Renewables: "talking 'bout my generation"

Options

Comments

• jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,668 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Best day of year so far. 19kWh so 6.3 Os
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • ajbell
    ajbell Posts: 1,151 Forumite
    Options
    6.1 Os today.
    4kWp, South facing, 16 x phono solar panels, Solis inverter, Lincolnshire.
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    EricMears wrote: »
    That' a considerable over-simplification hence I'm afraid just plain wrong.

If you say so. But with the specs of a local sample system, combined with local weather, and all systems registered with the DNO, OFGEM and FiT provider, I suspect it's you that's got it wrong, and the industry that has it right.

If one knows the total kWp of the 244 individual sites and the total installed kWp over the whole country

One would.

244 isn't a very large number compared with the hundreds of thousands (millions even ?) of installations over the country.
    The 244 are probably unchanged from year to year whereas the whole country adds a few more every year. Newer installations will probably use more efficient panels.
    A very large sample population randomly sampled would probably include a 'fair' share of optimally & non-optimally aligned panels. A small sample population is unlikely to do that accurately.

244 sounds reasonable, it doesn't have to reflect the number of installs, just a national spread.

New installations ..... so what, they will just be estimated from local samples, just like the rest.

Efficiency is also irrelevant, as efficiency simply reflects the size of the system relative to the kWp. A 4kWp system may be 25.6m2 or 19.4m2, but it's still registered as a 4kWp system with generation proportional. Different generation 'styles' of different panel technologies can simply be taken into account (if relevant) based on UK imports and sales.

Sampling would not have to include every local orientation and pitch, as these could be partially averaged out, but also calculated for based on the performance of the sample system, time of year, and weather through the day.

I'd hate to even try and estimate the sources of error in such a calculation but would expect it to be at least 10%. The only real hope is that there are likely to be errors in both directions so they might balance out to some extent.

If you say so, but 10% seems very high given the level of knowledge and the number of years of generation already to fine tune calculations, and to review estimates against reported metered annual generation figures.

BTW, just short of 4 O's yesterday, so a very nice run this month so far.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • EricMears
    EricMears Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    I suspect it's you that's got it wrong, and the industry that has it right.
    Again, you're quoting out of context ! "The industry" does NOT attempt to compare two individual properties using the simple kWh/kWp ratio. Trying to do that has been my only ever criticism of that ratio.
    NE Derbyshire.4kWp S Facing 17.5deg slope (dormer roof).24kWh of Pylontech batteries with Lux controller BEV : Hyundai Ioniq5
  • countryman_2
    Options
    Well, all I know is I was just a shade off a Maiden yesterday at 5.91 O's ...
    4kw PV fitted 4th July 2014 (Green Energy NW £5600). WSW facing, 30 deg Pitch, Unshaded, Samil Solar River inverter, 16 Solar World Mono panels, Iboost on Immersion Heater. located in mid Lincolnshire.
  • Markj1110
    Markj1110 Posts: 912 Forumite
    Options
    5.61 O's yesterday, A HAWAII, again. :T
    3.96 kWp System, SSE Facing, 30 Degree Pitch, 12 x 330W BenQ Panels, Solar Edge Inverter, Lincoln, Lincolnshire. Installed 26th May 2015.
  • ASavvyBuyer
    ASavvyBuyer Posts: 1,737 Forumite
    Options
    A bit cloudier yesterday afternoon, just 3.585 O's for yesterday.

Good start for today though with the morning sun in the east bouncing off the clouds this morning; produced over 1kWh already from our West facing panels.
  • rugbyleaguesmate
    Options
    4.31os 29kw today, 290kw for the month and 2.39mw since install a lot of 2s and 9s there
    6.72kw Pv Ja Solar 280w * 24 panels, Solar Edge inverter, South facing no shading.
    South Lake District, delightful view of Morecambe Bay. Not Saving up for a battery too expensive:j:mad::hello:

July Solar target 769kw
  • Merlin139
    Merlin139 Posts: 6,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Started great, then a roller coaster of a day!

Ended with a Magnum! of O's :D
    3.795 kWp Solar PV System. Capital of the Wolds

• legoman62
    legoman62 Posts: 4,571 Forumite
    Options
    Poor day on the E. coast today.......He thinks. 2.4 O's:D
    16 Sanyo Hit 250s.4kWp SMA 3.8kWp inverter. SW roof. 28° pitch. Minimal shade. Nov 2011 install. Hybrid car. Ripple Kirk Hill. N.E Lincs Coast.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback