_2GaryMo_2 Forumite
    116 Posts
    New record for me today with 28.73kWh which eclipses the previous record from yesterday of 28.67kWh by a massive 60W!
    16 x 250W JA Solar Panels (JAM6-60-250) : Fronius IG TL 3.6 Inverter : South Facing : 28 Degree Pitch : No Shading : Manchester M46
  • KevinGKevinG Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Tantalisingly close to the 30 Apr all-time record - 12.87kWh vs 12.92 kWh (2kWp system). I depollinated and de-birdmucked the panels this afternoon so hope for better tomorrow!
    Baxi Ecogen 24/1.0 Micro-CHP boiler installed Oct-2010; 2kWp Solar PV - 10*200W Kioto, SMA Sunny Boy 2000HF, SSE facing, some shading in winter, 37° pitch, installed Jun-2011, inverter replaced Sep-2017.
  • Martyn1981Martyn1981 Forumite
    12.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well if my system is going to hit max, today's the day. Weather forecast is for solid suns right through to 3pm, then some light cloud moving in.

With an ESE system I can get 700W+ after 3pm if there's a little cloud, but the last few days I've been seeing as little as 100W as the sky is too clear to bounce anything back down. Great generation of 20 to 22, but missing out on those last possible 2 or 3 units in the afternoon.

I hope their piece of lucky seaweed is working today.

Mart.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Kernel_SandersKernel_Sanders Forumite
    3.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    GaryMo wrote: »
    New record for me today with 28.73kWh which eclipses the previous record from yesterday of 28.67kWh by a massive 60W!
    Watt hours, please!
    Mine was down by just 30Wh, hence my rash overestimation of my neighbour's production :)
  • GaryMo_2GaryMo_2 Forumite
    116 Posts
    Watt hours, please!

Lol, 60Wh, I failed on a technicality and being an electrician who knows the difference between watts and watt hours I feel ashamed!
    Maybe I'll just put it down to too much sun and long may it continue :j
    16 x 250W JA Solar Panels (JAM6-60-250) : Fronius IG TL 3.6 Inverter : South Facing : 28 Degree Pitch : No Shading : Manchester M46
  • OscargrouchOscargrouch Forumite
    4K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    EricMears wrote: »
    Definitely 'haze' around again. Just been out and the distant hills were rather blurry.

Keep off the Lager Eric!:beer:
    2.5 kWp PV system, SSW facing, 45 Deg Roof. ABB Inverter, Monitor: 'Wattson'.
    Reg. for FIT Nov 2011. "It's not what you generate; it's how you use it that matters". One very clean Vauxhall Diesel Sri, £30.00 Road Tax: B)

Definition of 'O's = kWh/kWp (kWh = your daily & accurate Generation figure) (kWp = the rated output of your PV Panels).